Bad proxy experience with user Mattyprize

Help Support Talkbeer:

TLDR: MattyPrize picked up my Ale Apothecary bottles in November. I hit a really rough patch. Finally got back to him 5 months later asking if he still has any or hopefully all. He claims he sent them already which he has no evidence to support.

the Full Story: I’ll be upfront that this was a failing on both sides and that I have some level of culpability here. Yes, I arranged for him to proxy for me and yes I then didn’t message him for months. In my defense, the last 6 months have been the worst 6 months of my life and it was just impossible for me to get this together. I started to, and still have the thank you box here half loaded with beers and a handwritten letter. I never generated labels.

I’ve already confirmed with Staci that Matt did sign for my bottles.

I was totally ready for him to say “hey man we thought maybe you joined AA. Sorry but we opened three of your bottles hope you don’t mind...” but was pretty disappointed that he basically told me he had shipped and just washed his hands if the whole situation. He then stopped answering messages for two weeks until I calmly warned him this thread would be my next step after which point he flipped out on me.

The thing I find most suspect here is that he claims to have good records of all boxes he proxies for but cant provide a tracking number or ship date. Stranger still, sent I never sent a thank you box he would have had to buy the shipper and label himself. That's like, $50 in out of pocket costs? Would have had to look up my address in our year old messages to make the tag but then wouldn't message me at the time to say he had taken all that initiative and that I owed him money?

Another thing I find particularly odd is that Matt never followed up with me? Not even a message a few weeks later saying "Id really like to get these out of here you ok" or whatever.I still have two cases of rare barrel here from a member who ghosted on me in 2016. I haven’t opened a single one. I’m annoyed, if he ever does reach out I’ll probably light him up, but I’m not drinking hundreds of dollars of someone else’s beer, no way. I make an effort every 4 months or so to email him, get no reaponse, and they collect dust in my garage...

I am not a wealthy man, quite the opposite. I wasn’t able to renew AA or any other memberships this year because of my situation at present. I’m pretty severely bummed that $350 worth of beer has disappeared without a trace.

I also want to say that this is the second year Matt has proxied for me. The first year I buried him in a full 12 shipper with Sara cellar modern times league beers etc. So, I realize there is a heavy logistic burden in his helping me out here, its one I know personally from the other side... but in fairness, he’s been well compensated for the task. I also think there is some level of liability of taking hold of someones beers, at least to be able to track custody from brewery to drop off for shipment.

Ill also note that ive been nothing but polite with Matt and that he stopped responding to me weeks ago and then blasted me when I politely gave him the courtesy of mentioning I would be posting this thread.

So, yeah. I’m sure some people are going to say that my absence sacrificed my rights to my property. It seems severe to me, even a storage locker wouldn’t get auctioned so quickly and with no attempt to notify the owner. Not a bad trader here, but a pretty brutal outcome for me. Sucks. A lot.

TLDR: MattyPrize picked up my Ale Apothecary bottles in November. I hit a really rough patch. Finally got back to him 5 months later asking if he still has any or hopefully all. He claims he sent them already which he has no evidence to support.

the Full Story: I’ll be upfront that this was a failing on both sides and that I have some level of culpability here. Yes, I arranged for him to proxy for me and yes I then didn’t message him for months. In my defense, the last 6 months have been the worst 6 months of my life and it was just impossible for me to get this together. I started to, and still have the thank you box here half loaded with beers and a handwritten letter. I never generated labels.

I’ve already confirmed with Staci that Matt did sign for my bottles.

I was totally ready for him to say “hey man we thought maybe you joined AA. Sorry but we opened three of your bottles hope you don’t mind...” but was pretty disappointed that he basically told me he had shipped and just washed his hands if the whole situation. He then stopped answering messages for two weeks until I calmly warned him this thread would be my next step after which point he flipped out on me.

The thing I find most suspect here is that he claims to have good records of all boxes he proxies for but cant provide a tracking number or ship date. Stranger still, sent I never sent a thank you box he would have had to buy the shipper and label himself. That's like, $50 in out of pocket costs? Would have had to look up my address in our year old messages to make the tag but then wouldn't message me at the time to say he had taken all that initiative and that I owed him money?

