Quantcast

BeNeLux Belgium Travel Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Last time I was in Belgium I made a point of tracking down some fresh Orval. Merchant du Vin doesn't seem to bring it over until it's at least 6 months to a year old.
Cafe Rose Red in Bruge and a few other places had sub-6-month-old Orval available, which became my go-to everywhere we went to before getting into the lambic. It really is excellent that close to bottling.

Heumarkt: can easily hit pfaffen, päffgen ( 2nd best) and muehlen (best Kölsch), if you’re here past 4pm? Craft beer corner cologne is great.

Near Chlodwigplatz is awesome coffee, Ernst, and really solid pizza w some craft beer and wine at 485 grad, both on Bonnerstr.

Definitely walk into the Cathedral at the train station, it is stunning.

Water on the Rhein has been rising steadily, so might be flooding tomorrow! It’s risen 11ft in the past 6 days and current prognosis is 4 more feet in the next 48hrs.

Need more recs?

Heumarkt: can easily hit pfaffen, päffgen ( 2nd best) and muehlen (best Kölsch), if you’re here past 4pm? Craft beer corner cologne is great.

Near Chlodwigplatz is awesome coffee, Ernst, and really solid pizza w some craft beer and wine at 485 grad, both on Bonnerstr.

Water on the Rhein has been rising steadily, so might be flooding tomorrow! It’s risen 11ft in the past 6 days and current prognosis is 4 more feet in the next 48hrs.

Need more recs?
That is perfect. Thank you!

Need more recs?
Actually, do you have any recommendations for traditional German food, perhaps even something unique to the region?

vav

because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer
Contributor
Actually, do you have any recommendations for traditional German food, perhaps even something unique to the region?
Go to Mühlen, it's a Kölsch brewery that's got wicked good food. They're one of the few places to serve Mett, which is pork tartar, and it's amazing. Jaegerschnitzel was on point too.

Will be heading to Brussels next weekend. Will be at 3F Saturday, Sunday day trip to bruges and Monday at cantillon. If anyone is interested in opening some bottles. I’ll be walking distance to cantillon. Read through this thread and got some great tips!

Starting to plan my return trip to the motherland this year. Unfortunately won’t be able to do Quintessence or OBD, but am happy to go during a less popular time to spend a little more of my trip soaking up the beer and culture

Does anyone have any insight on what July/August looks like for lambic breweries and cafes? Any closures I should be aware of? If I recall, the o-Droom closes for a bit of time during the summer, is that right?

Starting to plan my return trip to the motherland this year. Unfortunately won’t be able to do Quintessence or OBD, but am happy to go during a less popular time to spend a little more of my trip soaking up the beer and culture

Does anyone have any insight on what July/August looks like for lambic breweries and cafes? Any closures I should be aware of? If I recall, the o-Droom closes for a bit of time during the summer, is that right?
BXL beer fest in August. :)

BXL beer fest in August. :)
I don’t think I’ll be able to do BXL or OBD due to likely starting a grad program around then :(

And frankly I’d rather visit during a non-festival time so I can take everything in without tons of other beer tourists around. Last years OBD experience was fun but a bit offputting with all the whale hunters and bottle flippers around.

If you're going to Europe in the summer, expect things to be closed for weeks at a time. Generally speaking if there's anything you really must do, check with them about closures, they usually know well in advance.

If you're going to Europe in the summer, expect things to be closed for weeks at a time. Generally speaking if there's anything you really must do, check with them about closures, they usually know well in advance.
Ya, fair point. I’ll reach out to the places I would like to visit on this trip. I expect having to navigate the closures, hence my OP.

I don’t think I’ll be able to do BXL or OBD due to likely starting a grad program around then :(

And frankly I’d rather visit during a non-festival time so I can take everything in without tons of other beer tourists around. Last years OBD experience was fun but a bit offputting with all the whale hunters and bottle flippers around.
Just avoid all of the lambic activities and even dorst, its pretty much a tourist trap, hit up some of the more local places. The owner of Den herberg just told me their first gueuze will be ready in about 6 months! More then happy to help with cool local bars and drinkshops.

DHVL is amazing in the summer and fall with outdoor seating and hands down my favorite beer place

Just avoid all of the lambic activities and even dorst, its pretty much a tourist trap, hit up some of the more local places. The owner of Den herberg just told me their first gueuze will be ready in about 6 months! More then happy to help with cool local bars and drinkshops.

DHVL is amazing in the summer and fall with outdoor seating and hands down my favorite beer place

DHVL was a highlight of my last trip so if I can swing a dinner there I will certainly do it.

Thanks for your insight, certainly appreciated. Once this trip becomes official I will reach out for local recommendations.

but am happy to go during a less popular time to spend a little more of my trip soaking up the beer and culture

Not sure if Lambik-o-Droom closes during summer, but I think the best times to visit or Thursdays or Fridays when nothing else is going on. On their website it says you need 10 people for a tour, but they will also show smaller groups around. My best experience there was drinking sherry straight from the barrels that they were going to use to make Zenne.

Other places are quite cool to visit too during the week when it's quiet (when they're open ofcourse). Mostly Cantillon gets a lot of extra tourists during summer, and you can't see the brewing proces, but it's still worth going anyway.

July is probably peak time for closures throughout the EU. Id expect smaller and more local places to be closed for at least part of July but Im no expert. High risk, high reward?

Lol you say to avoid touristy places, including Grote Dorst, then follow that with an endorsement of DHVL? I’m so confused...

DHVL is not strictly a tourist place, ever been there at lunch hour? It's very popular in the area with local people
I have been to both many times. Grote Dorst, due to its location and hours is definitely not strictly a tourist place. I would even go so far as to say Grote Dorst has a lot more locals than tourists, but it is just decidedly smaller.

They are very different places, and I personally have stopped going to DHVL largely due to their prices and them having taken on the attitudes of some of the shit lords who frequent their establishment.

Latest posts