Barrel-Aging Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulianB1

Reaction score
We have a thread about "barrel" aging (i.e. using soaked chips, spirals, etc.) so let's have one about the real thing. I haven't actually done this but am looking to in the future, so rather than experiences I'm going to start this off more with questions/ideas for discussion.

1. What are your experiences with barrel-aging your homebrews? Types of beers, types of barrels, how things turned out, and so on.

2. What are good online places to source barrels?

3. If aging a homebrew-sized batch (5 gals, or maybe even 10gals) in a barrel, is it preferable to have a small barrel that is almost entirely filled by the beer, a large one with lots of empty space, or something in between? What are the pros and cons of each?

Definately need an appropriate sized barrel. Too much oxidation would happen otherwise. Breweries will even top off aging barrels to minimize the headspace because wood barrels are oxygen permeableand allow evaporation. They sell homebrew sized wood barrels. You will likely only get oaky wood tannins and no essence of the spirits contained in a used spirit barrel, though.

Looking forward to responses, all i can add so far is to question 3.
You should be using a barrel that is the size of your batch, allowing to much headspace will ultimately oxidize and/or infect the beer. Beer will age faster in smaller barrels because of the surface area/beer ratio.

Done a few barrel projects now.
2UZkvNV.jpg

• Have your beer ready to go into the barrel beforehand. Empty exposed barrels will cause infection.
  • 55gal barrels are easier to come by but take a lot of planning / work unless you have a large system.
  • Group brews are great but if one person drops the ball everyone looses, plan to have extra available if a batch goes south.
  • Taste test everything before it goes in the barrel.
  • The smaller the barrel the faster you will absorb barrel flavors due to surface area to volume ratio.
Barrel Aged Homebrews:
  • Dark Gentleman - Darkness clone in 55gal Virginia Gentleman barrel 9mo (solo)
  • Kentucky Scottsman - Scotch ale in kentucky bourbon barrel 2nd use 9mo (group)
  • Bourbon Porter - Porter in 55gal kentucky bourbon barrel 1st use 6mo (group)
  • Elderbeerel Sour - Flanders Bruin in 60gal Elderberry wine barrel 18mo. 1st use (group)
  • Rumbling Dark Gentleman - Darkness clone in 5gal Rumble barrel 2mo (solo)

Currently in the process of setting up a barrel aging program with my club, we are getting a 47 gallon bourbon barrel from a local distillery.

What I have learned from getting the project set up so far really pertains to the last question as we haven't filled it yet, and we were lucky enough to find one for a reasonable price locally.

From everything I have read/listened to, I wouldn't bother getting a barrel any smaller than 15 gallons. First, a small barrel=more surface area. This means that you will pick up more bourbon flavor faster, but it also means that you have more beer exposed to oxygen because of the small barrel size. If I were you and wanted to attempt a barrel aged homebrew, I would go two different ways:

Do a massive 2-3 day brew session and knock out 60 gallons of homebrew. This will suck because A) You will have 60 gallons of a RIS (not the worst problem) and B) you will probably spend close to $500 on ingredients. I went the second route: Recruit my friends to do the brewing with me. So far we have 45 out of the 60 needed, and the rest is being brewed this week.

There are problems with this too- you risk pissing someone off if their beer ends up being the infected piece of **** you refuse to put into the barrel. Also, I trust no one but myself, and have learned the hard way via this project that just because someone says "hell yeah I am going to brew next week for this!" that doesn't mean they are actually going to brew at all.

Also, don't put 5 gallons of beer in a 55 gallon barrel. It will turn to vinegar most likely. Oxidized, cardboard, triple bock vinegar.

Do a massive 2-3 day brew session and knock out 60 gallons of homebrew. This will suck because A) You will have 60 gallons of a RIS (not the worst problem) and B) you will probably spend close to $500 on ingredients. I went the second route: Recruit my friends to do the brewing with me. So far we have 45 out of the 60 needed, and the rest is being brewed this week.
There are problems with this too- you risk pissing someone off if their beer ends up being the infected piece of **** you refuse to put into the barrel. Also, I trust no one but myself, and have learned the hard way via this project that just because someone says "hell yeah I am going to brew next week for this!" that doesn't mean they are actually going to brew at all.

All very true. Our barrel cost 60$ after tax for Virgina Gentleman. Higher quality stuff expect to pay MUCH more. Ingredients wise we spent 270 on grain and 80-100 on yeast.

Nobody wants bad beer and with that in mind if more than two share owners (5gal/share) decided that a batch was bad it got passed for going in the barrel. However that person was not cut out from at least a share of the end proceeds assuming they helped through the process of filling / emptying / bottling.

You rang?

I have a few thoughts on the questions:

1. Barrel aging is fun! It is also sure to impress all your beer geek friends when they visit for your next bottle share. I've done a few projects using bourbon barrels. Imperial stout and porters so far, and all have turned out well. The most surprising thing has been how quickly the beer picks up flavors form the wood and the spirit in first use barrels. Small barrels contribute a lot of flavor quickly, so tasting early and often is important when using small barrels the first time. I have recently filled my oldest barrel with a sour project for some extended aging.

2. I got my barrels from http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/ They don't come cheap, especially when you add shipping. They do have a good selection of 5, 10, and 15 gallon barrels that held whiskey, bourbon, rum, brandy, and honey liquor. They sell the barrels almost as quickly as they source them, so they are fresh, but selection varies greatly day to day.

