Belgium Travel Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stupac2

Reaction score
I've traveled to Belgium a couple times now, so I thought I'd give this a whirl. It'll be pretty incomplete, but I've been happy with the results...

A couple pointers for those traveling from the US to Belgium for the first time:
1) If you're driving, check out the road rules. Highways often have unsigned speed limits, which seems to mean 120. There's no right on red. Etc. Also note that Belgians are fanatical about returning to the right after passing. Do that too. In fact, do that in the US, because people who don't are terrible people.
2) If you're not familiar with European restaurants, they can be a bit weird. First, they're way understaffed compared to the US. That means way less face time. Which is fine, except that they hardly ever come to your table for any reason. Get good at making eye contact and flagging waiters down to place orders, get another beer, or get the check.

Brussels:
Cantillon: You knew this already. It's kind of in a worse part of town, but if you ignore the men loitering around you'll be fine. Take the tour, but you knew that already too. Everything is absurdly cheap here, but you have to get lucky to find the limited stuff.
Moeder Lambic: There are two locations, one is closer to the center (Fontinas) the other farther away (Chez Moeder). I've heard that the rare stuff has all moved to Fontinas but can't confirm. The rare stuff is expensive, but hey, at least you can order it.
Bier Circus: Weird location and weirder decor, but a great menu rivaled by few other places, and for reasonable prices. Has food, can't vouch for its quality.
Bier Temple: A chain in Belgium, worth checking out, might find something you like (especially if you like glassware).

Outside of Brussels:
De Heeren: You knew this one too. Probably the best lambic selection in the country (at least of places I know of...). Good food too. Sells to go, but only with cash.
In De Verzekering Tegen De Grote Dorst: Insurance against the great thirst, in case you're wondering. Very restricted hours, but worth going for sure. E-mail the proprietor to ask about their B&B (bed and beer) if you'll have a car.
3 Fonteinen restaurant/store: Good food, vintage 3F on the menu. Store has really limited hours, can't vouch for the selection as it's always been closed for me.

Antwerp:
Kulminator: You knew this one. Go there. In fact, go there every single night you're in Antwerp. I guarantee you won't run out of awesome stuff to order at ridiculously low prices.
't Antwaerps Beerhuiske: It's fine, but with Kulminator in town it's pretty unimpressive. Unless you want some overpriced "Loons" (yes they really did have them labeled as "Loons").
Gollem: Decent food (though the locals I met didn't think much of it), decent beer selection.

Brugge:
Rose Red: Small hotel bar. Cantillon on draft, great bottle list, good prices.
Cambrinus: Restaurant with good food and a decent bottle list, including Westy.
De Kelk: Seems to be affiliated with Struise somehow, but maybe they're just big fans. Good selection, including some vintage stuff. Ask the bartender/owner for more, not everything's on the list.
Brugs Beertje, Staminee de Garre, Comptoir des Arts: Listed together because they're all pretty similar. It's worth seeking out each one if you have time, but if you don't, the other places are more interesting (IMO).
Struise Beershop: Sells some Struise stuff. It's right next to the town hall so you may as well stop by.
Bier Temple: A chain in Belgium, worth checking out, might find something you like (especially if you like glassware).

Gent:
Het Waterhuis: Fun little bar on the water, fine selection.
Dranken Geers: Awesome bottleshop. This is what I expected Belgian bottleshops to be like, but it was the only one like it. Huge selection, tons of lambic, including lambic baskets.
(I have more Gent but it's been longer since I've been there so I can't vouch for my comments.)

I've thought a couple of times of seeing if a handful of BAs I know have any interest in maybe a 10 day trip. I know this has been done like 500 times before by different groups, but I'd like to do it before the Italians and Americans wipe every cellar clean.

Pretty nice post though, seriously. You only gave away one of my sleepers, but I'm pretty sure that one has been gaining traction anyway.

You did forget to mention that Dirk looks like Doc though, so I have to dock points for that.

