Buying a Cellar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkdrankdrunk1

Reaction score
Hello,

New here but I just made an account on here to pose these couple questions:

Anyone ever bought someone's entire beer cellar?

If so, what was the experience like? How did you determine value and come up with a figure?

I ask because I ran into a fella looking to unload much of his cellar and I have never been good at holding on to beers for long enough to cellar anything so I am considering building a cellar this way. There are about 150-175 bottles (there are a lot of Hill Farmstead and the rest consist of a few Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Tired Hands, Bruery, Casey, BCBS, SARA, and so on). Unsure how to approach making an offer. I assume I cannot afford to buy them all especiallu based on what secondary market values I can locate.

Any advice would be appreciated. Feel free to PM rather than post in the thread even if you only want to hurl abuse or give me crap for for being a new kid.

Cheers!

Well if he's going to expect secondary on everything he has he's smoking crack. If you get one person to take your entire cellar off your hands, you're going to expect to take a hit to compensate for not having to make multiple transactions.

Also, you'd need to determine how much of that stuff is "shelf beer" vs something that's limited. Obviously an HF Ann is going to be significantly more valuable than a plain ole' shelfie Arthur.

I'd get a bottle list, look at how many of the bottles are of the more "limited" variety, and then try to formulate an "average per bottle" price for the whole lot.

200_s.gif

Came here expecting buying someone's basement for things like saving beer and BDSM time with Master Bob.

giphy.gif

Am disappoint.

Are you close enough to pick this up? Shipping 12-15 cases suks. I would only entertain purchasing a full cellar if I intended to pick up the product.

Welcome to the board

Back