Quantcast

BeNeLux Belgium Travel Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

I'm lucky enough to get to go to Belgium for work every year. I'm sure I'm on some list from checking multiple 70lb bags on my return trip, but no care.

One site I'd add to the Brugge list is De Garre. Kinda hard to find, but if you ask at Beer Temple, they will tell you where it's at. Their triple is pretty awesome and they sell magnums to go (in this mirror black finish with a drinking song on the back).

edit - just saw stupac2 lumped it in with a couple other locations.

Anyone have any experience with Brussels Charleroi airport? I was considering using this since I'm headed to Seville after Brussels, but I'm a bit wary of secondary airports in foreign-speaking countries. Looks like you can take a shuttle from Bruxelles-Midi to Charleroi for like 10eu.

I flew into Charleroi from Rome recently and it was fine. Nice airport, easy to navigate. Grabbed our checked bags and hopped on the shuttle to Bruxelles-Midi. Smooth and easy.

Last edited:
Any recommendations at Kulminator? I feel like I really screwed that one up last time and got some well aged beers I didn't care for just for the novelty (besides a few nice 3F Geuze). I'm headed back in early February.

Any recommendations at Kulminator? I feel like I really screwed that one up last time and got some well aged beers I didn't care for just for the novelty (besides a few nice 3F Geuze). I'm headed back in early February.
I spent 3 nights there this last trip, and drank basically every Pannepot Reserva, some older Pannepot (2004, I think, the first year, was amazing), aged Rochefort, a bunch of Oerbier Reserva, aged Orval, that kind of thing. The really really old stuff (like from the 80's) usually isn't worth bothering with, except for the novelty, but the stuff that's only a few years old is awesome. Then again I LOVE aged quads, so ymmv.

EDIT: Try checking the Untappd venue, that will give you seem some ideas.

I spent 3 nights there this last trip, and drank basically every Pannepot Reserva, some older Pannepot (2004, I think, the first year, was amazing), aged Rochefort, a bunch of Oerbier Reserva, aged Orval, that kind of thing. The really really old stuff (like from the 80's) usually isn't worth bothering with, except for the novelty, but the stuff that's only a few years old is awesome. Then again I LOVE aged quads, so ymmv.

EDIT: Try checking the Untappd venue, that will give you seem some ideas.
Ha, I had a lot of similar stuff when I was there. Pannepot Reserva, aged Rochefort but had an older De Dolle Stille Nacht Reserva rather than the Oerbier. I think that one was actually probably my favorite that I had; tasted almost like a barrel aged barleywine with tons of maple notes. Had an older sour of some sort too but can't remember it sticking out.

Awesome thread! My wife and I are taking a 2 week trip to the area and this is our itinerary. The comments listed are just those I've pulled from others comments, so I can't speak to the validity of them. They mostly serve as a reference for us when we are there. If anyone else is in the area at the same time, would love to have a beer!

***Not renting a car

Amsterdam: Saturday 3/15 - Tuesday 3/18

Non Beer:

- Ann Frank House (open 9am - 9pm tix online)

- Rembrandt House (open 10am-6pm)

- Van Gogh Museum (open 9am - 5pm)

Beer:

- Brouwerij 't IJ *brewery w/ windmill (English tours Sat & Sun at 3:30pm)

- De Bekeerde Suster *small brewery (open at 11am daily)

- In de Wildeman *classic Amsterdam beer bar (open at Noon daily)

- Arendsnest *mostly local brews

- Bierkoning

Ghent: Tuesday 3/18 - Thursday 3/20

-Open - Totally free to explore museums, cathedrals etc…

- SUGGESTIONS FOR BEER AND OTHER?

Brussels: Thursday 3/20 - Monday 3/24

Non Beer:

- Grand Place

- ON BEER SUGGESTIONS?

Beer:

- Cantillon *enough said (open 9-5pm except Sundays)

- Moeder Lambik *great beer selection, 2 locations one near Cantillon (open 4pm daily)

- Restobieres (?)

- In 't Spinnekopke *beer and food

- Les Brassins *locals place, make reservations early in the day for dinner (open noon - midnight, no credit cards)

- La Bécasse *off the beaten path, near Grand Place (open 11am - midnight)

- Le Bier Circus *Corey rec. best food (Tues - Friday 11am - 11pm and Saturday 6pm - 11pm)

- de Heeren *insane beer list, pricey (outside Brussels & random hours?)

Antwerp: Day trip from Brussels

- Kulminator *opens late afternoon, amazi/ng beer selection CASH ONLY

- t'Antwaerps Bierhuiske *cheaper than Kulminator and AS good (?)

- Gollem – lots of beers on tap

- n 't Oud Arsenaal *dive bar with Belgian charm

Bruge: Day Trip from Brussels

Non Beer:

- Christs Blood - gothic cathedral

- Canals

Beer:

- De Struise Brouwers Bruges Beer Shop (should be open during most days)

- Staminee De Garre *old and out of the way beer spot (Closed Monday & Wednesday open at Noon)

- Comptoir Des Arts *close to Market Square and Bell Tower (open Wednesday - Sunday at 6pm - blues and jazz bar with lots of taps)

- t' Brugs Beertje*small taplist, but cool and tucked away albeit just outside main city center (open at 4pm and closed on Wednesdays)

- De Halve Maan *brewery (tours from 11am - 3pm every hour)

- Cafe Rose Red

- Cambrinus *meat and potatoes and decent beer

Paris: Monday 3/24 - Friday

Non Beer:

- Typical Paris stuff...

