Bay Area (SF) Beer Week Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matedog

Reaction score
http://www.sfbeerweek.org/

I didn't see a thread for this yet, but things are starting to fall in place schedule wise for SF/Bay Area Beer Week (should really be renamed for accuracy). A lot of these events are getting more madhouse (to an unpleasant extent sometimes) as the years have gone by, but I'll likely attend at least a few. The only thing I'm committed to right now is the gala. Any thoughts on events posted thus far?

Are there any events posted? The Schedule page turns up empty for me.

I've missed SFBW for the last 3 years due to various things. I can go this year, but as you said, most events are madhouses, and I'll probably skip everything since I hate crowds.

I'll be out for the second half of SF Beer Week, flying out Wednesday 2/12. Hopefully I'll be able grab a beer with a few of you Cali TBers at one event or another.

I'll be out for the second half of SF Beer Week, flying out Wednesday 2/12. Hopefully I'll be able grab a beer with a few of you Cali TBers at one event or another.

****, I still owe you feedback I think. I suck at this. Anyway, let's meet up for a beer.

I'm probably only going to do local Oakland stuff (Hog's, if they have anything, Beer Rev, Sau & Brau) plus -tion night. There's so much other crap going on and most of it won't be worth the effort.

Though I'll consider any and all beer pairing dinners, it's too bad the Rare Barrel one at Mikkeller is the same day as Sau & Brau.

Saw something about a Sean Paxton dinner, which are always a lot of fun, although I haven't found much details on it. Beer dinner are always my favorite events at SFBW - you're guaranteed a seat.

Saw something about a Sean Paxton dinner, which are always a lot of fun, although I haven't found much details on it. Beer dinner are always my favorite events at SFBW - you're guaranteed a seat.
Oooo yeah that would be awesome. I'd like to see what he could when he has an actual kitchen, as opposed to the back alley behind Toronado.

I'm planning on coming down for a night or a few. No idea when yet, whatever my schedule will allow. There's a lot of things that sound cool on the events page (nonstop @ Ale Arsenal). How's the opening gala as far as barrel aged/non-standard beer fest lineups?

If anyone coming in from out of town wants to go in on an Airbnb and/or drink some beers with a homie, I'm available for that.

I think I'm doing DIPA fest, Sour Sunday at Jupiter and Sau n Brau. Then maybe something mid week in Oakland or something. Not 100% sure yet.

I'm planning on coming down for a night or a few. No idea when yet, whatever my schedule will allow. There's a lot of things that sound cool on the events page (nonstop @ Ale Arsenal). How's the opening gala as far as barrel aged/non-standard beer fest lineups?

If anyone coming in from out of town wants to go in on an Airbnb and/or drink some beers with a homie, I'm available for that.
The gala was much better last year than the year before. Most brewers try their hardest to bring good stuff. Almanac, Bear Republic, and Drake's were standouts last year in that regard.

Usually just hit the brewery takeover nights at local SF spots, from Toronado to Public House to La Trappe. Hitting a few on more than one weekday night or weekend day makes for a fun time. Convincing the wife to go to -tion night at Toronado and mix in some of the Peninsula events, like Citra if they are doing that again and Ale Arsenal. My goal is to drink a lot of Bourbon County varietals and sours.

Oddly one of the best events I attended, was the 48 hours of sour at Press Club right before beer week kicked off.

The schedule is kind of barren right now, but a lot of better events will come out as February approaches

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to the Beer Talks event that Almanac organized. It's a good list of speakers, it's only $25, and there's a beer for every talk!

Thanks for the tip! I could not find that on the SF Beer Week website, it seems to be missing events, but found it via the brewery's website.

The gala was much better last year than the year before. Most brewers try their hardest to bring good stuff. Almanac, Bear Republic, and Drake's were standouts last year in that regard.
Yeah, I had a great time at the Gala last year. They sorted out the bathroom fiasco from the year before. I usually get in line early and hit up Younger first. Last year was where Almanac debuted their barrel aged sours. I remember they time released them.

Don't know if these will see distribution (I hope they do)

http://www.almanacbeer.com/2014/01/sfbw2014-releases/

SF_BW_BANNER_1.jpg

Will be hitting up the Beer talk and the Lazy Bear/Almanac dinner. Lazy Bear by itself is an incredible experience. Add an Almanac pairing for each of their 16 courses of food....man....salivating already.

Also Monks Kettle will be doing an all Sour lineup the same day at the beer talk (Sat) with 24 different sours on tap. Should be interesting to see what they bust out.

Will be hitting up the Beer talk and the Lazy Bear/Almanac dinner. Lazy Bear by itself is an incredible experience. Add an Almanac pairing for each of their 16 courses of food....man....salivating already.

Also Monks Kettle will be doing an all Sour lineup the same day at the beer talk (Sat) with 24 different sours on tap. Should be interesting to see what they bust out.
I'd glossed right over the Lazy Bear event. I know what Mrs. Garage is getting for Valentine's!

Where is the info on this Lazy Bear thing? I searched the website but it's so ****ing retarded nothing came up.

I'm really excited for this. I've been trying to win the lottery for their regular dinners for almost a year now with no luck. Lazy Bear + BEER is much more preferable than BYOB. I get this and State Bird in the span of a month!

Someone educate me about Lazy Bear. Never heard of it, but sounds like I'm missing out on something awesome.

Someone educate me about Lazy Bear. Never heard of it, but sounds like I'm missing out on something awesome.
Haven't heard of it either, but it's got a 5 star average on yelp (70 some reviews, so I'm guessing it's new). It's got $$$$, so it's pretty ritzy. Anyone have first hand experience?

Haven't heard of it either, but it's got a 5 star average on yelp (70 some reviews, so I'm guessing it's new). It's got $$$$, so it's pretty ritzy. Anyone have first hand experience?
I've been a few times. Its fantastic. Its always in the same place in the mission, but its "underground" because its just in this tiny AirBnB rented space. They encourage you to come into the kitchen, ask the chef how the food is made, etc. Its typically 12-17 courses, and I'm not kidding when I say Michelin star, mind blowing kinda food. He describes the dishes, and they are typically filled with components that take hours, if not days, to prep. Really really interesting and good food. Always BYOB (besides this) and a cool, communal experience. They do them 2 weekends a month or so, usually on a lotto you sign up for on his website. I think its 40 ppl per dinner max, so tough to get into. Also, not cheap, but 10000% worth it.

Alright, my flight to San Francisco is booked. Turns out my buddy out there doesn't have a car, so I don't suppose there's a bus or anything that would get me close to Russian River?

Alright, my flight to San Francisco is booked. Turns out my buddy out there doesn't have a car, so I don't suppose there's a bus or anything that would get me close to Russian River?
Supposedly there is, but I know nothing about it.

Golden Gate Transit goes from SF to SR. The Santa Rosa Transit Mall stop is extremely close to RR. I would recommend getting a car and spending the night up there. Lots of worthwhile stops in Marin and Sonoma Counties.

To be fair, the "correct" response is a link to lmgtfy.com, so I think mine was a step up.

EDIT: actually, the better answer is this: http://goo.gl/maps/SRrdr

Do people really not know that Google Maps has public transit information? It seems like people should know this.

Calm down Sheldon, I'm ribbing you for posting just to say, "I don't know."

To be fair, the "correct" response is a link to lmgtfy.com, so I think mine was a step up.

EDIT: actually, the better answer is this: http://goo.gl/maps/SRrdr

Do people really not know that Google Maps has public transit information? It seems like people should know this.

To be fair though, given the distance, there could easily be insider/local tips like an airporter shuttle or something that's not shown on Google Maps.

Back