Beer Tasting Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingus

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some guidance on a tasting I've been putting together for next weekend (August 17) but need some assistance with the tasting order or any essentials I forgot!

I plan to do 3 "sessions" each with a common theme... The order of sessions will be; Sours, Barleywines, and finally Stouts. Onto the fun part, beers being poured;

- Bruery Otiose
- Night Shift Everweisse
- 2012 Cantillon Gueze
- 2013 Cantillon Gueze
- 2010 3F Schaerbeekse Kriek
- Stone Saison Du Buff Red Wine Barrel
- 2012 Alesmith Decadence (Maple Smoked Barleywine)
- 2011 Old Numbskull
- 2011 Mother of All Storms
- 2012 Hanger 24 Hammerhead
- King Henry
- 2012 White Chocolate
- 2012 Black Tuesday
- 2013 Chocolate Rain
- 2013 BA Speedway
- 2013 BA Kopi Speedway
- 2013 Dark Lord
- 2011 BA Old Ruffian

And I think that's everything lol I've got water crackers for palate cleansers, notepads for all attendees, water and Gatorade for hydration, water for glass cleansing, lunch and dinner covered... If I missed anything or you have input on tasting order I'd love to hear from youn If you find yourself in STL that weekend, hit me up!!!

Cheers and thanks!!
Jack

iQBdDV6.gif

Hey guys, looking for some guidance on a tasting I've been putting together for next weekend (August 17)

If you find yourself in STL that weekend, hit me up!!!

Cheers and thanks!!
Jack
Sonofabitch. I'm going on a float trip next weekend or I'd be all over this.
I couldn't bring anything more awesome to add to that lineup, but I could supply some kick ass BBQ.

Where in STL are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Sonofabitch. I'm going on a float trip next weekend or I'd be all over this.
I couldn't bring anything more awesome to add to that lineup, but I could supply some kick ass BBQ.

Where in STL are you located if you don't mind me asking?

I'm actually out in the Leonard Wood area but my best friend is in the Benton Park area which is where we're throwing it down at... Where are you heading for your float trip? I went outta Salem recently and it was awesome

I'm actually out in the Leonard Wood area but my best friend is in the Benton Park area which is where we're throwing it down at... Where are you heading for your float trip? I went outta Salem recently and it was awesome
We are floating the Meremac near Steelville.

I would actually recommend not doing them in those sessions. I tend to like going back and forth between sours and not-sours, I think I get burned out on too much of the same thing a lot faster if I'm not switching. Of course if you have copious palate cleansers that may be less of an issue, I typically don't.

The only thing you didn't mention was bathrooms, and I'd assume you've got that covered. Will this be indoors or outdoors? If it's outdoors you'll want shade and stuff. Indoors you just need to make sure you have enough seating.

I would actually recommend not doing them in those sessions. I tend to like going back and forth between sours and not-sours, I think I get burned out on too much of the same thing a lot faster if I'm not switching. Of course if you have copious palate cleansers that may be less of an issue, I typically don't.

The only thing you didn't mention was bathrooms, and I'd assume you've got that covered. Will this be indoors or outdoors? If it's outdoors you'll want shade and stuff. Indoors you just need to make sure you have enough seating.

There is a shitter in the house and the budweiser "brewery" is within stumbling proximity should more urinals be necessary I figure theres enough brick that makes up that abomination for everyone to piss on. The plan is to be outside corn-holing and Cards Against Humanity-ing while getting our drink on, good call though for sure...

Interesting point in the sour to stout switching, I will have to keep that in mind... It's rare that I hold a tasting of this magnitude so I'm tryin to make it the best possible re: actually enjoying the beers

There is a shitter in the house and the budweiser "brewery" is within stumbling proximity should more urinals be necessary I figure theres enough brick that makes up that abomination for everyone to piss on. The plan is to be outside corn-holing and Cards Against Humanity-ing while getting our drink on, good call though for sure...

Interesting point in the sour to stout switching, I will have to keep that in mind... It's rare that I hold a tasting of this magnitude so I'm tryin to make it the best possible re: actually enjoying the beers
Yeah, if you're outside then you definitely want some kind of shade, and/or sunscreen.

You can do it however you want, I don't really think there's a "right" way, but I like the switching. Even with pretzels and stuff I can feel palate fatigue setting in pretty quickly at single-style events, and I think the switching helps.

Yeah, if you're outside then you definitely want some kind of shade, and/or sunscreen.

You can do it however you want, I don't really think there's a "right" way, but I like the switching. Even with pretzels and stuff I can feel palate fatigue setting in pretty quickly at single-style events, and I think the switching helps.

Sunscreen!! Yes, excellent... I was thinking about picking up some "session" growlers to help maintain the momentum between bottles and whatnot, something easy drinkin a la All Day IPA or similar partly since pours will be kinda small but also because we won't have any ipas or "downtime" beers... Good idea or bad?

Sunscreen!! Yes, excellent... I was thinking about picking up some "session" growlers to help maintain the momentum between bottles and whatnot, something easy drinkin a la All Day IPA or similar partly since pours will be kinda small but also because we won't have any ipas or "downtime" beers... Good idea or bad?
Good idea. Though don't overdo it. Pace yourselves. Also, I imagine that it's hot as balls in STL this time of year, make sure to drink a lot of water. I know you already know that, but seriously, drink a lot of water. More than you think you need. Some of that beer is high ABV and you don't want to be hung over because you sweated out all the water you were drinking between beers and are super dehydrated.

At the very least I might suggest putting sours as the middle session to break up the other two malty sessions.

That may be a good idea, start with Barleywines? I kinda envisioned King Henry being a part of the "finale" but doing that earlier may be a wise idea as I've never had it...