Beer:

- La Cave a Bulles

Added these to Ghent (any thoughts?)

Beer:

T'dreupelkot,

Her waterhuis

Aan due bierkant

Aba Jour

t'velootje

Herberg de Dulle Griet

Trollekelder

Bar des Amis

The walk from H to A on this map is about a mile and takes 15-30 minutes depending on speed.
Make it bigger with double click or right click>view image.

Awesome thread! My wife and I are taking a 2 week trip to the area and this is our itinerary. The comments listed are just those I've pulled from others comments, so I can't speak to the validity of them. They mostly serve as a reference for us when we are there. If anyone else is in the area at the same time, would love to have a beer!

***Not renting a car

Amsterdam: Saturday 3/15 - Tuesday 3/18

Non Beer:

- Ann Frank House (open 9am - 9pm tix online)

- Rembrandt House (open 10am-6pm)

- Van Gogh Museum (open 9am - 5pm)

Beer:

- Brouwerij 't IJ *brewery w/ windmill (English tours Sat & Sun at 3:30pm)

- De Bekeerde Suster *small brewery (open at 11am daily)

- In de Wildeman *classic Amsterdam beer bar (open at Noon daily)

- Arendsnest *mostly local brews

- Bierkoning

Ghent: Tuesday 3/18 - Thursday 3/20

-Open - Totally free to explore museums, cathedrals etc…

- SUGGESTIONS FOR BEER AND OTHER?

Brussels: Thursday 3/20 - Monday 3/24

Non Beer:

- Grand Place

- ON BEER SUGGESTIONS?

Beer:

- Cantillon *enough said (open 9-5pm except Sundays)

- Moeder Lambik *great beer selection, 2 locations one near Cantillon (open 4pm daily)

- Restobieres (?)

- In 't Spinnekopke *beer and food

- Les Brassins *locals place, make reservations early in the day for dinner (open noon - midnight, no credit cards)

- La Bécasse *off the beaten path, near Grand Place (open 11am - midnight)

- Le Bier Circus *Corey rec. best food (Tues - Friday 11am - 11pm and Saturday 6pm - 11pm)

- de Heeren *insane beer list, pricey (outside Brussels & random hours?)

Antwerp: Day trip from Brussels

- Kulminator *opens late afternoon, amazi/ng beer selection CASH ONLY

- t'Antwaerps Bierhuiske *cheaper than Kulminator and AS good (?)

- Gollem – lots of beers on tap

- n 't Oud Arsenaal *dive bar with Belgian charm

Bruge: Day Trip from Brussels

Non Beer:

- Christs Blood - gothic cathedral

- Canals

Beer:

- De Struise Brouwers Bruges Beer Shop (should be open during most days)

- Staminee De Garre *old and out of the way beer spot (Closed Monday & Wednesday open at Noon)

- Comptoir Des Arts *close to Market Square and Bell Tower (open Wednesday - Sunday at 6pm - blues and jazz bar with lots of taps)

- t' Brugs Beertje*small taplist, but cool and tucked away albeit just outside main city center (open at 4pm and closed on Wednesdays)

- De Halve Maan *brewery (tours from 11am - 3pm every hour)

- Cafe Rose Red

- Cambrinus *meat and potatoes and decent beer

Paris: Monday 3/24 - Friday

Non Beer:

- Typical Paris stuff...

Beer:

- La Cave a Bulles
The earlier you go to Anne Frank house the shorter the line to go in. My friend read the book right before going and it was great because he whispered a bunch of extra info to me.
There's a little brewery on the edge of the red light district near the Bulldog called de Prael, they do pretty good Belgian ales, though the style the designate a beer as may be a bit off. If I recall, their quad was more of a dubbel.

Yeah but you live over there.
Yes, I thought he was talking about what he would do if he travelled here? In Europe getting Fou Foune on cask is just near-impossible, not impossible ;-). Around release time I hear tell that quite a few of the better beer bars in Brussels get casks. I heard that Torst in Brooklyn had a cask on for their opening night, but that's unsubstantiated.

But we're splitting hairs. It _is_ difficult to get Fou Foune on cask no matter where you are.

Now Soleil on the other hand, that's virtually a shelf beer over here. I've had that from cask more than I've had Fou Foune ;-)

Yes, I thought he was talking about what he would do if he travelled here? In Europe getting Fou Foune on cask is just near-impossible, not impossible ;-). Around release time I hear tell that quite a few of the better beer bars in Brussels get casks. I heard that Torst in Brooklyn had a cask on for their opening night, but that's unsubstantiated.

But we're splitting hairs. It _is_ difficult to get Fou Foune on cask no matter where you are.

Now Soleil on the other hand, that's virtually a shelf beer over here. I've had that from cask more than I've had Fou Foune ;-)
Yeah, I was in Belgium a few weeks before bottles were released and heard about a cask at Moeder, but it was gone before I got there. It's hard to find, man.

Latest posts