Pretty nice post though, seriously. You only gave away one of my sleepers, but I'm pretty sure that one has been gaining traction anyway.
Which one? I thought all of these were pretty common knowledge.
You did forget to mention that Dirk looks like Doc though, so I have to dock points for that.
Haha oh man, so I went there 3 nights in a row a couple weeks ago, and every minute I was there he was opening some kind of dreamworks playing cards and sorting them into binders. Someone asked him why he was doing that, and he said "for the kids".

I never saw a kid in there.

Haha oh man, so I went there 3 nights in a row a couple weeks ago, and every minute I was there he was opening some kind of dreamworks playing cards and sorting them into binders. Someone asked him why he was doing that, and he said "for the kids".

I never saw a kid in there.

My wife and I went there for maybe 5 nights in a row? The scrapbook is across the room....my glass of HT is too full for me to get up, get the book and get another, so **** it, we'll say 5 nights. Also, dude, it's a scrapbook. Not happening.

We found out the first night that they ONLY take cash. That really ****ed me. Long story, but it worked out. Next night, he was bringing a cat to my wife while talking to it in some funny language, brought some book about old breweries and beers to us and was trying to connect, and Els (sp?) was being awesome of course as well.

Dirk gets a bad rap, probably because he is the most visited pub for American tourists, but I'd have to say that he gave us great hospitality.

My wife and I went there for maybe 5 nights in a row? The scrapbook is across the room....my glass of HT is too full for me to get up, get the book and get another, so **** it, we'll say 5 nights. Also, dude, it's a scrapbook. Not happening.

We found out the first night that they ONLY take cash. That really ****ed me. Long story, but it worked out. Next night, he was bringing a cat to my wife while talking to it in some funny language, brought some book about old breweries and beers to us and was trying to connect, and Els (sp?) was being awesome of course as well.

Dirk gets a bad rap, probably because he is the most visited pub for American tourists, but I'd have to say that he gave us great hospitality.
The cash thing happened to us too, but they gave us directions to an ATM around the corner, worked out fine.

They've always treated me fine, but never anything special (AFAIK, anyway). I'm not sure why they'd get a bad rap, haven't had a bad experience so far.

The cash thing happened to us too, but they gave us directions to an ATM around the corner, worked out fine.

That ATM, as well as the one about .25mi away, does not work for some reason after 12/1am (don't recall the time). That should absolutely be noted. Still short of the long story, but Dirk took my green paper. We paid them back upon our return, despite Els being reluctant.

hitting brussels in the spring, have 2 days and 2 small kids. cantillon for sure, was thinking of walking from city centre? is that a bad idea?

hitting brussels in the spring, have 2 days and 2 small kids. cantillon for sure, was thinking of walking from city centre? is that a bad idea?
How small are the kids? That's a walk that I wouldn't really be jazzed about. It's not just that it's long, but that it's through kind of sucky areas (not much to see, dirty, etc). Might be worth figuring out the bus/tram system in that situation (and I can't help you there).

How small are the kids? That's a walk that I wouldn't really be jazzed about. It's not just that it's long, but that it's through kind of sucky areas (not much to see, dirty, etc). Might be worth figuring out the bus/tram system in that situation (and I can't help you there).

ages 2 and 4, will have a stroller. is it bad? i mean we have some sketchy here too.

train i am taking into brussels i believe drops off a few blocks from cantillon. coming in from paris.

ages 2 and 4, will have a stroller. is it bad? i mean we have some sketchy here too.

train i am taking into brussels i believe drops off a few blocks from cantillon. coming in from paris.
I very much doubt you'll be unsafe, especially in broad daylight, it's just that it's not the nicest area. You can certainly do the walk, but it's long and it's not particularly aesthetically enjoyable. You kids will probably get cranky. That's all I'm saying.

I have no idea if there's a train station in the area, I only took the train from the airport.

I very much doubt you'll be unsafe, especially in broad daylight, it's just that it's not the nicest area. You can certainly do the walk, but it's long and it's not particularly aesthetically enjoyable. You kids will probably get cranky. That's all I'm saying.

