Cantillon Analytics

Help Support Talkbeer:

1) Yes, that is correct as far as I know. I hadn't thought about the bitterness being more soluble. That explains some things!

2) Pure speculation but I always get this funk that to me says grape skin. Could be anything but I wonder if the skins do play a role in that specific taste.

3) I've never heard of St. Lam using fresh barrels. The site isn't specific, so I'd think not. Jean is usually pretty specific about that sort of thing.

4) That's an interesting theory. I guess it could be. That's an aspect of lambic production that is often overlooked. I've always thought it was probably way more important that people seem to think. I know there are flavor precursors developed early on by enterobacter.

(total noob here but)

1 - That is cool, I didn't know about the solubility piece..

2 - My understanding is that what we call "funk" has less to do with the sugars that are fermented and more to do with "other" products (Phenols, Esters...) being broken down and metabolized by Brettanomyces and turned into other things. The best example of this would be wine that is infected with Brett. That wine will typically have zero residual sugar and yet still develops the characteristic brett funk. I would guess that the funk in St. Lam definitely has to do with the introduction of different compounds from the grapes.

3 - I agree with Gestalten almost all the barrels at Cantillon are stripped clean before being filled. In the rare instance he uses a "fresh" barrel, that barrel character is very clearly indicated (for example in the various Cognac barrel treatments they have released).

4 - "they don't have the nutrients they would use to produce the metabolic reactions needed to break down the longest chain carbohydrates, so they poop out early." This makes sense and is why I assume a turbid mash is important.

Latest posts