Another thing I find particularly odd is that Matt never followed up with me? Not even a message a few weeks later saying "Id really like to get these out of here you ok" or whatever.I still have two cases of rare barrel here from a member who ghosted on me in 2016. I haven’t opened a single one. I’m annoyed, if he ever does reach out I’ll probably light him up, but I’m not drinking hundreds of dollars of someone else’s beer, no way. I make an effort every 4 months or so to email him, get no reaponse, and they collect dust in my garage...

I am not a wealthy man, quite the opposite. I wasn’t able to renew AA or any other memberships this year because of my situation at present. I’m pretty severely bummed that $350 worth of beer has disappeared without a trace.

I also want to say that this is the second year Matt has proxied for me. The first year I buried him in a full 12 shipper with Sara cellar modern times league beers etc. So, I realize there is a heavy logistic burden in his helping me out here, its one I know personally from the other side... but in fairness, he’s been well compensated for the task. I also think there is some level of liability of taking hold of someones beers, at least to be able to track custody from brewery to drop off for shipment.

Ill also note that ive been nothing but polite with Matt and that he stopped responding to me weeks ago and then blasted me when I politely gave him the courtesy of mentioning I would be posting this thread.

So, yeah. I’m sure some people are going to say that my absence sacrificed my rights to my property. It seems severe to me, even a storage locker wouldn’t get auctioned so quickly and with no attempt to notify the owner. Not a bad trader here, but a pretty brutal outcome for me. Sucks. A lot.
Hi Brandon,

I'm failing to see where I've been blasting you in our thread, or even "flipped out"? Also, I've been more than clear that work has kept me from replying to you in an efficient manner of the last couple of weeks. Apparently you missed that portion of my replies. Well, I've been replying to you non-stop over the last two days, so those little jabs you're attempting to make are unimportant.

Like I've stated in my replies to you, I proxy for many people. I pick up their beer, they send me a box and label, I send their beer back. Very simple. I picked up several peoples member's bottles in November and they've all gone out. We're having this discussion now.... 7 months later? Regardless of what you've been going through, a simple email sometime in the last half-year would have probably been warranted. Never before have I had a box disappear and have personally paid for bottles (very few) that had been damaged in transit. Something that I didn't need to do, nor was I responsible for, but I did it anyway because I wanted to make sure people got what they paid for - I'm not even affiliated with the brewery!!!

Again, I'm still not clear as to why it took you over 6 months to reach out and I don't have your beer...

I only proxy for two people now as I was sick of hearing "sorry it's taken so long to get your box out... I forgot" and I am extremely clear that I don't store bottles for people but yet I still get stuck holding on to boxes for months on end. This is a prime example as to why I don't do this for more people anymore.....

Hi Brandon,

I'm failing to see where I've been blasting you in our thread, or even "flipped out"? Also, I've been more than clear that work has kept me from replying to you in an efficient manner of the last couple of weeks. Apparently you missed that portion of my replies. Well, I've been replying to you non-stop over the last two days, so those little jabs you're attempting to make are unimportant.

Like I've stated in my replies to you, I proxy for many people. I pick up their beer, they send me a box and label, I send their beer back. Very simple. I picked up several peoples member's bottles in November and they've all gone out. We're having this discussion now.... 7 months later? Regardless of what you've been going through, a simple email sometime in the last half-year would have probably been warranted. Never before have I had a box disappear and have personally paid for bottles (very few) that had been damaged in transit. Something that I didn't need to do, nor was I responsible for, but I did it anyway because I wanted to make sure people got what they paid for - I'm not even affiliated with the brewery!!!

Again, I'm still not clear as to why it took you over 6 months to reach out and I don't have your beer...

I only proxy for two people now as I was sick of hearing "sorry it's taken so long to get your box out... I forgot" and I am extremely clear that I don't store bottles for people but yet I still get stuck holding on to boxes for months on end. This is a prime example as to why I don't do this for more people anymore.....
So you totally drank his beers, huh?

Nice to see you back on here (even if the circumstances are somewhat unfortunate). Hopefully we'll see you in the music threads again.
Sincere thanks for saying so, but i'm afraid my time here is done. I've made some friendships on TB that exist outside the forum which I value immensely, and met a few other people out of the area I hope to stay in touch with. That being said, there are some deranged, vindictive and spiteful members of this community and for me, it's the few that ruin it for the many. I need to cut out everything which is a net negative for me emotionally and that includes my participation here. I didn't and still don't want to make a big point of publicly calling specific people out, or make a big deal announcing my departure, I just want to be out their reach.