I have no idea if there's a train station in the area, I only took the train from the airport.

this is good info, i appreciate it

I honestly can't remember if my wife and I walked to Cantillon but there's definitely subway stops nearby. I didn't find the area bad or anything, but it's definitely boring and just more city-like than anything.

Oh and if you can, just plan on going to Beersel and Drie Fonteinen on a Friday. The train goes from Brussels there and the shop is open Friday / Saturday. I think we had to switch trains going there but it was super easy. Saturday would require taking a bus.

i want to go to fonteinen but i am only there for a wed and thursday, not sure if its worth while.
Well, that sort of depends. Beersel castle is pretty cool, your kids (and wife?) might like that. The restaurant itself has pretty good food and some rare beer (97 and 01 geuze and Hommage are the standouts), but there's not a ton in the area and it's a pretty serious detour from Brussels. I'd say that it's worth it if no one else in your party will mind.

Otherwise just hit up Bier Circus and Cantillon and take your family sightseeing with the rest of the time.

Yeah I agree with Stupac. The restaurant was cool and the old bottles are a great bonus, but it is a bit out of the way. The castle is fun to walk around though it isn't huge. I think the train was about 30 minutes? But basically you are going to Beersel to go to Drie Fonteinen and that's it.

Anyone have any experience with Brussels Charleroi airport? I was considering using this since I'm headed to Seville after Brussels, but I'm a bit wary of secondary airports in foreign-speaking countries. Looks like you can take a shuttle from Bruxelles-Midi to Charleroi for like 10eu.

I'm lucky enough to get to go to Belgium for work every year. I'm sure I'm on some list from checking multiple 70lb bags on my return trip, but no care.

One site I'd add to the Brugge list is De Garre. Kinda hard to find, but if you ask at Beer Temple, they will tell you where it's at. Their triple is pretty awesome and they sell magnums to go (in this mirror black finish with a drinking song on the back).

edit - just saw stupac2 lumped it in with a couple other locations.

Anyone have any experience with Brussels Charleroi airport? I was considering using this since I'm headed to Seville after Brussels, but I'm a bit wary of secondary airports in foreign-speaking countries. Looks like you can take a shuttle from Bruxelles-Midi to Charleroi for like 10eu.

I flew into Charleroi from Rome recently and it was fine. Nice airport, easy to navigate. Grabbed our checked bags and hopped on the shuttle to Bruxelles-Midi. Smooth and easy.

Last edited:
Any recommendations at Kulminator? I feel like I really screwed that one up last time and got some well aged beers I didn't care for just for the novelty (besides a few nice 3F Geuze). I'm headed back in early February.

Any recommendations at Kulminator? I feel like I really screwed that one up last time and got some well aged beers I didn't care for just for the novelty (besides a few nice 3F Geuze). I'm headed back in early February.
I spent 3 nights there this last trip, and drank basically every Pannepot Reserva, some older Pannepot (2004, I think, the first year, was amazing), aged Rochefort, a bunch of Oerbier Reserva, aged Orval, that kind of thing. The really really old stuff (like from the 80's) usually isn't worth bothering with, except for the novelty, but the stuff that's only a few years old is awesome. Then again I LOVE aged quads, so ymmv.

EDIT: Try checking the Untappd venue, that will give you seem some ideas.

I spent 3 nights there this last trip, and drank basically every Pannepot Reserva, some older Pannepot (2004, I think, the first year, was amazing), aged Rochefort, a bunch of Oerbier Reserva, aged Orval, that kind of thing. The really really old stuff (like from the 80's) usually isn't worth bothering with, except for the novelty, but the stuff that's only a few years old is awesome. Then again I LOVE aged quads, so ymmv.

EDIT: Try checking the Untappd venue, that will give you seem some ideas.

Ha, I had a lot of similar stuff when I was there. Pannepot Reserva, aged Rochefort but had an older De Dolle Stille Nacht Reserva rather than the Oerbier. I think that one was actually probably my favorite that I had; tasted almost like a barrel aged barleywine with tons of maple notes. Had an older sour of some sort too but can't remember it sticking out.

