Austin this weekend - recomendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMRfx

Reaction score
Wife surprised me with a birthday trip to Austin this Saturday through weds.

Went through the BA reviews, that sort of thing - but looking for places to check out - bars, bottle shops, great food - what places should I check out?

JK is certainly happening. Want to play at least one round of disc golf - so if anyone plays, would love to hear what local course you dig.

Thanks!!

Wife surprised me with a birthday trip to Austin this Saturday through weds.

Went through the BA reviews, that sort of thing - but looking for places to check out - bars, bottle shops, great food - what places should I check out?

JK is certainly happening. Want to play at least one round of disc golf - so if anyone plays, would love to hear what local course you dig.

Thanks!!
Breweries around these parts are generally open Thurs/Fri-Sun, so be sure to plan on hitting those the first part of your trip. Jester King is releasing their first 1.5L magnum release this weekend, so enjoy the ******** if you go on Saturday, lol (it'll prolly sell out Sat afternoon). I'd say the other great places to hit up beer-wise are Austin Beerworks (Fri-Sun), Hops & Grain (Fri-Sun), and Pinthouse Pizza (brewpub, 7 days a week).

As far as bars go... Draught House is definitely the local favorite. You'll definitely want to hit up Craft Pride as well, which serves ~60 taps of only Texas-brewed beer AND has a small bottle shop (and a nice patio).

Bottle shops: if you're downtown, head over to East 1st Grocery. South: Whichcraft (the only "true" bottleshop in the city) or Central Market Westgate. North: Sunrise Mini-Mart.

Thats awesome info, thanks so much!

I won't be in town early enough on Saturday to be smack dab in the middle of the JK ********, so it sounds like I should plan my JK trip for Sunday.

I'll have a rental car while there, so I'll def. check out some of those bottle shops. Do you see Yellow Rose on tap often? I've loved the bottles I've had and it would be great to get a couple fresh pours of it while I'm in town.

Thats awesome info, thanks so much!

I won't be in town early enough on Saturday to be smack dab in the middle of the JK ********, so it sounds like I should plan my JK trip for Sunday.

I'll have a rental car while there, so I'll def. check out some of those bottle shops. Do you see Yellow Rose on tap often? I've loved the bottles I've had and it would be great to get a couple fresh pours of it while I'm in town.
YR is usually on tap at Craft Pride or Draught House... I would call to confirm. It runs out quick.

ISO: meatball pizza from Sally's Apizza
FT: Texbic waelz

Lutter gave you a pretty good list. You can find Yellow Rose on tap a few different places- I've seen it at the Draught House, Pinthouse, Craft Pride often. Also you should try hops & grain's A Pale Mosaic, which they are releasing today around town.

ISO: meatball pizza from Sally's Apizza
FT: Texbic waelz

Lutter gave you a pretty good list. You can find Yellow Rose on tap a few different places- I've seen it at the Draught House, Pinthouse, Craft Pride often. Also you should try hops & grain's A Pale Mosaic, which they are releasing today around town.
Sally's! You have excellent taste. Their pepperoni pie is my go to apizza.

My wife mentioned a pizza place down there with a lot of taps, but can't remember the name. She always makes me try pizza in other markets with an open mind. Growing up in New Haven, it's tough to compete.

Big Mosaic fan. Def. Will be on the lookout for that pale ale.

Sally's! You have excellent taste. Their pepperoni pie is my go to apizza.

My wife mentioned a pizza place down there with a lot of taps, but can't remember the name. She always makes me try pizza in other markets with an open mind. Growing up in New Haven, it's tough to compete.

Big Mosaic fan. Def. Will be on the lookout for that pale ale.
Your wife was probably talking about Pinthouse Pizza - they have like 60 taps as well? The best 5 pizza places in Austin IMO are Pieous (also has brisket pastrami...), Via 313, Stanley's (at JK), Salvation (New Haven style!), and Home Slice...so take her to one of those! The pizza is still delicious at Pinthouse, but there is just too much delicious competition.

There's too much other good food...anything you are looking for? Have you been to Austin before, or first time?

Awesome! Thanks. Love all this info.

First time. I want brisket. Is it worth the wait at that famous nerdy guys place?

(Edit: Franklin's?)

Last edited:
Go to Freedmen's. Brisket, duck, pork, house pickles, tangy slaw, smoked chocolate mousse (which they were out of both times I went...jerks)... Don't know about their beer list, but they make AMAZING cocktails. So good. I want to go back to Austin just to go there. :)

Go to Freedmen's. Brisket, duck, pork, house pickles, tangy slaw, smoked chocolate mousse (which they were out of both times I went...jerks)... Don't know about their beer list, but they make AMAZING cocktails. So good. I want to go back to Austin just to go there. :)
Oh man. That sounds amazing. Added to the list.

