Calvados and other fruit brandies thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Promised I would start a thread on this so here I am. Calvados obviously the focus but other fruit brandies like German obstler variants welcome.

For Calvados, Boulard is totally OK but I find a lot of their stuff pretty one-note. My go-to calva right now is Chateu de Breuil, very clean and full apple taste with strong brandy notes. Anyone tried either the double matured version or the chocolate blend? Curious about them but have yet to pull the trigger.

Would totally drink more Pierre Huet if I had the money.

in all seriousness, will be watching this thread intensely. i love armagnac (delord 25 year is my fave), so that kind of applies because grape is a fruit after all...

I thought there was a separate grappa/Armagnac/marc/raki thread? Wait, I see now that there isn't. So all welcome I guess!

I don't know much about Armagnac but I love grappa. Elisi used to be my go-to grappa but you can't get that here anymore. Sad feels.

haven't opened it yet. Also have a bottle of Laird's (lighter fluid cut with apple juice, but I'm a liquor noob)
Oh yeah - my references for calvados/fruit brandy are all European, but of course there must be many distillers in the US as well. Does anyone know what kind of apple brandy is used by Cigar City, for example (for Apple Brandy Huna etc)?

Oh yeah - my references for calvados/fruit brandy are all European, but of course there must be many distillers in the US as well. Does anyone know what kind of apple brandy is used by Cigar City, for example (for Apple Brandy Huna etc)?
All Apple Brandy barrel aged beers that I am aware of use Lairds as they are by far the largest producer in the US.

As someone who is dipping his feet into the world of brandies, what would you suggest as an introductory calvados?
Boulard. They're the mainstream brand, to be sure, but their regular VSOP (see product range here http://www.calvados-boulard.com/mag/en/page-129700.htm) is available almost everywhere, it's reasonably priced, and it's very much the "typical" calvados. While mass-produced, it's still from the Pays d'Auge region which means stricter quality controls and production requirements - the VSOP is flavourful, has a distinct apple character and heavy brandy notes. It was my go-to for years before I started to get more heavily into smaller-production/"farm" calvados.

I prefer my hooch not be adulterated with hair tonic, thx.
I didn't pick up hair tonic in the few I had. ;)
Sweet, pungent, pear floaties... one was even served out of #properglassware --- glass shoe. Yes, it had a cap. :eek:

Sort of like this (but cap was on laces, and not football spikes):

Boulard. They're the mainstream brand, to be sure, but their regular VSOP (see product range here http://www.calvados-boulard.com/mag/en/page-129700.htm) is available almost everywhere, it's reasonably priced, and it's very much the "typical" calvados. While mass-produced, it's still from the Pays d'Auge region which means stricter quality controls and production requirements - the VSOP is flavourful, has a distinct apple character and heavy brandy notes. It was my go-to for years before I started to get more heavily into smaller-production/"farm" calvados.
i actually have a bottle of this making its way over tonight. good stuff for the price.

Portland, OR Clear Creek Distillery Apple Eau de Viex is extraordinary. Alan Sprints uses these barrels as one of the treatments for Matt.

Latest posts