Awesome thread! My wife and I are taking a 2 week trip to the area and this is our itinerary. The comments listed are just those I've pulled from others comments, so I can't speak to the validity of them. They mostly serve as a reference for us when we are there. If anyone else is in the area at the same time, would love to have a beer!

***Not renting a car

Amsterdam: Saturday 3/15 - Tuesday 3/18

Non Beer:

- Ann Frank House (open 9am - 9pm tix online)

- Rembrandt House (open 10am-6pm)

- Van Gogh Museum (open 9am - 5pm)

Beer:

- Brouwerij 't IJ *brewery w/ windmill (English tours Sat & Sun at 3:30pm)

- De Bekeerde Suster *small brewery (open at 11am daily)

- In de Wildeman *classic Amsterdam beer bar (open at Noon daily)

- Arendsnest *mostly local brews

- Bierkoning

Ghent: Tuesday 3/18 - Thursday 3/20

-Open - Totally free to explore museums, cathedrals etc…

- SUGGESTIONS FOR BEER AND OTHER?

Brussels: Thursday 3/20 - Monday 3/24

Non Beer:

- Grand Place

- ON BEER SUGGESTIONS?

Beer:

- Cantillon *enough said (open 9-5pm except Sundays)

- Moeder Lambik *great beer selection, 2 locations one near Cantillon (open 4pm daily)

- Restobieres (?)

- In 't Spinnekopke *beer and food

- Les Brassins *locals place, make reservations early in the day for dinner (open noon - midnight, no credit cards)

- La Bécasse *off the beaten path, near Grand Place (open 11am - midnight)

- Le Bier Circus *Corey rec. best food (Tues - Friday 11am - 11pm and Saturday 6pm - 11pm)

- de Heeren *insane beer list, pricey (outside Brussels & random hours?)

Antwerp: Day trip from Brussels

- Kulminator *opens late afternoon, amazi/ng beer selection CASH ONLY

- t'Antwaerps Bierhuiske *cheaper than Kulminator and AS good (?)

- Gollem – lots of beers on tap

- n 't Oud Arsenaal *dive bar with Belgian charm

Bruge: Day Trip from Brussels

Non Beer:

- Christs Blood - gothic cathedral

- Canals

Beer:

- De Struise Brouwers Bruges Beer Shop (should be open during most days)

- Staminee De Garre *old and out of the way beer spot (Closed Monday & Wednesday open at Noon)

- Comptoir Des Arts *close to Market Square and Bell Tower (open Wednesday - Sunday at 6pm - blues and jazz bar with lots of taps)

- t' Brugs Beertje*small taplist, but cool and tucked away albeit just outside main city center (open at 4pm and closed on Wednesdays)

- De Halve Maan *brewery (tours from 11am - 3pm every hour)

- Cafe Rose Red

- Cambrinus *meat and potatoes and decent beer

Paris: Monday 3/24 - Friday

Non Beer:

- Typical Paris stuff...

Beer:

- La Cave a Bulles

Added these to Ghent (any thoughts?)

Beer:

T'dreupelkot,

Her waterhuis

Aan due bierkant

Aba Jour

t'velootje

Herberg de Dulle Griet

Trollekelder

Bar des Amis

The walk from H to A on this map is about a mile and takes 15-30 minutes depending on speed.
Make it bigger with double click or right click>view image.
BrusselsMap.png

Awesome thread! My wife and I are taking a 2 week trip to the area and this is our itinerary. The comments listed are just those I've pulled from others comments, so I can't speak to the validity of them. They mostly serve as a reference for us when we are there. If anyone else is in the area at the same time, would love to have a beer!

***Not renting a car

Amsterdam: Saturday 3/15 - Tuesday 3/18

Non Beer:

- Ann Frank House (open 9am - 9pm tix online)

- Rembrandt House (open 10am-6pm)

- Van Gogh Museum (open 9am - 5pm)

Beer:

- Brouwerij 't IJ *brewery w/ windmill (English tours Sat & Sun at 3:30pm)

- De Bekeerde Suster *small brewery (open at 11am daily)

- In de Wildeman *classic Amsterdam beer bar (open at Noon daily)

- Arendsnest *mostly local brews

- Bierkoning

Ghent: Tuesday 3/18 - Thursday 3/20

-Open - Totally free to explore museums, cathedrals etc…

- SUGGESTIONS FOR BEER AND OTHER?