Good idea. Though don't overdo it. Pace yourselves. Also, I imagine that it's hot as balls in STL this time of year, make sure to drink a lot of water. I know you already know that, but seriously, drink a lot of water. More than you think you need. Some of that beer is high ABV and you don't want to be hung over because you sweated out all the water you were drinking between beers and are super dehydrated.

Agreed, Im shooting to crack a bottle every 45 minutes to an hour, with a bottle of water per guest for every pour or two.. Most pours will not exceed 3 oz (unless my turnout keeps dwindling the way it is...) so I imagine that should be sufficient barring a freak heat wave (stranger things have happened, especially with the weather in this state)

Agreed, Im shooting to crack a bottle every 45 minutes to an hour, with a bottle of water per guest for every pour or two.. Most pours will not exceed 3 oz (unless my turnout keeps dwindling the way it is...) so I imagine that should be sufficient barring a freak heat wave (stranger things have happened, especially with the weather in this state)
A bottle every 45 minutes is really slow. Maybe I'm impatient, but I like something closer to 15 minutes, if even that long. I mean, at 45 minutes per your list will take over 12 hours. That's getting pretty long.

A bottle every 45 minutes is really slow. Maybe I'm impatient, but I like something closer to 15 minutes, if even that long. I mean, at 45 minutes per your list will take over 12 hours. That's getting pretty long.

That is a good point... I just had flashbacks to DLD and wanted to slow it down a little lol

I usually just let the flow of the tasting determine when the next bottle gets opened. I can't expect people to guzzle down some of the better stuff on a time limit, and don't want people to be waiting for the next pour as well. When everyone is done, ill open the next.

I usually just let the flow of the tasting determine when the next bottle gets opened. I can't expect people to guzzle down some of the better stuff on a time limit, and don't want people to be waiting for the next pour as well. When everyone is done, ill open the next.

Are people who drink quickly usually pretty tolerant of this strategy? I can get behind that, but some (myself on occasion) can drink kinda slowly sometimes...

Are people who drink quickly usually pretty tolerant of this strategy? I can get behind that, but some (myself on occasion) can drink kinda slowly sometimes...

The more beer that gets opened, the slower people will be drinking them, naturally. In my experience/tasting group, Most people after a few will begin to notice how fast others are drinking and slow down as well. With snacks/conversation/other shenanigans it usually flows pretty smooth and the only beer that really lags when being drank is the beer people don't really care for and will be moved past anyways. I do a lot of tastings with people not so much into craft beer, so this is what I'm basing my opinion off of.

The more beer that gets opened, the slower people will be drinking them, naturally. In my experience/tasting group, Most people after a few will begin to notice how fast others are drinking and slow down as well. With snacks/conversation/other shenanigans it usually flows pretty smooth and the only beer that really lags when being drank is the beer people don't really care for and will be moved past anyways. I do a lot of tastings with people not so much into craft beer, so this is what I'm basing my opinion off of.

I can certainly dig that, although I'd say that 85% of the attendees are craft beer lovers so maybe they'll appreciate the gravity of some of the brews poured, and the pacing will be moderate

I can certainly dig that, although I'd say that 85% of the attendees are craft beer lovers so maybe they'll appreciate the gravity of some of the brews poured, and the pacing will be moderate

Yea, you should be fine then. The pace of the tasting shouldn't really be a problem.

Hey guys, looking for some guidance on a tasting I've been putting together for next weekend (August 17) but need some assistance with the tasting order or any essentials I forgot!

I plan to do 3 "sessions" each with a common theme... The order of sessions will be; Sours, Barleywines, and finally Stouts. Onto the fun part, beers being poured;

- Bruery Otiose
- Night Shift Everweisse
- 2012 Cantillon Gueze
- 2013 Cantillon Gueze
- 2010 3F Schaerbeekse Kriek
- Stone Saison Du Buff Red Wine Barrel
- 2012 Alesmith Decadence (Maple Smoked Barleywine)
- 2011 Old Numbskull
- 2011 Mother of All Storms
- 2012 Hanger 24 Hammerhead
- King Henry
- 2012 White Chocolate
- 2012 Black Tuesday
- 2013 Chocolate Rain
- 2013 BA Speedway
- 2013 BA Kopi Speedway
- 2013 Dark Lord
- 2011 BA Old Ruffian

And I think that's everything lol I've got water crackers for palate cleansers, notepads for all attendees, water and Gatorade for hydration, water for glass cleansing, lunch and dinner covered... If I missed anything or you have input on tasting order I'd love to hear from youn If you find yourself in STL that weekend, hit me up!!!

Cheers and thanks!!
Jack
Is it just me or does reading this sound like an over-exuberant teenager getting ready for his first sex date? "I've got a bowl full of condoms, industrial sized lube dispenser, every Barry White album on repeat, 10 dozen roses, de-pedaled and strewn around the house, and 78 candles lit everywhere. I think I'm finally ready."

Is it just me or does reading this sound like an over-exuberant teenager getting ready for his first sex date? "I've got a bowl full of condoms, industrial sized lube dispenser, every Barry White album on repeat, 10 dozen roses, de-pedaled and strewn around the house, and 78 candles lit everywhere. I think I'm finally ready."

It was actually 84 candles ;)

May I suggest some "filler" beer? I know a lot of folks who I drink with who like to throw in beers that are... Lets say... Not so flavorful during a tasting. Typically they want to keep drinking and tasting but just want something lighter to break up the big stuff. I typically get a 6er or 2 of north coast scrimshaw to cater to their needs, and often time i find myself drinking a few to help cleanse the pallet/ slow down my drunk. Just a suggestion.

Back