Any reason why Old Monk Beer wouldn’t be vegan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highhat123

Reaction score
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2650/30784/

Old Monk Beer 10000
India- American Malt Liquor- 8% ABV. Pours a deep golden color. Mild aromas of sweet grains with hints of alcohol. Malty sweetness in the flavors reminiscent of corn and ripe banana. Finishes dry.

COUNTRY
India

BEER TYPE
Lager

BEER STYLE
American Malt Liquor

TASTE
Malty, Sweet

BODY
Light-bodied

So basically we used to drink old monk rum with coke and it was pretty good. I don't really drink much but I wanted a bottle of this just for the heck of it. It's sort of like captain morgans (spiced rum). Reviews say old monk rum basically tastes like way too much vanilla flavor. But I still wanted a bottle, looked into ordering it online since it's hard to find but then I found it in a liquor store and bought a bottle of old monk Supreme bottle shaped like a monk. Haven't opened it yet because wanted to make sure with them if it's vegan.
I tried emailing them like 10 times and get no reply.
I would like to call but not sure how to call India without a calling card.

*hi, please reply?? *
*I tried emailing you guys twice already months/years ago but haven't gotten a reply. I don't know how to call you either from the United states.*

*We used to really love Old Monk many years ago. I am vegan now for 7 years and need to know if old monk is vegan. Is there anything from animal in it or used to make it but filtered out of the final product (such as how isinglass [fish bladder or egg/dairy] is used for wine but filtered out of the final wine)? *
*Is there honey or vanilla made from beaver musk or anything at all from animal in old monk rums?*

* Asking for all types: the regular XXX 7 year, XXX deluxe, gold reserve, white (clear), Supreme (the monk bottle) and Legend (the head bottle). I bought the supreme monk bottle recently but aren't going to drink it if I can't find out if it's vegan.*

*Thank you so much if you can please reply.*
*It's ok if you have to tell me it's not vegan. *

*I contacted all these as 1 group email. *
oldmonkrum.ee/en/contact/*
*mohanmeakin.com/contact-us.php*

*[email protected]*
*mohannagar@mohanmeakin*
*solan@mohanmeakin*
*aagnihotri@mohanmeakin*

Old Monk Rum probably IS vegan. There's a 'natural flavor' from beaver anal glad that's supposed to taste like vanilla but it's expensive from what I've read, so I doubt they're using it in this notoriously cheap rum. Other than that, do you think there's honey or anything not vegan in it or the Old Monk beer?
As far as I know the beer isn't mixed with the rum, and most beers are vegan but I have contacted quite a few beer companies the past year and did get a bunch that say they aren't vegan but usually it's because of dairy or honey (and usually obvious by the title).

but I still want to make sure. Any insight? Anyone can get Old Monk to email me, I'll paypal you $10. Thanks.

A lot of beers use finings/clearing agents that are not vegan (isinglass, gelatin, glycerin, casein). I know several vegans who pay no attention to this at all though.

A lot of beers use finings/clearing agents that are not vegan (isinglass, gelatin, glycerin, casein). I know several vegans who pay no attention to this at all though.

fining/clearing/filtering agents are usually for wine, not beer. VERY common for wine.
Quite uncommon for beer though, most cheap domestic beer doesn't have them, but yes I have gotten replies from companies that they use isinglass or dairy etc for filtering (most use a clay if anything, which is vegan of course).

But mostly what'll make a beer not vegan #1 thing is dairy/lactose and should say that anyway for people who like milk stouts etc, same with Honey if the vegan doesn't even eat Honey it'll usually say Honey somewhere.

Sometimes stouts use chocolate which could be milk chocolate and it likely wouldn't say anything about dairy on the label (people like lactose beers because something about the yeast uses the lactose as the sugar vehicle and doesn't degrade the taste of the hops or something like that I don't really know) but anyway yea they wouldn't call a beer like a stout with a bit of milk chocolate a 'milk stout' or something like that, however most if not all stouts I have contacted said it's not milk chocolate, just plain dark chocolate or maybe something like cacao powder, if any chocolate is even used in the first place.

fining/clearing/filtering agents are usually for wine, not beer. VERY common for wine.

Fining agents are quite common in brewing, and outside of the US non-vegan fining agents are still quite prevalent. Consider that Guinness only recently stopped using isinglass after being pressured by consumers who want a vegan product.

Latest posts

Back