First time. I want brisket. Is it worth the wait at that famous nerdy guys place?

Franklin's is great, but La Barbecue is like 95% as good with half the wait. But you can also bring beer to drink in line at Franklins, so if you go on a Tuesday/Wednesday at like 10 AM, then you can enjoy a morning beer or two and probably not wait too long after they open at 11.

Or if you want a beautiful drive through the hill country with lots of wildflowers, go 25 minutes south of the airport to Lockhart and eat at Smitty's (super old school, smokers inside have turned all the walls black, eat with your hands). Never heard of Freedmen's and I live like 2 miles away...thanks sb67!

Other stuff to do: visit the flagship Whole Foods downtown, walk around Lady Bird Lake, eat some tacos at Tacodeli or Torchy's, see some random live music downtown, maybe even meet some TB weirdos at the Draught House or something. I haven't been disc golfing in years but I know they have a couple courses close to downtown - one at Zilker Park and one at Roy Guerrero Park.

Oh man. That sounds amazing. Added to the list.
Franklin's is great, but La Barbecue is like 95% as good with half the wait. But you can also bring beer to drink in line at Franklins, so if you go on a Tuesday/Wednesday at like 10 AM, then you can enjoy a morning beer or two and probably not wait too long after they open at 11.

Or if you want a beautiful drive through the hill country with lots of wildflowers, go 25 minutes south of the airport to Lockhart and eat at Smitty's (super old school, smokers inside have turned all the walls black, eat with your hands). Never heard of Freedmen's and I live like 2 miles away...thanks sb67!

Other stuff to do: visit the flagship Whole Foods downtown, walk around Lady Bird Lake, eat some tacos at Tacodeli or Torchy's, see some random live music downtown, maybe even meet some TB weirdos at the Draught House or something. I haven't been disc golfing in years but I know they have a couple courses close to downtown - one at Zilker Park and one at Roy Guerrero Park.

Last time I was there, my friend showed me the morning line at Franklin's, had a good laugh, and took me to Freedmen's for dinner that night instead. So good. I'm not local, but I feel like I'm giving away local secrets, lol.

The flagship Whole Foods was pretty awesome. Walk-in beer fridge? Yes, please, thanks!
Also did Torchy's (trashy) and Amy's (ice cream with booze in it!) and Alamo Drafthouse. All worthwhile. If you've got an afternoon to kill, Ladybird Johnson Wildflower center was definitely worth the sunburn I got.

This thread is making me want to visit again.

Nearly forgot: Hopdoddy.
My friends have been *raving* about it since it opened, and have sworn they'll take me there when I visit -- after 9pm on a Sunday is apparently when to go to beat the crowd. Local tap list and awesome-looking burgers. Their check-ins and photos always make me want to race to the airport to catch the next flight.

This is all amazing info. Thanks so much guys! You're all excellent embasadors for what sounds like an amazing place. Can't wait to get down there. Although I'm enjoying the warmest day of the year here (a sunny 58 degrees!), I'm looking forward to some warm weather too.

How about bluegrass? any places to see live bluegrass in the city? My wife worked for a bg/roots label for a long time, and we don't see too many quality acts come through CT.

OK, I'm going to share a secret with you that even lots of locals dont seem to know. Aaron Franklin expanded his location last year, and added a bunch of gigantic smokers - I believe they're up to 9 now. So while there is still a line in the morning (check the Twitter feed @franklinbbqline for a daily photo in the morning) food now typically lasts much longer in the day. I know people who have gone at 2, 3 or even 4 in the afternoon, and had plenty of food still available. So if you really want to tick Franklin, swing by during the early afternoon and see if you can make it happen.

Otherwise, La BBQ is solid, and Terry Blacks (which opened recently on Barton Springs Rd) is pretty friggin awesome, tends to have food all day, AND has amazing beef ribs (which are my favorite) and great sides.

That bark! (Terry Blacks)

Msy60dN.jpg

This is all amazing info. Thanks so much guys! You're all excellent embasadors for what sounds like an amazing place. Can't wait to get down there. Although I'm enjoying the warmest day of the year here (a sunny 58 degrees!), I'm looking forward to some warm weather too.

How about bluegrass? any places to see live bluegrass in the city? My wife worked for a bg/roots label for a long time, and we don't see too many quality acts come through CT.

