Anyone heard from dridge11 today? 6.0 earthquake in Napa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry I realize this doesn't have anything to do with beer, but didn't want to bury it in the Totally Off-Topic forum. move it if ya gotta

Hey, just happened to pop on during a clean up break. All the living things are fine, had a lot of damage, but doesn't appear anything structurally to the house, just lots of broken stuff. Glasses, dishes, pictures, mirrors, etc. Scared us as much as anything, first one I have experienced.

Lost a little wine and booze, just digging my way to the beer fridge, it looks sticky and smells sour over there.

Didn't end up being too bad beer wise...two of the bottles were my wife's ginger beer, lost maybe 6-8 other bottles. Kinda hard to tell.

Been up since 3:30, lots of helicopters, first time I haven't heard sirens in a while. Power is back out and still have the gas to the house shut off.

Crazy stuff, if that was a 6.0, I hope I never feel anything worse. Absolutely insane.

Dat Focal!

komCSuR.png

Guess I can sort of understand PTSD now. Neighbor started up his Harley and I almost jumped out a window.

Glad to hear you are good bud. That was a big quake. Reminded me of 89. I sat up going, man, I didn;t drink that much last night, lol.

Only one noticeable aftershock last night around 12:30, didn't feel it, just kinda heard a brief low rumble and all the doors in the house move.

Appears that earthquakes really hate glasses from MeKong (great beer place in Richmond, VA), had a can glass and two snifters, those were all broken. Also had 1 Great Divide glass bust, but all of those are replaceable. Happy both my BCBS glasses, FFF Teku, TB Teku, DL Day mug (fell out, but didn't break), and DL Day mini snifter all made it. One other casualty was a beautiful Goose Island, sort of wine style glass, with a silver goose on it.

degardebrewing , the tall pilsner style glass stayed in the cabinet, the big glass with the handle took a tumble from the top shelf and was on the other side of the house, by the garage, without a scratch. Don't F with DeGarde glasses :) I think mother nature was trying to have a beer...the glass by was the garage door and a Blueberry Bu was one that came out of the fridge. It didn't break, but the top was popped or something cause it was only half full.

Looks like one KBS busted, along with a few Crooked Stave and a nice Jackie O. I think I have another leaker/cracked/top popped bottle in there somewhere, there was a lot of Stout on the inside of the door shelf. I only lost one bottle of wine, seems the cabinet was positioned where it shook side to side, not front to back, so probably 6 bottles fell out and 5 survived. Lost a full bottle of old Wild Turkey 101 Rye and an almost empty bottle of Eagle Rare 101 (the one I took to OR for the bourbon barrel drop off)

The car is usually parked about 3 feet further forward, it was pushed back against the garage door.
pdgNWmll.jpg

This room smelled great, but has stained the original hardwood floors with this lovely pattern.
eMPasU7l.jpg

Finally got a little sleep...woke up at 4:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. Had the first aftershock that I actually felt, a 3.9, at about 5:35. Apparently there have been 4 of them this morning, all at the American Canyon site that gave us the big one. 3.9, then 2.7, 1.9, and 2.8. I didn't even notice the other ones. I don't know much about quakes but assuming a series of small ones provides relief to avoid another big one. I'll take 3.9s every hour for a month over another 6.0

I was living in Huntington Beach during the '92 Big Bear earthquake. The most unsettling part was definitely the aftershocks, no matter how small they were. I had a really hard time sleeping for about a week after the quake.

I was living in Huntington Beach during the '92 Big Bear earthquake. The most unsettling part was definitely the aftershocks, no matter how small they were. I had a really hard time sleeping for about a week after the quake.
No joke, we JUST had another one like 3 minutes ago. It was quick, but basically gave the whole house one good shake. Not enough to even make the bottles rattle, but you felt it and heard the whole house shimmer and settle.

No joke, we JUST had another one like 3 minutes ago. It was quick, but basically gave the whole house one good shake. Not enough to even make the bottles rattle, but you felt it and heard the whole house shimmer and settle.
I had a hanging light fixture in my bedroom at the time. I'd stare at that damn thing and wait for it to start swaying back and forth.

I missed the 6.5 that rocked Paso about 10 years back and did some major damage to the city and caused the state to change regulations on mason building. But I was there for the aftershocks and they were crazy. You could hear them like a train before you can feel them. Always upsetting not knowing how long it will last.

The 1994 Northridge earthquake was horrible. My parents house was a mile from the epicenter. 6.7 followed by a 6.0 aftershock like 10 minutes later. I was 13 at the time and shared a room with my brother who was a year older. I thought it was a nuclear attack. Awoke to a large boom. Stood up and looked out the window to see all of the transformers blowing in the neighborhood. Sat back in bed and a huge 1980's TV fell where I was standing. Took a long time to get over that. My sister was ten at the time and a bookshelf and all of this **** fell and blocked the entrance to her room. It took my dad and my brothers like 5 minutes to be able to get her out of her room. That ****ed her up, she slept on the floor of my parents room for two years after that.

