Any TB'ers in Birmingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerontwowheels

Reaction score
Hey all - I'm in Birmingham for work (tonight and tomorrow). Believe I am in what is known as the hoover area. No car available, but willing to cab it within reason. Any suggestions for dinner and drinks?

Cheers!

Im in Birmingham and live in Hoover. Hoover is pretty big suburb, so depending on what side of town you are on J Clyde is a must stop. BTW the cabs kind of suck, so, sorry about that. Make sure you use Yellow cab, they seem the best and the "cleanest". If you don't want to leave Hoover the best place to go is On Tap at the Galleria, they have the best beer selection this side of town. Also Charlie's Tap House is in Hoover too (old On Tap Location) and it's pretty cool, but they allow smoking so it can be at times, smokey.

If you're willing to venture in to downtown Birmingham (which you should), hit up The J Clyde and in walking distance you could go to Dave's and World of Beer if that's your thing. I recommend just living at J Clyde though.

Some of the Breweries are open too. Good People and Avondale are both open 7 days a week. I think you will find the better beer at Good People, but depending on your taste Avondale might be your place. Avondale has a bunch of places around it. Post Office Pies (pizza), Parkside (bar), 41st Aircraft Sales (bar), Saw's Soul Kitchen (best BBQ in town). Cahaba is open starting on Wednesdays, so I dont think you will be in town. If you can make it to Hop City, they have an awesome selection in bottles as well as a draught list that is pretty damn good. You can sit and have a pint and shop around of bottles and/or cans.

HTH. Let me know if I can help any further.

Awesome. I'm staying at the Residence Inn Marriot so The J Clyde and World of Beer look like a reasonable walk. Not sure if I'll venture too much further without a car, but I appreciate the suggestions.

If you are free to meet up, send a BM.
Im in Birmingham and live in Hoover. Hoover is pretty big suburb, so depending on what side of town you are on J Clyde is a must stop. BTW the cabs kind of suck, so, sorry about that. Make sure you use Yellow cab, they seem the best and the "cleanest". If you don't want to leave Hoover the best place to go is On Tap at the Galleria, they have the best beer selection this side of town. Also Charlie's Tap House is in Hoover too (old On Tap Location) and it's pretty cool, but they allow smoking so it can be at times, smokey.

If you're willing to venture in to downtown Birmingham (which you should), hit up The J Clyde and in walking distance you could go to Dave's and World of Beer if that's your thing. I recommend just living at J Clyde though.

Some of the Breweries are open too. Good People and Avondale are both open 7 days a week. I think you will find the better beer at Good People, but depending on your taste Avondale might be your place. Avondale has a bunch of places around it. Post Office Pies (pizza), Parkside (bar), 41st Aircraft Sales (bar), Saw's Soul Kitchen (best BBQ in town). Cahaba is open starting on Wednesdays, so I dont think you will be in town. If you can make it to Hop City, they have an awesome selection in bottles as well as a draught list that is pretty damn good. You can sit and have a pint and shop around of bottles and/or cans.

HTH. Let me know if I can help any further.

Ah nice. Wish I could meet up, but week days are terrible for me to do anything outside of work. If I get free tomorrow Ill let you know. I hope you are staying at the Residence Inn downtown and not in Hoover. If you are in Hoover you will still be walking tomorrow.

Awesome. I'm staying at the Residence Inn Marriot so The J Clyde and World of Beer look like a reasonable walk. Not sure if I'll venture too much further without a car, but I appreciate the suggestions.

If you are free to meet up, send a BM.

Yeah that whole stretch of road there by your hotel is pretty busy. You are pretty close to On Tap but I wouldnt walk it,especially in this heat unless you like sweating. Otherwise I would grab a cab and head for the Clyde.

Bumping this thread...going to be in Birmingham this weekend to play some golf with my college buddies. Won't have a ton of time due to tee times and all that jazz...figured I'd hit up Hop City again (went last year and that's the only place I went) but just curious if there was anything I shouldn't pass up in terms of local brews. Loved Snake Handler last year, don't remember what else I drank beyond some Founders and Bell's stuff that we don't get in Colorado.

Also, is Uber a viable option in Birmingham? We figured we would Uber to the golf courses/out afterwards to be safe. nhudson you the lone Birmingham rep on here?

Damn just saw this. Sorry man, was out of town for work and have been slacking. How was your trip? The 1 place you must go if you're ever back is The J Clyde. Best beer bar in the state and one of the best in the US.

Yeah no Uber due to stupid taxi lobby, so I hope you got around ok. The taxis here are terrible.

Damn just saw this. Sorry man, was out of town for work and have been slacking. How was your trip? The 1 place you must go if you're ever back is The J Clyde. Best beer bar in the state and one of the best in the US.

Yeah no Uber due to stupid taxi lobby, so I hope you got around ok. The taxis here are terrible.

We ended up playing more golf than we expected (which was awesome) so I didn't have time for anything except a quick beer at Hop City (dat Snake Handler...) and grabbed a bottle of Tilquin Quetsche (how the F is that stuff just sitting on shelves?!?!) and a 6er of Expedition Stout because it doesn't make it to Colorado and I love that beer. Had to restrain myself, last year I was so far over the luggage limit due to the weight of beer that it wasn't even funny. We plan to go again next year though so I will definitely make time for The J Clyde!

Ha yeah I have no idea how thats still on the shelf. My guess is thats its on the cusp of a price limit where only specific people buy it. Kind of like Eclipse. It just sits on the shelf but good god I love that beer. Yeah shoot me a message next time you're in town and defiantly hit up the j Clyde.

Back