Boston area thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1. Also, you were posting on BA about boston area tasting groups, DonFrap... Couple people have PMed me in the past week, so thought I'd just make a public post - I'm in Brighton, I do not have a tasting group, I would be happy to either start one or be absorbed into someone else's - I know there are others interested. Cheers!

+1. Also, you were posting on BA about boston area tasting groups, DonFrap... Couple people have PMed me in the past week, so thought I'd just make a public post - I'm in Brighton, I do not have a tasting group, I would be happy to either start one or be absorbed into someone else's - I know there are others interested. Cheers!
We get together in Brookline once a week, so I'm sure we can absorb you. We've had a constant group but it's been slowly dwindling. I'm also looking to get a large like once a month Saturday tasting going.
We really need to improve the community in Boston.

We get together in Brookline once a week, so I'm sure we can absorb you. We've had a constant group but it's been slowly dwindling. I'm also looking to get a large like once a month Saturday tasting going.

Awesome. And yes, a once a month large tasting would be fantastic for the community, I think. I know the location thing is an issue... Has anyone tried asking any of the smaller breweries? For example, Night Shift has a place that would be really good for tastings (not ideal location, but it's a thought). I've seen people doing events of sorts there - I'm just not sure if they'd be cool with it without being paid....

Awesome. And yes, a once a month large tasting would be fantastic for the community, I think. I know the location thing is an issue... Has anyone tried asking any of the smaller breweries? For example, Night Shift has a place that would be really good for tastings (not ideal location, but it's a thought). I've seen people doing events of sorts there - I'm just not sure if they'd be cool with it without being paid....
That's not a bad idea, maybe if we buy some beer while we are there.... HevvyMetalHippie can you ask about this?

That's not a bad idea, maybe if we buy some beer while we are there.... HevvyMetalHippie can you ask about this?

I can ask next time I drop by too. I get along pretty well with them. I think Auror does too, I know he mentioned being there last time they were pulling nails on the barrel society beers (but I don't know him).

I can ask next time I drop by too. I get along pretty well with them. I think Auror does too, I know he mentioned being there last time they were pulling nails on the barrel society beers (but I don't know him).
Auror is in my tasting group also. I'm gonna research any BYO restaurants to see the feasibility on that also.

these ideas, I like them. Maybe we could do one soon at a private venue (someone's dirty ass apartment, this is me volunteering mine) just to get things started sooner than later while there's momentum? It's gonna be hard enough to find a date that works for everybody, and I want to drink beer now.
We should definitely roll with this soon, but lots of stuff coming up. Maybe first weekend in November? Or we can do it on a Sunday anytime.

I'd be interested in anything happening in the Boston area. And I can start drinking after the 7th of Nov I think...

Why am I not getting notifications anymore?

Anyway, I can ask. Although I don't think any brewery will be keen on having dozens of people getting banged up at their facility on other breweries beer. Plus there's a lot of legal stuff to consider. Do they have open container permits, what's the protocol on having police there? I know that NS used to have to have a police officer on duty for pouring, before they got the correct licenses.

Also I know that doing this on the Common or any place like that is asking for it. Are there any cheap function halls that we can do this at? Or how do other cities do this, if they do at all. I know DonFrap said something like this was happening in NYC soon?

They are doing it in NYC, but it's at a beer store/bar which is legal there. Can check VFW hall or something like that.

Bars are very iffy about it in Boston. I got scolded for just sharing a tiny little bottle of stuff at the Public House once(after asking a bartender if he wanted any). Though I got an eager okay from a brewer to share a growler at CBC. Some are just a bit too paranoid, but it's understandable, it's their establishment.

I'm jomobono, man I hope silentjay wasn't ruining my good name.

K7zsKDZ.jpg

I think most cities just do tastings at somebody's house/apartment. There almost always seems to be a granite island involved in tasting photos...

I tend to think any craft bar is going to be resistant to a tasting. We tried to organize a tasting a few years ago and had tentative approval from a bar during the day before they opened, but it fell apart anyway. Best bet IMO is a dive bar during the day that wouldn't give a **** as long as you buy food or slip the manager some cash.

I can fit like 4 people, easy, in my apartment. 3 if my girlfriend is home.

Next time my non-BT, law student roommate is gone for a weekend, I volunteer my apt for a tasting, I could get a good 20 people in, and I have a pretty massive glassware collection too. Fridge space availability is terrible but we can just use a cooler. However, I'm in Oak Square, so mass transit situaish sucks.

Next time my non-BT, law student roommate is gone for a weekend, I volunteer my apt for a tasting, I could get a good 20 people in, and I have a pretty massive glassware collection too. Fridge space availability is terrible but we can just use a cooler. However, I'm in Oak Square, so mass transit situaish sucks.

Bottle share on the 57?

I live off of brooks. Would be funny if you were my neighbor.

But yeah the 64 (not too frequent) and 57 are pretty much the only bus routes. The 70 is a quick walk from the mall to my place if you know the shortcut.

I thought the community improved once the bro moved to CO ;)

sorry jomobono for any confusion.
yeah, I was silentjay on BA years ago, but got banned for pointing out Todd's ill-advised twitter post during Hurricane Sandy.

Have been lurking and in FB groups and such since then, and completely stopped supporting anything BA related, even though I used to love going to beer festivals in Boston.

yeah, I was silentjay on BA years ago, but got banned for pointing out Todd's ill-advised twitter post during Hurricane Sandy.

Have been lurking and in FB groups and such since then, and completely stopped supporting anything BA related, even though I used to love going to beer festivals in Boston.

a couple of the Drink Craft Beer festivals have been ok. although granted, I am working off a slightly misleading sample, because i drank most of the Vera Mae & S&S 4 they got for a festival last summer.

No worries, I can see how people got confused. You seam like a very level headed person and must be very attractive.

Back