A good place to track down info about music and everything else going on around town is do512.com TONS of great information

Nearly forgot: Hopdoddy
Funfact: if you've got a car, there's usually not much of a line at the newer Hopdoddy location up on Anderson Lane... about 7 or so miles north of Downtown. I would personally rather go to Hutt's Hamburgers or Snack Bar myself for a burger though. *shrug*

Sorry to hijack this thread, but im in town for the weekend. Planning to head to jester king tomorrow, and eat at Franklin's before. If I want to ensure there will still be brisket/ribs when I order, what time should I shoot to get there? 9am too late?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but im in town for the weekend. Planning to head to jester king tomorrow, and eat at Franklin's before. If I want to ensure there will still be brisket/ribs when I order, what time should I shoot to get there? 9am too late?

Nah 9am will be fine. They open at 11, so plan on being there until probably 12:30 or so, depending on how far back you are and how fast they move the line.

I dunno, i used to drive by franklins around 9 and see it about 50 or so deep so i guess it depends on luck and how long you actually care to stand in line ;)

let me live vicariously through you and let us know your thoughts. Ive never stood in line for a 2 to 3 hour wait knowingly for food, but then again, ive never been to franklins. (but blacks was amazing)

speaking of blacks, they are opening a store next to hopfields(or may have opened it already) so that will be interesting to see if its near as good as the lockhart location.

I dunno, i used to drive by franklins around 9 and see it about 50 or so deep so i guess it depends on luck and how long you actually care to stand in line ;)

let me live vicariously through you and let us know your thoughts. Ive never stood in line for a 2 to 3 hour wait knowingly for food, but then again, ive never been to franklins. (but blacks was amazing)

speaking of blacks, they are opening a store next to hopfields(or may have opened it already) so that will be interesting to see if its near as good as the lockhart location.

They opened late October. As to whether they're as good as the original http://austin.culturemap.com/news/r...-these-barbecue-restaurants-comes-out-on-top/ might offer some insight, but I can't vouch for their BBQ knowledge. At least their opinion of Terry Black's matches what I've heard everywhere else (though I've heard they've also gotten much better since then).

Well, I did end up getting there right around 9am. The line was nuts, nearly wrapping to the fence by the edge of the property. There were probably another 75 people behind me by 10am. Around 1030am I discovered the 'last man standing' (last person guaranteed any food) was about 5 in front of me. An employee from Franklins told the people around me there may or may not be food left past that person, and if anything it would likely be scraps. Most people in the back of the line left at that point, but I decided to stick it out and hope for the best. Luckily, they had everything available except for the turkey when I finally got to the counter to order at 2:45pm. If I had known it would take nearly 6 hours to get food, I probably would have skipped it but oh well. I've never even waited for beer that long. I think because it was Saturday the day before Easter it was even crazier than normal.

I wouldn't wait that long again, but the experience was memorable. I was able to set up an in-person trade during my visit and the guy was nice enough to meet me while I waited in line. I got to drink the extra he gave me, Austin Beerworks Heavy Machinery DIPA, right on the spot since it was nice and cold. Really nice beer. Also had a great time chatting with the people around me. I met locals as well as people from all over - Atlanta, Miami, another New Yorker, etc. The time went by quicker than I thought. A highlight was the local a few behind me who got so drunk drinking in line he threw up minutes before he was to put in his order. Nice guy though. Also, the staff was amazing - friendly, good at providing updates and setting expectations.

Anyway, on to the part you (and I) are waiting for - the food. As a New Yorker, my exposure to 'real' bbq has been limited so I am speaking from a relatively uninformed position. But the brisket was one of the best things I have ever tasted. It basically melted in your mouth. The (beef) ribs were unbelievable as well - delicious char and bark. Pulled pork was also a clear winner. The pork ribs and sausage were both good, but nothing special in my opinion. I also dug the bourbon banana pie, though had to eat that in the evening since I obviously had no room for it after consuming more than a pound of bbq.

I went from Franklin's straight to Jester King and had a great afternoon/evening there. It was already one of my favorite breweries based on the great beer I've tried by them in the past, but my first visit also made it one of best brewery trips I've ever had. Just a wonderful place to spend a day. Overall, great time in Austin.

Been in the Frankin bbq line since a little before 9. 20th or so in line. Line is through the back parking lot and around the corner (couple hundred people?) on a Tuesday... Looking forward to seeing if this brisket lives up to the hype.

Beautiful day, doing some AM drinking. Got a chair. No complaints here.

