Berlin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCLA

Reaction score
Will be in Berlin in early May after Quintessence and would like to get some recommendations of places to go visit: food, beer, areas to stay, sight seeing, tips etc. Plus if any Talkbeer peeps live there or might be there hit me up. Would love to meet up since I'll probably doing that leg of the trip solo. Any help would be really appreciated and hopefully others will be able to use it as well. Cheers!

Love that city, it's awesome. Was there a little over a year ago...we rented this AirBnB in Prenzlauer Berg in what was once East Germany. Was a great plave in a cool, "real" neighborhood, and very close to U-Bahn, which can get you all over the city. Berlin's a great city to just walk and explore...outside of the standard touristy sites (Brandenburg Gate, the Wall, Reichstag, Unter den Linden, Museums, etc...which are great btw) there's tons of quirky spots to check out. We went on a "street art" walking tour, which was pretty cool, I'd highly recommend. I can't find the actual name of the company/org we went with, but if you do some research I'm sure you'll find a good one. For a really good, authentic Schnitzel, in a very casual environment, check out Imbiss 24 (also in PB). There's some cool cocktail bars, too...we checked out Buck and Breck in Mitte, which had great drinks and seemed almost stereotypically uber-cool German in a "Sprockets" sort of way. For Biergartens, you can't beat Cafe am Neun See in the Tiergarten, or, for a more local experience, try Prater Biergarten in PB. Let's see what else...The Ramones museum was pretty cool, and a brief stop if you're into music. I'm sure there's more, but I'll stop...I'm sure others will have some great input, too. Jealous!

giphy-9cfa48e7f46c64486a797f934ea12714.gif

I really liked Mitte. Lots of awesome restaraunts im the area. Specifically the Korean fried chicken place i cant remember the name of.

I also definitely recommend hitting the Mikkeller bar. I was there last summer and the dudes working there could not have been cooler. We bullshitted over beer for awhile and they started closing up shop. We asked if we should take off and they proceeded to keep feeding my girlfriend and I free beer until like 7am while we argued about American politics. It was a blast.

Second the Tiergarten beergarden as well.

Muted Horn is an awesome beer bar that sometimes carries Bokkereyder. Right by there is Klunkerkranich, a pretty awesome rooftop bar.

Berlin is such a great city to do solo, done it 3 times and I love it. I'd recommend staying around Mitte or Kreuzberg, that's where you'll find great restaurants, shops, bars etc and a ton of art and culture. Tons of young people walk around and hang out in these areas at night, great for meeting people (I really liked the bar Mein Haus Am See, I'll see if I can remember the other spots I went to). Kreuzberg especially is really central, very close to all the touristy stuff you'll probably want to check out.

For beer bars (in order of preference) I'd suggest: Muted Horn (****ing awesome place, awesome people, awesome beer list, tons of lambic), Lager Lager, and Mikkeller. Hops & Barley, Heidenpeters, and Stone are also cool but I'd keep them as secondary objectives. Try to get some Fuerst Wiacek beer (usually on tap at Muted Horn), they're a Berlin gypsy brewery and they're making some good stuff.

Of course there's also the infamous nightlife if you're into that. People are really open, I had a blast going out by myself and meeting weird folks but it's definitely not for everyone.

giphy.gif

I second, or third or whatever, visiting The Muted Horn.

Also, I live a few hours away from Berlin and will also be attending Quintessence. Let me know if you'd be interested in meeting up!

Hi

Not really sure where to post this...

But will be spending some time next month in Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Berlin and was looking for some suggestions on good drinking, eating and beer spots in any of these areas. I have never visited prior. Will have access to a car for a few days but will be on foot or public transportation in Berlin for the most part.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi

But will be spending some time next month in Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Berlin and was looking for some suggestions on good drinking, eating and beer spots in any of these areas. I have never visited prior. Will have access to a car for a few days but will be on foot or public transportation in Berlin for the most part.

In Berlin, drink Rothaus Pils and Augustiner Hell. The best craft beer bar is Muted Horn (they have the brewery formerly known as Bokkereyder sometimes). Near Muted Horn I had a great time at Klunkerkranich, a crazy rooftop bar, which had Pilsner Urquell tank beer and cocktails. It’s a young, rowdy, crowded spot but I had a great time and it’s a nice view, especially at sunset. The best beer garden-type place we went was Prater Biergarten. There is also a Weihenstephan pub which was tasty, but you’ve probably had all their beer already.

Hi

When in April will you be in Stuttgart? Mon Petit Cafe is having their 6th anniversary party on the 26th or 27th...have to look it up. Either way, it's worth a stop. Kraftpaule is great too. If you like bbq, a place called 87 is legit and has above average beer for the area.

Hi

For the Frankfurt part of your journey, if you want to do something non-touristy and get a hyper-local biergarten experience in the German burbs (especially if weather is nice), do yourself a favor and checkout Der Gundhof in Walldorf-Morfelden. It's also conveniently located near airport. Prost!

3723bsH.png

Which breweries in Berlin are worth a visit ?
Brlo is solid and a cool place.
Muted Horn is a great bar, as is Kaschk, and there is always Mikkeller and Brew Dog.
Tons of great coffee there, but my favorite roaster is Five Elephant.

When in Frankfurt, find a way to leave Frankfurt:) That's why the airport is there.

bump! will be there in november solo for 3 days. looking at staying at either i31 or possibly movenpick, but open to recs on hotels if anyone has particular ones they've liked. suggestions in this thread have been great!

Back