Any audiophiles or head-fi'ers?

Help Support Talkbeer:

Love emotiva stuff, I have their xpa2 powering my Martin logan montages. My emotiva preamp blew recently, but I don't mind as it's under warranty
Yeah. The XPA-3 powers the fronts, my Marantz receiver handles the surrounds. Want a second XPA-3 but they're sofa king huge I need to figure out logistics!

Yeah. The XPA-3 powers the fronts, my Marantz receiver handles the surrounds. Want a second XPA-3 but they're sofa king huge I need to figure out logistics!
My wife shut me down on that one. With my current logistics, stereo works wonders. Once I get my house, it's on like Donkey Kong.

My goodness... I would love to get a listen to those...
If I let you borrow these and something happened to them, would you pay for the repairs?

Would you want to borrow the Lyr 2 as well?

For cables I only have a 3.5mm aux and 1/4" for the Primes. Dunno if you run balanced/XLR or whatever.

If I let you borrow these and something happened to them, would you pay for the repairs?

Would you want to borrow the Lyr 2 as well?

For cables I only have a 3.5mm aux and 1/4" for the Primes. Dunno if you run balanced/XLR or whatever.
Thanks man, but I'd be far to worried that something would happen to them. Really appreciate the offer though!

I just need to sell off my LCD-2's to fund another big headphone purchase!

Can I "mix and match" speakers? After doing a few quick searches it seems like it generally doesn't work well.

Right now I am using Boston Acoustic MCS 160 Speaker System (4 satellite speakers, center, and sub) seen here:
http://electronics.woot.com/offers/denon-5-1ch-a-v-home-theater-system-4

I found a pair of Boston Acoustic HD5s at Good Will for $16. If I set these up as my rear speakers, would it sound good or shitty? I know for $16 it's almost just worth a shot but I figured I'd ask around first.

Boston acoustics should work very well with Boston acoustics. Doesn't make much sense to upgrade rear speakers before the fronts. I would use them as fronts over the cubes. Test them out, for $16 you can't go wrong.

So uh, I need some assistance if at all possible fellow hi-fiers... I somehow lost my portable headphone amplifier that I would use at the gym (shows how long it has been since I've gone to the gym..) and I am looking for a new one.

I believe I used to have the Fiio Kilimanjaro and it worked O-K. If I used my openear phones I would sometimes have to turn the gain to high and turn it all the way up.

I'd like to find something a little more powerful but still stay under the $100 mark if possible.

Any reccomendations? I'll be using the amp with some Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs and on occasion with some Mr.Speakers Alpha Primes.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

So uh, I need some assistance if at all possible fellow hi-fiers... I somehow lost my portable headphone amplifier that I would use at the gym (shows how long it has been since I've gone to the gym..) and I am looking for a new one.

I believe I used to have the Fiio Kilimanjaro and it worked O-K. If I used my openear phones I would sometimes have to turn the gain to high and turn it all the way up.

I'd like to find something a little more powerful but still stay under the $100 mark if possible.

Any reccomendations? I'll be using the amp with some Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs and on occasion with some Mr.Speakers Alpha Primes.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)
Not sure I can offer up a good recommendation on that. I really haven't used portable amps in the past and its been a few years since I've done any research into them.

But i'm interested to hear what you end up with!

Any opinions on Bang & Olufsen headphones? I'm considering the BeoPlay H8 headphones because I like that they are bluetooth and noise canceling. I understand that I will be losing some of the sound quality over BT, but for me the added convenience is worth it. Has anyone tried these? If so, has anyone worked out in them? I'm curious how the leather cups hold up with sweat.

Anyone around these parts fiddled with Dragonflies? Black or Red?

Also, looks like you have went mia

Any opinions on Bang & Olufsen headphones? I'm considering the BeoPlay H8 headphones because I like that they are bluetooth and noise canceling. I understand that I will be losing some of the sound quality over BT, but for me the added convenience is worth it. Has anyone tried these? If so, has anyone worked out in them? I'm curious how the leather cups hold up with sweat.
But my travel cans are Beoplay h4s (which I think are h8s w/o noise canceling), I'd think they would be fine for mid level workouts but may not naturally be snug enough for anything too intense. The memory foam is covered with lamb skin so they do "absorb" a little and I'd guess a heavy sweater may experience some issues? Dunno. Love the headphones though, pretty impressed with them.

ISO some advice on purchasing a record player. Mostly just looking for something to spin some jazz records in my living room on a Sunday morning. My buddy has some decent monitors he's gonna sell me so just looking for some advice on where to find the record player/receiver/needles/cartridges. Are there new, somewhat cheap, options? Used stuff? Just go searching through the local goodwill? Any help greatly appreciated.

ISO some advice on purchasing a record player. Mostly just looking for something to spin some jazz records in my living room on a Sunday morning. My buddy has some decent monitors he's gonna sell me so just looking for some advice on where to find the record player/receiver/needles/cartridges. Are there new, somewhat cheap, options? Used stuff? Just go searching through the local goodwill? Any help greatly appreciated.
Any budget?

Craigslist is a good source for used turntables. You'll find a good mix of vintage equipment, decent quality but older home audio equipment and would-be DJ's unloading various quality turntables.

If going used make sure you get something that will accept modern cartridges without having to track down a rare design or adapter. DJ and home audio turntables should be no problem even back to 70s or 80s equipment. If you find an older belt drive model you like then make sure you can buy replacement belts that fit.

My advice: don't. It's an expensive but fun hobby. :p

I can never remember the model number but I bought the audiotechnica version of technics 1200 for my kid and it sounds pretty decent for the money. Hell I think it's similar nomenclature 1200 or 120 or whatever. Comes with a decent cart really. Nothing earth shatteringly good but not too shabby.

Latest posts