My primary reason for posting the OP here is in my time in the beer community I've gotten the impression there is a high standard for transparency in matters of transaction failure. Nowhere else have I seen such a strict expectation of honesty in feedback and accountability in fulfillment of agreements. I initiated this agreement here on TB and i'm bringing it full circle by reporting back on total loss. If people think that's unreasonable or that I shouldn't be sharing my experience with the community given my lack of participation as of late, so be it.

Reasonable people might disagree. I feel like I've bent over backwards to be patient (fe: "Just wanted to give you a fair warning that I'm going to be posting a bad proxy thread about this in the next few days....I just didn't want you to be blindsided.") vs your repeating statements that i'm being "extremely suspect" or things like "if it makes you feel better go ahead but you're wrong" just don't line up. There has never been a shred of sympathy throughout for my loss, just irritation. I'm more than happy to post the entire convo here if you think it exonerates you, I just personally am against posting PMs and imagine it would just draw more memes and photoukut likes for both of us.

In fact, ill even withdraw that and apologize and say you have been helpful and polite throughout. Because I don't think it would diminish the legitimacy of my claims.

But does it matter? Would it be ok for me to not get my beer if I was just trying to scam free storage vs totally understandable if I lost all my fingers and couldn't type? How would you have known which one was the case to appropriately rate your commitment to me? I'm not trying to be obtuse I just don't see why I have to get that personal to be heard out. Outcome doesn't change.

I am extremely clear that I don't store bottles for people but yet I still get stuck holding on to boxes for months on end.
Actually you never stated this once in all our communication but that's ok. I do think it's implied that no one should have to store beer for so long. I admitted above that this was not ok for me to do. I would have hoped there would be at least one attempt on your end to remind me, some slightly more rigorous records of shipment, something...

I realize that it's my word vs yours and that we both have a good track record in this community. I wish you would believe me when I say that I never generated labels or sent the thank you beers and that its impossible that the beers were shipped to me.

Question then: You mentioned multiple times in our PM that you find my claim "extremely suspect". What are you suspicious of? I've already told you and Staci that I don't expect any resolution here if in fact my case of beer is gone. I can't even figure out what the motivation would be to falsify my claim? An excuse to return to a forum I wanted to permanently retire from? The chance to drag a persons name through the mud for sport? The hope that you still has someone else's allocation and that I could trick you into sending it to me after already receiving one? I'm at a loss for what would even motivate dishonesty on my end...

Last edited:
Well, guess we are done here. Guy is not interested in even trying to do the right thing or making any earnest attempt to clear his name. Law of parsimony, it's much more likely that my beer got pissed out in Bend Oregon as it makes no sense that it could ship to the wrong person (who would know to provide him the label?) or that he paid to ship it himself AND it was lost. I also use fedex delivery manager so even if he didn't tell me he shipped it I would have gotten a heads up unless it was UPS. Too thin, rooster. My box obviously sat there while he ran down the clock without nudging me, wonder when the tipping point was where he decided it was justified.

Hope my Oregon people never forget. Theft should have a reputational cost.

I just have to say, just to be able to move on here.... as a small business owner i'm a liiiiiiittle surprised that AAs take is "I'm so sorry, we have had some problems with our proxies before". I'm a small business owner, I have run a popular independent record label for 20 years and, despite my TOS stating that i'm not responsible for lost or stolen mail, i've always replaced the roughly .2% of missing packages since its easier for me to absorb the cost of goods sold against my bottom line, than it is for the buyer to just take a 100% loss. Sometimes it’s just a $5 tape, sometimes it’s a $600 wholesale order. I care about how people feel about my label and I want them to feel valued. I’m sure that seems unreasonable to some here. Beer is different than other stuff for sure. On the other hand i've had issues w/ beer and merch from Sara and Modern Times and both tripped over themselves to "make it right". Won't be buying any AA anymore. Got a sour taste in my mouth. (Get it?)

Too early to do a lif in here?
The official LIF to celebrate the heist is HERE so that it gets more entries.
Have at it folks.

Latest posts