Blue Lobster Debacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramsdell

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on what's going on with Blue Lobster?

According to Facebook, they have taken on a new brewer: https://www.facebook.com/BlueLobsterBrew

And according to their (apparently former) brewer, David Sakolsky, he has departed: https://twitter.com/angstybeer

Naturally, there is lots of class here, as well: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-brewer-at-blue-lobster-brewing-company.144677/

There has been lots of conjecture and accusations in this great rustling of jimmies. Anyone have any real facts?

Kate the Great v2 Actually, not even sure if any of their offerings were held in high regard

Lulz

EtxvPrb.png

Great screen name.

Man I hate moderation. That was the first good thread over there in a long while.

Of course, more concerned about moderating out any prime criticism of the site (and seriously, well done - that username takes a minute), and less concerned about brewery owners masquerading as "long time lurkers" to trash their former employee. Well done, BeerAdvocate.

I'm not terribly surprised there was a parting of ways, just in having spoken to both parties since BL opened. For the most part David was pretty cool with sharing info with homebrewers and talking about his beer. The owner of BL did a good job picking out the paint colors. :)

While it seems like a good opportunity for the new brewer, it kind of stinks for him that he's going to have to deal with some lofty expectations following in the wake of David's departure. I wish new guy good luck and am pretty sure that David will land somewhere pretty quickly (good training and brewing chops.)

From what I've pieced together, the owners just want to produce bland boring beers named after lobster puns and throw lingerie parties. I know they have made Dave tone down his recipes to fit their tastes. Makes sense since all the beers I've had recently felt a little dumbed down for what I know Dave can do. Too many creative differences and I don't think the relationship was meant to be. He is much better off leaving that place, IMO.

Is anyone else still interested in the final beers Dave put out there that are yet to be released? I know I really want to try these, but think it might be really awkward to go in there and grab these when they are clearly starting to go in a new direction. The whole situation is just really strange and offputting.

Their new Facebook status seems like they might have some of these for sale soon. Anything have any insight?

In moving upward and onward, we are taking the next few days and completely cleaning, organizing and rearranging the brewhouse and storage areas. Because of this, we won't be open on Thursday (tomorrow) please bear with us as we try to make everything shiny and new.
We want to let you all know that we really appreciate the loads of the support we've received over the last few days, and we promise to deliver not only some really amazing beer, but a sparkly clean brewhouse that we can let you all check out first hand.
Please come in and hang out with us on Friday... we've got some surprises up our collective sleeves!

Is anyone else still interested in the final beers Dave put out there that are yet to be released? I know I really want to try these, but think it might be really awkward to go in there and grab these when they are clearly starting to go in a new direction. The whole situation is just really strange and offputting.

Their new Facebook status seems like they might have some of these for sale soon. Anything have any insight?

I've heard from the guy who runs WHYM (can't remember his name) to keep eyes peeled for Paul's Boutique. He said it's one of the best beers he's ever had.

Why do they need to close to clean the backroom?

Maybe David left a parting gift of smeared poop all over the fermenters.

Or maybe they're taking a day off to re-strategize this change.

Or maybe they're receiving some in-person hate and they're letting people cool off for a day.

Or maybe aliens.

Definitely interested and plan to pick up some. Little Lobster on the Prairie and Piscataquaweisse were fantastic. My only worry now would be that they try and rush to release them before the bottles have completely finished conditioning/carbing, simply because they want to get Dave's beers out the door and move on. Hopefully he left them with a clear timetable for when to release (I'm sure he did) and they actually adhere to it.

Why do they need to close to clean the backroom?

It kind of makes sense with the new guy/fresh start and all. Also with some of the funky stuff Dave did with brett, even if it was used for bottle conditioning, a top to bottom cleaning would probably be a good idea.

Or maybe they're making room for a barrel of lemon extract for their summer shandy. :)

It kind of makes sense with the new guy/fresh start and all. Also with some of the funky stuff Dave did with brett, even if it was used for bottle conditioning, a top to bottom cleaning would probably be a good idea.

Or maybe they're making room for a barrel of lemon extract for their summer shandy. :)
Yes, but that's all in the back. And their brewing system is tiny. Plus they don't open until 2! I don't understand why they would close the taproom even if the cleaning overlapped opening hours.

Basically what I'm saying is the owners seem too casual about their business.

King Neck Beard has shut down any talks about Blue Lobster. Even deleted a legitimate news article about the firing. Guess I'll never understand.

I hope Dave gets up and running soon.

Don't **** with the money. Ask them about why they still have the "bros say" ratings and how can we trust that rating when they also sell ad space to brewers - they love that. aaaaand delete.

I wonder if my login still works.

Yes, but that's all in the back. And their brewing system is tiny. Plus they don't open until 2! I don't understand why they would close the taproom even if the cleaning overlapped opening hours.

Basically what I'm saying is the owners seem too casual about their business.

Yeah - he's an odd one to figure out. Kind of prickly the few times I tried to interact with him.

I think his wife runs a brewery out west - I don't know the name of it, but I wonder about if it is successful and if so, if he's going to try to replicate their style selection.

Are people thinking BL will turn into the NH version of Baxter? Haven't been following this story too closely so asking out of curiosity.

King Neck Beard has shut down any talks about Blue Lobster. Even deleted a legitimate news article about the firing. Guess I'll never understand.

I hope Dave gets up and running soon.

Dissension doesn't exist in Toddles' version of the craft beer world. Everyone is one big happy family of Advocates (except the miscreants and outlaws that have been banned on BA, of course).

Are people thinking BL will turn into the NH version of Baxter? Haven't been following this story too closely so asking out of curiosity.

Curious, what do you mean by this? I was pretty pissed about the whole Lacharite debacle at Baxter just because of how it was handled (and because I find Luke to be... not my favorite person), but I didn't think their beers were too great beforehand, and I have detected literally zero change in their beers since Lacharite got fired.

Curious, what do you mean by this? I was pretty pissed about the whole Lacharite debacle at Baxter just because of how it was handled (and because I find Luke to be... not my favorite person), but I didn't think their beers were too great beforehand, and I have detected literally zero change in their beers since Lacharite got fired.
Mediocre beers with adjuncts to make them seem fancy (see Summer Swelter or whatever it's called). I made the comparison because I did notice a change in Baxter after Michael left; not a big one, but those first few batches of Stowaway were pretty tasty and now it's average at best

Mediocre beers with adjuncts to make them seem fancy (see Summer Swelter or whatever it's called). I made the comparison because I did notice a change in Baxter after Michael left; not a big one, but those first few batches of Stowaway were pretty tasty and now it's average at best

ah, that's true, the summer and the winter stout were both post michael beers.

I was seriously planning a quick trip over state lines next week to try BL for the 1st time. Instead i'll stay away and hit up Trillium instead. Granted if the owner wanted to part ways fine no big deal but don't be a dick about it and change security codes and treat the guy like a criminal

On another note BA constantly nuking threads of meaning/actual solid subject matter and free speech, not some " what am I drinking tonight " is really putting things in perspective...

On another note BA constantly nuking threads of meaning/actual solid subject matter and free speech, not some " what am I drinking tonight " is really putting things in perspective...

Yeah - that's what kind of did it for me. I'm surprised at how easily replaceable they were/how little I miss the site.

I know nothing about Baxter please enlighten me ?

Back