Brussels: Thursday 3/20 - Monday 3/24

Non Beer:

- Grand Place

- ON BEER SUGGESTIONS?

Beer:

- Cantillon *enough said (open 9-5pm except Sundays)

- Moeder Lambik *great beer selection, 2 locations one near Cantillon (open 4pm daily)

- Restobieres (?)

- In 't Spinnekopke *beer and food

- Les Brassins *locals place, make reservations early in the day for dinner (open noon - midnight, no credit cards)

- La Bécasse *off the beaten path, near Grand Place (open 11am - midnight)

- Le Bier Circus *Corey rec. best food (Tues - Friday 11am - 11pm and Saturday 6pm - 11pm)

- de Heeren *insane beer list, pricey (outside Brussels & random hours?)

Antwerp: Day trip from Brussels

- Kulminator *opens late afternoon, amazi/ng beer selection CASH ONLY

- t'Antwaerps Bierhuiske *cheaper than Kulminator and AS good (?)

- Gollem – lots of beers on tap

- n 't Oud Arsenaal *dive bar with Belgian charm

Bruge: Day Trip from Brussels

Non Beer:

- Christs Blood - gothic cathedral

- Canals

Beer:

- De Struise Brouwers Bruges Beer Shop (should be open during most days)

- Staminee De Garre *old and out of the way beer spot (Closed Monday & Wednesday open at Noon)

- Comptoir Des Arts *close to Market Square and Bell Tower (open Wednesday - Sunday at 6pm - blues and jazz bar with lots of taps)

- t' Brugs Beertje*small taplist, but cool and tucked away albeit just outside main city center (open at 4pm and closed on Wednesdays)

- De Halve Maan *brewery (tours from 11am - 3pm every hour)

- Cafe Rose Red

- Cambrinus *meat and potatoes and decent beer

Paris: Monday 3/24 - Friday

Non Beer:

- Typical Paris stuff...

Beer:

- La Cave a Bulles
The earlier you go to Anne Frank house the shorter the line to go in. My friend read the book right before going and it was great because he whispered a bunch of extra info to me.
There's a little brewery on the edge of the red light district near the Bulldog called de Prael, they do pretty good Belgian ales, though the style the designate a beer as may be a bit off. If I recall, their quad was more of a dubbel.

All I want to accomplish out of a Belgian trip is to drink Fou Foune on cask with some good accompanying food, and buy a heap of tasty bottles.
Good luck with the Fou Foune part. You need more luck to find Fou on cask than you do to find Millennium Geuze for sale.

Yeah but you live over there.

Yes, I thought he was talking about what he would do if he travelled here? In Europe getting Fou Foune on cask is just near-impossible, not impossible ;-). Around release time I hear tell that quite a few of the better beer bars in Brussels get casks. I heard that Torst in Brooklyn had a cask on for their opening night, but that's unsubstantiated.

But we're splitting hairs. It _is_ difficult to get Fou Foune on cask no matter where you are.

Now Soleil on the other hand, that's virtually a shelf beer over here. I've had that from cask more than I've had Fou Foune ;-)

Yes, I thought he was talking about what he would do if he travelled here? In Europe getting Fou Foune on cask is just near-impossible, not impossible ;-). Around release time I hear tell that quite a few of the better beer bars in Brussels get casks. I heard that Torst in Brooklyn had a cask on for their opening night, but that's unsubstantiated.

But we're splitting hairs. It _is_ difficult to get Fou Foune on cask no matter where you are.

Now Soleil on the other hand, that's virtually a shelf beer over here. I've had that from cask more than I've had Fou Foune ;-)
Yeah, I was in Belgium a few weeks before bottles were released and heard about a cask at Moeder, but it was gone before I got there. It's hard to find, man.

Back