Any audiophiles or head-fi'ers?

Help Support Talkbeer:

200ish for turntable and receiver? is that reasonable?
Dude I actually have a set of Numark turntables and Numark mixer that is just sitting in storage if you're looking to get a table.

It is literally collecting dust in my storage unit, so I wouldn't want much money for it. I think I have 2 cartridges/needles, and the mixer was a really nice one with a ton of effects.

Paying for a service. I did the free trial of Tidal a few months ago and liked it but am having a hard time justifying $25 per month.
As far as hi quality goes I think Tidal has everyone beat. That said there are some "tests" out there. See if you can really consistently tell the difference. Most people can't.

For player I use Onkyo HF for my personal stuff just FYI.

Paying for a service. I did the free trial of Tidal a few months ago and liked it but am having a hard time justifying $25 per month.
If you have a nice in home audio set up then I think the HIF quality from Tidal is second to none in terms of streaming. I played Dark Side of the Moon from CD and streaming Tidal and could not tell a difference at all. It really is "CD quality" imho. You are correct however, it is expensive. I use Anthem for my receiver and amp with a Klipsch THX in wall and in ceiling 9 speaker set up. Since Anthem receivers are not blue tooth capable I use a DAC and stream Tidal to it via my phone with the Sonica ap.

Last edited:
Deezer just started rolling out 'lossless' audio for their new desktop app.
I think they are just beta testing it now, so it might not be immediately available. But it sounds awesome and is still only $9.99 a month.

Thoughts on good travel headphones? Looking for a good mix of sound quality/portability/not being a dick to the others on the plane. Also, sub $100.

Thoughts on good travel headphones? Looking for a good mix of sound quality/portability/not being a dick to the others on the plane. Also, sub $100.
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear-headphones

Senniheiser makes a good headphone for that price range.

Not sure how much you travel but if it’s possible to up your price range, you’ll get a much better pair of headphones. Both sound and comfort.

No

Hahaha I actually don’t know but I’d strongly consider going a little higher and getting much better cans. Sub 100 is fine I am sure, I just don’t know the market.

Not sure how much you travel but if it’s possible to up your price range, you’ll get a much better pair of headphones. Both sound and comfort.
Yeah, well, I'm sure. I fly only a couple/few times a year and I don't use headphones much besides. It doesn't feel like there's much point investing too much in something that will get only infrequent use. I just got a pair of Koss Porta Pro Xs from Massdrop. Sound is good, portability is obviously good, but the design makes me think there'll be too much sound bleed for use on a plane.

Senniheiser makes a good headphone for that price range.
There's a $70 pair in there, that ain't bad. I've heard good things about the Philips Shp9500s at around that same price point. It's the style I'm uncertain of for traveling. I usually carry my camera bag as a personal item and there's only so much space in there.

No

Hahaha I actually don’t know but I’d strongly consider going a little higher and getting much better cans. Sub 100 is fine I am sure, I just don’t know the market.
How much is a little higher?

There's a $70 pair in there, that ain't bad. I've heard good things about the Philips Shp9500s at around that same price point. It's the style I'm uncertain of for traveling. I usually carry my camera bag as a personal item and there's only so much space in there.
The Philips wont be too great traveling with. Since they are open back they will leak sound and not drown any surrounding noise out.

Are you just looking at full sized over ear headphones?
Have heard great things about the Beyerdynamic DT 240 PRO. Havent heard them myself, but I have had another pair of Beyerdynamics (dt1350) that have been amazing for the past 7 years. Built like a rock and sound fantastic.

Some other options that are full sized:
Sony MDR-V6 - The tried and true option
Audio Technica ATH-M50x - Higher price than your budget, but they have deals on these all the time. Have a pair of the previous version. They sound wonderful and are built to last
Creative Aurvana Live! 2
AKG K181DJ

Edit:
Guess that answers that!

The Philips wont be too great traveling with. Since they are open back they will leak sound and not drown any surrounding noise out.

Have heard great things about the Beyerdynamic DT 240 PRO. Havent heard them myself, but I have had another pair of Beyerdynamics (dt1350) that have been amazing for the past 7 years. Built like a rock and sound fantastic.

Audio Technica ATH-M50x - Higher price than your budget, but they have deals on these all the time. Have a pair of the previous version. They sound wonderful and are built to last
Creative Aurvana Live! 2
AKG K181DJ
DT 880s still may be my favorite cans and that’s even over audeze lcd3s and any senn I’ve ever tried, absolutely adore all beyers ive tried.

DT 880s still may be my favorite cans and that’s even over audeze lcd3s and any senn I’ve ever tried, absolutely adore all beyers ive tried.
I don’t use in ears but I love some AKG cans I have, but they are open backs
I feel the same way about my K702's over my LCD-2's.
Just need to get a new pair so my head doesn't go lumpy every listen... :oops:

jivex5k

VEdKb0lHVnlaMjVsY1hKeElIQm9ZV2M=

Creative Aurvana Live! 2
AKG K181DJ

Edit:

Guess that answers that!
DT770s are my shit.

Just realized I posted in this thread back in 2015. I bought them again after I starting making a decent wage. My old grados sounded great but were built like shit.

when traveling, I triple-check to make sure I have my Shure SE-215s. They're isolating ear buds so definitely niche/acquired taste, but the sound quality is pretty good, aren't fragile and depending on which foam/rubber ear bud you select, you get about 30db isolation, which blocks out engine noise and screaming kids. They're right around $100 I believe.

Latest posts