Any good places for craft beer in Monterey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BathtubJenn

Reaction score
I'll be there in a couple of weeks and would like to find a decent place for dinner and beers. Also, are there any good bottle shops? I'm actually driving for once instead of flying so I can easily load up what little cargo space my car has with tasty brews. I've been to the area a few times before, but only for day trips. I've always stayed in SF and driven down to Laguna Seca for races.

Also, driving from Oregon down 5, 505 and 680 if there are any must-stop places along the way. I've experienced the great beer inside SF and up around Petaluma and Santa Rosa, but this will be a new route for me.

It is a nice 40 ish minute drive to this new brewery called Sante Adairius. Not sure if it is any good but might be worth a visit.

Looks interesting. Not sure if the hours will work with the other stuff I have going on, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Alvarado St. and Peter B's can be decent but inconsistent. Monterey County in general is a bit of a beer desert. Much better options on the north side of Monterey Bay (Santa Cruz, etc.)

As far as your route goes, Berryessa Brewing in Winters (505) is underrated. Depending on the time of day, you could adjust your route to hit 880 instead of 680 as there are some great options in Berkeley/Oakland.

I ended up checking out Post No Bills taphouse in Monterey (or technically Sand City I believe). My two picks were Older Viscosity, which I've had before and enjoy, and Lost Abbey's Angel's Share. I've never had that one before and really liked it. Not a bad find.

You're going to pass right by Berryessa Brewing on the 505. You'd be silly to pass them up. Heretic is not far off of I80 in Fairfield. There are countless stops in the East Bay off of 680.

Back