Well, I did end up getting there right around 9am. The line was nuts, nearly wrapping to the fence by the edge of the property. There were probably another 75 people behind me by 10am. Around 1030am I discovered the 'last man standing' (last person guaranteed any food) was about 5 in front of me. An employee from Franklins told the people around me there may or may not be food left past that person, and if anything it would likely be scraps. Most people in the back of the line left at that point, but I decided to stick it out and hope for the best. Luckily, they had everything available except for the turkey when I finally got to the counter to order at 2:45pm. If I had known it would take nearly 6 hours to get food, I probably would have skipped it but oh well. I've never even waited for beer that long. I think because it was Saturday the day before Easter it was even crazier than normal.

I wouldn't wait that long again, but the experience was memorable. I was able to set up an in-person trade during my visit and the guy was nice enough to meet me while I waited in line. I got to drink the extra he gave me, Austin Beerworks Heavy Machinery DIPA, right on the spot since it was nice and cold. Really nice beer. Also had a great time chatting with the people around me. I met locals as well as people from all over - Atlanta, Miami, another New Yorker, etc. The time went by quicker than I thought. A highlight was the local a few behind me who got so drunk drinking in line he threw up minutes before he was to put in his order. Nice guy though. Also, the staff was amazing - friendly, good at providing updates and setting expectations.

Anyway, on to the part you (and I) are waiting for - the food. As a New Yorker, my exposure to 'real' bbq has been limited so I am speaking from a relatively uninformed position. But the brisket was one of the best things I have ever tasted. It basically melted in your mouth. The (beef) ribs were unbelievable as well - delicious char and bark. Pulled pork was also a clear winner. The pork ribs and sausage were both good, but nothing special in my opinion. I also dug the bourbon banana pie, though had to eat that in the evening since I obviously had no room for it after consuming more than a pound of bbq.

I went from Franklin's straight to Jester King and had a great afternoon/evening there. It was already one of my favorite breweries based on the great beer I've tried by them in the past, but my first visit also made it one of best brewery trips I've ever had. Just a wonderful place to spend a day. Overall, great time in Austin.

Wow. That's longer than I've EVER had to wait in line there. You have amazing stamina to wait that long, but that brisket, right? There is just nothing like it (damn you, Aaron!! ;) ) I guess I didn't even realize that it would be the Saturday of a holiday weekend - recipe for a massive line. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip - Jester King really is a special place.

I've seen a lot of beer and food talk, but nothing about disks. I'm not super familiar with the south Austin parks, but Mary Moore Searight is a fun park, but isn't marked very well. Circle C is close to that location as well but has some really long driving holes if you're into that. My favorite park in central Austin (Pease) was shut down about 2 years ago because they wanted to stop the foot traffic. :(

I've seen a lot of beer and food talk, but nothing about disks. I'm not super familiar with the south Austin parks, but Mary Moore Searight is a fun park, but isn't marked very well. Circle C is close to that location as well but has some really long driving holes if you're into that. My favorite park in central Austin (Pease) was shut down about 2 years ago because they wanted to stop the foot traffic. :(

I played Circle C on Monday morning (nice and quiet). Really nice course. The short holes are similar to what we have in the North East, but less technical, and quite easy (but a lot of fun). Those long holes though! Man. 900 ft holes are a new thing to me, and I just dont have the big drives for those. I only brought a few discs on the trip, but did stop at Disc Nation for a few more. Really enjoyed the course.

Resurrecting this, as I'm coming to Austin tomorrow for a couple of days.

Thoughts from the locals on Bangers? It's near Craft Pride, so I was thinking of trying to grab a bite there. Thanks for all the other info here.

Thoughts from the locals on Bangers? It's near Craft Pride, so I was thinking of trying to grab a bite there. Thanks for all the other info here.
Bangers is a great place with tasty food (get the chili cheese fries) and a so-so to good beer selection, but sometimes the staff are surly jerks. They had a ton of great stuff on draft last Saturday for their 3rd birthday party but not sure if any of it is still around. Also, Via 313 at Craft Pride has Detroit-style pizza (not that you would need it coming from MI) but it is very tasty.

Bangers is great, although you missed their 3rd anniversary bonanza by a week. They do a decent brunch on Sundays as well, and 32oz "manmosas" with a whole bottle of champagne... They usually have 80+ beers on tap with at least 2-5 pretty interesting taps or firkins. Check out Meridian Hive while you're here if you're into mead. You can usually find a fruit variant on tap somewhere downtown.

I'm not a huge fan of Bangers' food, but you could do worse. There are also a few food trucks across the street and some good (if pricey) restaurants on Rainey as well if you're looking for something other than sausages.

Back