Austin BBQ Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwbbq

Reaction score
I just wrote this list for my friend KevinC and figured I should share to help visiting BBQ lovers, for heated discussion on whose meat magic is the best, and also to torture people who haven't made it to lunchtime/dinnertime.

Generally all of these open at 11 AM, so you would want to be there before that unless I mention that there is no wait. The best places only make a limited amount of each thing, so only getting there early would ensure you could order whatever you want. At all of these places you have to order the MOIST brisket (the gold standard for TX BBQ) but after that, order whatever you want.
  • Kerlin BBQ truck, East 1st St - no wait, great sides, awesome meat. Will sometimes be at the Live Oak Brewery so that could be an awesome combination
  • Stiles Switch BBQ, North Lamar - no wait, awesome meat, sides are OK. Doesn't run out until midway through dinnertime. Brisket is so good.
  • La BBQ, East 1st St - get there early ~ 10 and wait might be 1.5 hours or so but free (Miller Lite) beer or I think you can BYO in the line. Pitmaster used to work at Franklin's. Get the Beef Rib if it isn't sold out.
  • Pieous, near Jester King - not really BBQ but it is necessary that you go and try their brisket pastrami and pizza. Best pizza in Austin, and brisket pastrami is so so good.
  • John Mueller Meat Company - I haven't been, but I have heard really good things so it is next on my list. Wait should be on the shorter side, but that could change.
  • Micklethwait truck, East 7th St - very tasty, great sides, has some interesting options like goat on Saturdays
  • Franklin's, East 7th St - only if you want to get up really early. Haven't been in years due to so many options being 95% as good, but if you want maximum Instagram likes or whatever, you might want to go here. Go on an off-day at either 9 AM or take a chance and go by at 1:30 PM and you could get lucky with no wait and Franklin's brisket
  • Smitty's, Lockhart - Has the best atmosphere for BBQ, but 45 minutes from Austin. Old soot-covered building with open pits, butcher paper, and plastic utensils where you eat with your hands. Far away, but my favorite place to take out-of-towners for the atmosphere and food. Meat varies from awesome to just good - have to get lucky
  • Louie Mueller BBQ, Taylor - Also 45 minutes from Austin, but totally worth it. His son (John Mueller from above) taught Aaron Franklin how to BBQ, so this place has been doing it right for a long time. Get there at or before 11 and there will be a minimal line. Guy Fieri has been there so you know it is legit.
  • Rudy's, everywhere - It is as good as franchised BBQ can be. Nothing ever sells out, and their quality is consistent and great. Not as exciting as the others, but still really good if you are stuck at 8 PM and can't find anything
  • Lambert's, downtown Austin - a nice restaurant/BBQ place that actually works. The food is really good and is more of a nice dinner place.
This should be enough to keep you in a constant meat coma while you are here. If you didn't get a meat boner while reading this list, something is wrong with you.

Franklin ;) I am one of those people who has an involuntary eye twitch whenever a random 's is added.

Terry Black's - One of the better beef ribs around and consistently above average on the big 3 as well. Just south of the river near downtown.

Franklin ;) I am one of those people who has an involuntary eye twitch whenever a random 's is added.

Terry Black's - One of the better beef ribs around and consistently above average on the big 3 as well. Just south of the river near downtown.

Nope. It annoys me EVERY time, especially when locals do it.

And I'd second Terry Blacks as the best "can walk right in and get great BBQ without there every being a wait" spot. Sides are especially good there.

I've eaten J. Mueller and La BBQ in the past 10 days. J. Mueller was far superior, to me. La BBQ just changed pitmaster, again, and the quality seemed off

Blacks not on this list is blaphemy and shame.

and i mean blacks in lockheart, not that crap in austin.

ps.

coopers in llano, also has a new place on congress.

I'm a Kreuz's Market man as far as Lockhart BBQ goes. *shrug*

I always tell people to go to John Mueller Meat Co. when they're in town. Best beef ribs ever.

But really.... nothing I've had in Austin compares to the BBQ I had at the Pecan Lodge in Dallas. That place is ****ing unreal.

I'm a Kreuz's Market man as far as Lockhart BBQ goes. *shrug*

I always tell people to go to John Mueller Meat Co. when they're in town. Best beef ribs ever.

But really.... nothing I've had in Austin compares to the BBQ I had at the Pecan Lodge in Dallas. That place is ****ing unreal.

Ill have to give Kreuz a shot, Blacks is the only experience i have out there. (good for another bike ride with the mrs lol)

Ive always heard the John Mueller is pretty fantastic. (also heard the louie mueller in taylor is supposed to be pretty damn good too)

and really, when your getting 5 stars on rating sites(john mueller) and considered top 10 in most books, is it REALLY worth waiting in line for hours at a place which may or may not sell out before you get to the damn counter.

La BBQ is just as good as Franklins the few times I've had it. The plus side is you can call in and not have to wait.

Back