But don't worry, I had a few bottles of wine and booze that escaped unharmed. Unfortunately to get under the wine and liquor cabinets, you have to empty them.
N1pbPhtl.jpg
Better start drinking as long as they are out.

That picture of the bottles was the morning of the quake, had to get it empty so I could move the cabinet and try to wipe up the wine underneath, it soaked into the wood floors pretty good and will take some serious cleaning. I have them all boxes up now in case more strong aftershocks hit.

I missed the 6.5 that rocked Paso about 10 years back and did some major damage to the city and caused the state to change regulations on mason building. But I was there for the aftershocks and they were crazy. You could hear them like a train before you can feel them. Always upsetting not knowing how long it will last.
I cannot imagine anything stronger than a 6.0

Man, I kinda know how this feels... I can't even tell ya how many hurricanes I had to go through in the 24 years I was in Florida. 3 in a row in 2005. Including the Catagory 5 Hurricane Andrew in 92 when I was 9. Google that sometime.

Still get bad dreams.

Glad that you and your family are okay dridge11 ! Quakes are messed up...my family and I live in WA and I remember back in the early 90's...we were visiting family during the Northridge quake...I was 9 and it was scary as hell. Just remember standing in a doorway watching **** fall off the walls...

...all this reminds me that i should probably secure my cellar to the garage wall...

I don't know much about quakes but assuming a series of small ones provides relief to avoid another big one.
Nope. Earthquakes are incredibly bizarre and our intuitive understanding of how they should work just does not apply. I read constantly that we're "due" for another 1906-size one, but earthquakes are (mostly) a Poisson process, which means the odds of one happening in any given unit of time are exactly the same. So the odds of a 1906-size one this year are the same as they were last year, and in 2012, and in 2011, and in 1907 for that matter. Elapsed duration just doesn't matter.

The exception to this is aftershocks and, crucially, foreshocks. If you read the USGS report after the 6.0 in Sunday you may have noticed that there's a small chance of a bigger earthquake over the next week or so. In fact, this is what was so terrible about one recent one somewhere in the Pacific (I think the New Zealand one, but I'm not sure). There was a huge earthquake that ****ed everything up, and it was a foreshock for an even bigger one that really ****ed everything up.

So those small aftershocks could just be foreshocks for an even bigger one. It's unlikely (IIRC the USGS put the odds of the 6.0 being a foreshock at like 5%), but don't let your guard down.

Glad to hear everyone's okay.

This is precisely why no matter how sick I get of everything about the Northeast, I would never, ever be able to live in California. The missus has some family outside Santa Rosa, which was apparently far enough away that they didn't have any kind of damage.

Glad to hear everyone's okay.

This is precisely why no matter how sick I get of everything about the Northeast, I would never, ever be able to live in California. The missus has some family outside Santa Rosa, which was apparently far enough away that they didn't have any kind of damage.

With the regulations they place on building, damage to newer houses is rare. Yes you will lose shelves and what not, but the structure usually can withstand the tremor. Now with old brick buildings, and plaster walls, it is a little different as that is just not made to withstand the shaking and or rolling. Hence why roads buckle as do sidewalks. there is no give in that kind of material. I will take a quake over a tornado or hurricane any day. AS long as I am not in a 10 story building built in the early 1900's lol.

If the quake destroyed HaveUSeenMyCellar's cellar, it will go a long way toward proving the existence of [a] god.

I hope it crushes his dreams and drives him to an early death, dragged down by the worry of rebuilding verticals of late-year Stone IRS and struggling to re-make all the contacts friends at it-breweries across the nation.

On a serious note, glad dridge11 and others are ok. I didn't feel the quake down where I am. We refreshed our earthquake kit, though.

So those small aftershocks could just be foreshocks for an even bigger one. It's unlikely (IIRC the USGS put the odds of the 6.0 being a foreshock at like 5%), but don't let your guard down.

Letting down our guard won't be an issue for the next few weeks, for sure.

I've been happily watching that % chance of a bigger one coming dwindle, thankfully.

With the regulations they place on building, damage to newer houses is rare. Yes you will lose shelves and what not, but the structure usually can withstand the tremor. Now with old brick buildings, and plaster walls, it is a little different as that is just not made to withstand the shaking and or rolling. Hence why roads buckle as do sidewalks. there is no give in that kind of material. I will take a quake over a tornado or hurricane any day. AS long as I am not in a 10 story building built in the early 1900's lol.

As much as I like old buildings, it's not even the architecture or the safety regulations or the physical possessions. It's psychological. The fact that "rock solid" as an absolute term means literally nothing would prevent me from ever being completely comfortable.

**** tornadoes, too.

As much as I like old buildings, it's not even the architecture or the safety regulations or the physical possessions. It's psychological. The fact that "rock solid" as an absolute term means literally nothing would prevent me from ever being completely comfortable.

**** tornadoes, too.
That's a he'll of a point.

That's a he'll of a point.
Yeah, the risk in SF (other than the few buildings that still aren't up to code) is gas line breaks leading to fire, and then the fire fighters (who mostly live outside of SF) being unable to get into work because of buckled roads or collapses from shoddy overpasses...

Back