Any audiophiles or head-fi'ers?

Help Support Talkbeer:

when traveling, I triple-check to make sure I have my Shure SE-215s. They're isolating ear buds so definitely niche/acquired taste, but the sound quality is pretty good, aren't fragile and depending on which foam/rubber ear bud you select, you get about 30db isolation, which blocks out engine noise and screaming kids. They're right around $100 I believe.
Also on ebay for 49.99, unfortunately for me those wouldn't be here until after I'm already in Hawaii. Still, the full price is in my preferred range.

vav

because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer
Contributor
I love my uturn. If and when I ever get my VPI back I may sell it and try and upgrade a few levels on my BAT tube amp
I do find the belt change for 33/45 to be fiddly....but the definition i'm getting out of this table + needle...i mean even my Lateralus picture discs sound good on that thing

So I've been rocking the same setup for a long time. Had a pair of late 70's Polk floor speakers - beefy fuckers from back when Polk made quality speakers - that sounded awesome paired up with my Yamaha R-V901 receiver. Well, we recently got another pup, and she decided on Friday night that it was high time she chewed a big whole in the woofer cone on one of those Polks. I intend to have the thing re-coned eventually, but I decided to use this as an excuse to buy some speakers that I've been lusting over.

So I got a pair of Definitive Technology BP9040's hooked up to the same old Yamaha amp. These things sounds AWESOME. Here's a rundown of the specs: https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/bp9040

Totally opposite side of the spectrum from where I was at. The Polks had a 12" woofer, a 4" mid and a couple of little tweeters. These Definitive Techs are vented with an active 8" woofer, plus two cone drones, two 4.5" mids, and an aluminum tweeter... plus another aluminum tweeter and another mid on the backside... plus a bunch of [mostly Bose-developed] tech stuff. I could not be happier with them. Let's hope the pup steers clear of them. :rolleyes:

So I've been rocking the same setup for a long time. Had a pair of late 70's Polk floor speakers - beefy fuckers from back when Polk made quality speakers - that sounded awesome paired up with my Yamaha R-V901 receiver. Well, we recently got another pup, and she decided on Friday night that it was high time she chewed a big whole in the woofer cone on one of those Polks. I intend to have the thing re-coned eventually, but I decided to use this as an excuse to buy some speakers that I've been lusting over.

So I got a pair of Definitive Technology BP9040's hooked up to the same old Yamaha amp. These things sounds AWESOME. Here's a rundown of the specs: https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/bp9040

Totally opposite side of the spectrum from where I was at. The Polks had a 12" woofer, a 4" mid and a couple of little tweeters. These Definitive Techs are vented with an active 8" woofer, plus two cone drones, two 4.5" mids, and an aluminum tweeter... plus another aluminum tweeter and another mid on the backside... plus a bunch of [mostly Bose-developed] tech stuff. I could not be happier with them. Let's hope the pup steers clear of them. :rolleyes:
I use a pair of my dad's full size Sony speakers that were a part of his college setup in the late 70s that "mysteriously went missing" when he "upgraded" to smaller bookshelf speakers. Heh.

One of my kids smashed in one of the cones on my Martin Logan speakers, no one is taking credit. I'm not going to repair it, so I'm looking for some new floor speakers. I don't want to go crazy so I'm looking at below $1k. I only run a stereo setup, powered by an Emotiva power amp and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Emotiva is doing a closeout on their airmotiv floor speakers, but I hate the look. For $1k I can add the subwoofer I've always wanted to add. I dont want to break the bank because I know one of these terrorists will probably smash it again.

yamar68 those definitive are amazing speakers. The bass from just a tower is ridiculous. Sets an excellent soundstage. I miss when I had an employee discount from when I sold them.

One of my kids smashed in one of the cones on my Martin Logan speakers, no one is taking credit. I'm not going to repair it, so I'm looking for some new floor speakers. I don't want to go crazy so I'm looking at below $1k. I only run a stereo setup, powered by an Emotiva power amp and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Emotiva is doing a closeout on their airmotiv floor speakers, but I hate the look. For $1k I can add the subwoofer I've always wanted to add. I dont want to break the bank because I know one of these terrorists will probably smash it again.

yamar68 those definitive are amazing speakers. The bass from just a tower is ridiculous. Sets an excellent soundstage. I miss when I had an employee discount from when I sold them.
I just got a pair of Elac unifi UF5 floorstanders and they are pretty f”ing awesome. Amazon for $800 shipped for the pair so meets your budget. Should be solid with your amp I think, I’m running a Schiit Vidar and they sound fantastic. Definitely suggest looking into these!

Maybe this isn't the right group, but I'm wondering if any of you have ever used Tascam devices. I'm wondering if one of their lower models is worth the investment. I just need something better than my Pixel for recording people in interviews outside of my studio (for a podcast). Thoughts?

[EDIT: tagging vav since I know he's a gear guy]

Latest posts