Best grappes aged sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicoolaa

Reaction score
What's your favorite sour with grapes added or aged in wine barrel?

For example on my side I love St Lamvinus and recently I tried Phenomenology of Spirit wich was delicious.

So I search same kind of beers

Last edited:
I have 1 in my cellar.

I've been not so impressed by the Pinot Noir.

Pinot Gris is much different?

I like Pinot Noir and thought the Moeder 10 batch was phenomenal. Pinot Gris is incredible. Go drink the one you have and then go get more. if I could trade each of my Pinot Noir for a Pinot Gris I would do it in a heartbeat.

Casey makes some very good sours with grape (Fruit Stand Cab Franc for example).

Russian River Temptation is very good (sour aged in Chardonnay barrels).

Jester King has quite a few good sours with grape, some better than others. My favorites are Biere de Lenoir and Spon Albarino & Blanc du Bois.

Oerbier Reserva, aged in Bordeaux casks. Vigneronne is also up there.

Last edited:
None of those are aged in barrels. They are blended with different grapes/juice in a wine beer hybrid.

http://funkfactorybrewing.blogspot.com/2018/02/cervino-update.html?m=1

Bro. I got Levi into wine and talked to him about these beers before he even did them. He ferments the grape must with merts cultures in modified barrels. Usually punching down for at least a month. Then blends it down with barrel aged beer.

The wine is in barrels as long if not longer than most DeGarde Beers.

Bro. I got Levi into wine and talked to him about these beers before he even did them. He ferments the grape must with merts cultures in modified barrels. Usually punching down for at least a month. Then blends it down with barrel aged beer.

I didn't understand that at all from those blog posts!

So you're saying the cervino line is aged in different wine barrels? I also thought that the stuff like chardonnay cervino was called that because they used chard grapes/juice. Interesting.

At least a year for any component, and an average of two years?
That’s not what I was told. Not that it matters.

Back