3. When aging a small batch you definitely want the barrel full. Brew extra so you can top off your barrel if you will be aging for long periods. With smaller barrels you have a larger percentage of your batch in contact with the wood. The beer will get more barrel character and spirit flavor more quickly than in the large barrels. It also means that oxidation will happen much quicker. I have waxed portions of my barrels to limit oxygen exposure when the beer will be in a small barrel for a long period of time.

You rang?

I have a few thoughts on the questions:

1. Barrel aging is fun! It is also sure to impress all your beer geek friends when they visit for your next bottle share. I've done a few projects using bourbon barrels. Imperial stout and porters so far, and all have turned out well. The most surprising thing has been how quickly the beer picks up flavors form the wood and the spirit in first use barrels. Small barrels contribute a lot of flavor quickly, so tasting early and often is important when using small barrels the first time. I have recently filled my oldest barrel with a sour project for some extended aging.

2. I got my barrels from http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/ They don't come cheap, especially when you add shipping. They do have a good selection of 5, 10, and 15 gallon barrels that held whiskey, bourbon, rum, brandy, and honey liquor. They sell the barrels almost as quickly as they source them, so they are fresh, but selection varies greatly day to day.

3. When aging a small batch you definitely want the barrel full. Brew extra so you can top off your barrel if you will be aging for long periods. With smaller barrels you have a larger percentage of your batch in contact with the wood. The beer will get more barrel character and spirit flavor more quickly than in the large barrels. It also means that oxidation will happen much quicker. I have waxed portions of my barrels to limit oxygen exposure when the beer will be in a small barrel for a long period of time.
We love pictures around here. hint, hint. ;)

Glad to see this thread get going, thanks for all the replies and information. I am planning to brew a big (>10%) barleywine in December and am interested in aging it in a barrel a ways down the road. Sounds like (if it's only me brewing and I do a regular 5 gallon batch) that a small (5 gallon) barrel might be the best approach, then barrel-age it for a shorter period of time. Maybe I can recruit some others to all brew together and age several batches of barleywine in the same larger barrel.

Lots to think about...

Glad to see this thread get going, thanks for all the replies and information. I am planning to brew a big (>10%) barleywine in December and am interested in aging it in a barrel a ways down the road. Sounds like (if it's only me brewing and I do a regular 5 gallon batch) that a small (5 gallon) barrel might be the best approach, then barrel-age it for a shorter period of time. Maybe I can recruit some others to all brew together and age several batches of barleywine in the same larger barrel.

Lots to think about...

For anyone planning on re-using a barrel make sure as soon as you finish the first one your plan is in motion for the second round. Once the beer is in the barrel your timer is running to have that next batch ready.

The most important thing you need to realize/understand about barrel aging beer is that the barrel is NOT simply an ingredient in your brew and it should never be treated like that. Barrel aging is a practice of aging and maturing, not brewing.

When you find the sweetspot and get your first pull of a beer that has that wonderful caramel/vanilla essence, it is a game changer.
While 10 gallon barrels seem the most convienent for a single person to use, they extract a **** ton of tannins into the first beer so make your first beer going in the barrel an aggressive one or "wash" the inside of the barrel with a strong beer that doesnt stay in long.
The balance/line between beautiful barrel character and over-oxidation is paper thin. Sample frequently.

Once your barrel becomes "dirty" and it will become dirty with bugs, it is only a matter of time. There is no salvaging it. So understand your investment in a barrel might only be for 1 brew.

The most important thing you need to realize/understand about barrel aging beer is that the barrel is NOT simply an ingredient in your brew and it should never be treated like that. Barrel aging is a practice of aging and maturing, not brewing.

When you find the sweetspot and get your first pull of a beer that has that wonderful caramel/vanilla essence, it is a game changer.
While 10 gallon barrels seem the most convienent for a single person to use, they extract a **** ton of tannins into the first beer so make your first beer going in the barrel an aggressive one or "wash" the inside of the barrel with a strong beer that doesnt stay in long.
The balance/line between beautiful barrel character and over-oxidation is paper thin. Sample frequently.

Once your barrel becomes "dirty" and it will become dirty with bugs, it is only a matter of time. There is no salvaging it. So understand your investment in a barrel might only be for 1 brew.

This is all really good to know. When you say it will become "dirty with bugs", are these the kind of bugs that could still work for sour beers later on?

This is all really good to know. When you say it will become "dirty with bugs", are these the kind of bugs that could still work for sour beers later on?
Yes and No. If you happen to get nothing but lacto, brett and pedio hanging in/around your bung and in the wood then sure.

Acetobacter however is the devil.

My local beer store just got in some 3 gallon barrels that held the whisky in them. They're selling them for $110. Good price?

My local beer store just got in some 3 gallon barrels that held the whisky in them. They're selling them for $110. Good price?
No

My 10 gallon barrels were picked up at the source the day they were emptied and cost $100.
You can probably talk to a local brewery and hop on board when/if they make barrel purchases and get a 55gal ones at similar cost. Do you belong to a homebrew club that will help you fill it and pitch in money for the cost? If so, thats the better route to take IMHO.

I have a Balconies 5 gallon barrel and a new american oak 5 gallon barrel. In the balconies I use Billitte Bourbon to disinfect the barrel and keep its shape when not in use. The new american oak is a scout power house. The sites I got these are at my house so I'm not 100%. I know Few also does smaller barrels for their spirits, not sire of any other micro distilleries.

35 or 55 can't remember. Gin from the barrel was pretty damn good. And I ****ing hate gin.

Not turbid mashing unless CharlieMurphy comes to brew day.
I think barrel aged gin and gin barrel beers are both stupid, but if they're actually 35 gallons, that makes me moist.

Back