can we talk about whiskey?

Help Support Talkbeer:

So what is the background on these bottles? How do the 2 on the left differ from the 2 on the right (other than one of the two on the right being 17yr). And what is the story of the 3rd from the left? Neat bottles for sure!
Those are rare birds bottled by JvW in the early 90's for export to Japan. The whiskey (rye not wheat - AFAIK) is from Old Boone Distillery.

The Japanese exports are l`burg. Gold wax was the first japanese export JVW did.

Woodside and Randy Blank (Van Blankle) are single barrel picks by the bar and randy blank. Van Blankle is rregarded as one of the best, if not the best private barrel pick of Lot B. Randy is also the founder of the website Otis linked above

The A series (middle) is simply a 15 yr from the early 2000s.

Will have tasting notes on van blankle, gold wax and A series over the next month

Arbitrator

Not Patrick
Can I get a haul pic please. Pretty Please.
This is what $435 of whiskey looks like...

Completely unnecessary for the wallet and for my cellar-reduction goals (I loudly proclaimed that on the 1st of each month, I would have the same, or fewer, bottles as on the 1st of the preceding month).

Wish I could pretend zero fucks given, but I have given a significant amount of fucks, and I have used them to disguise the bottles in the garage so my wife doesn't guilt me.

The box is Lagavulin Distiller's Edition, if it's not clear. Willett is 4 year rye.

Completely unnecessary for the wallet and for my cellar-reduction goals (I loudly proclaimed that on the 1st of each month, I would have the same, or fewer, bottles as on the 1st of the preceding month).

Wish I could pretend zero fucks given, but I have given a significant amount of fucks, and I have used them to disguise the bottles in the garage so my wife doesn't guilt me.

The box is Lagavulin Distiller's Edition, if it's not clear. Willett is 4 year rye.
That Angels Envy is so good.

Whats up with the Bunnnahabhain. Can I get a close up on the label or more details. Don't reconize the bottle.

But really good haul. I need to pick me up some good scotch soon. I been slacking.

Sooooo I couldn't resist. Ended up popping it immediately. Decided to do it side by side with the bourbon I traded for the Weller 12. Luckily I had a sample from kscaldef from the WIF. JPS 18yr

Really stoked I made this trade to be honest. Not even because I ended with 250ml extra. The Weller 12 just has this incredible caramel/butterscotch aroma and flavor that is not nearly as pronounced on the JPS 18. The JPS does have a bit more oak tannins which is to be expected. It also has a tiny bit of an alcohol scent to it on the nose and dryness on the backend that isn't on the Weller 12 in the slightest. I drank half the JPS 18 sample the other night and really enjoyed it. But having it next to this SW Weller 12, it is not nearly as well balanced. It's more one dimensional and just lacking the bold easy to distinguish flavors on the Weller. I need more of this SW Weller. The crisp sweetness and caramel lingers so long and ends in a butterscotch flavor with a hint of cotton candy. WANT MORE. Can't wait to crack open some more SW Dusties I have. Place your bets on how long this Liter lasts before it's all in my belly!

Latest posts