Cellared Beer Reviews

Help Support Talkbeer:

So there are 2 threads on this site dedicated to talking about all things Fantome but I dont expect anyone to go back and read 6 years worth of discussion. I’ll try and give you the cliff notes version. Imagine if you will, a site such as lambic.info stuffed to the gills with information except only dedicated to Fantome and every single thing you read may.... or may not be 100% true.

Fantome has never had “consistency.” That is largely the part of the mystery and lure that surrounds it. You can buy a bottle a classic or surlie Saison every time you see it and it will rarely be the same. While seemingly every other brewer/brewery that exists needs to have consistency in their product, Fantome thrives on the laid back, dont take anything too serious mentality. Dany has not changed much in 30 years. I think lambic blenders/brewers are almost the only other people who can say the same. But regarding consistency, not just batch to batch and bottle to bottle but even the same bottle will change from your first pour out the bottle to last as you let it warm up and the mystery from the dregs gets incorporated into your additional pours.

If you wanna dig deep and go way back. There is a strong case to make that Dany use to reuse bottles wherever he could get them from in order to save money and just get his juice out the door. These bottles were not thoroughly sanitized and despite what he put into them, they drastically changed with the influence of what was residing in those bottles and it truly turned the liquid into something magical. Some people say he reused lambic bottles and im not gonna argue because ive had old bottles that tasted way more like lambic than saison.

Of all the beer ive drank in my life, Fantome saison in the era of late 90’s through about 2010ish was hands down some of the greatest beer i ever experienced. Beer from this period sometimes displays a strong “house” character that is immediately and uniquely identifiable as Fantome. I dont know what it is exactly but I always considered it to be either a wild bacteria he had or some unique mutation of brett he had lurking in his equipment or yeast culture. Anyway, the last time ive tasted that house character was from a bottle circa 2014 and I no longer know if its even in his beer as he has modernized a bit with new equipment and some outside forces/people have talked him into “cleaning up.” I can honestly say, most of his beers today taste like clean, classic and typical saisons without the house addition but I keep buying every new thing that comes out with the hopes ill have a “THERE IT IS AGAIN!” moment whether it be a freshly bought bottle or one I buy now and open in 5-6 years, I pray it will come back. And until that day I will cherish every last ounce in every bottle I have tucked away from the golden period.
Whenever I see posts like this I end up typing a huge response full of my own tome theories and questions. Then I delete it. IDK. Maybe I don't want to know and just keep on buying new tomes and wondering. Anyways, ISO of Fantome bottles from that golden era that stakem always refers to (would love to taste that elusive house character). And by ISO I mean someone that'd share one w me. Can bring lambic, natrual wine, morels, or whatever the fuck Fantome people are into these days.

Whenever I see posts like this I end up typing a huge response full of my own tome theories and questions. Then I delete it. IDK. Maybe I don't want to know and just keep on buying new tomes and wondering. Anyways, ISO of Fantome bottles from that golden era that stakem always refers to (would love to taste that elusive house character). And by ISO I mean someone that'd share one w me. Can bring lambic, natrual wine, morels, or whatever the fuck Fantome people are into these days.
fly up to the philly area for july 26th and share with stakem, jtclockwork and myself! =]

So there are 2 threads on this site dedicated to talking about all things Fantome but I dont expect anyone to go back and read 6 years worth of discussion.
Thank you for the Cliffs.

I don't know if this was your intention but now I want read said 6yrs of posts.

Need Fantome though, there's no way I get the full experience reading it without wetting my whistle. Maybe even need a #TireFire to get the full feels. Cheers

Thank you for the Cliffs.

I don't know if this was your intention but now I want read said 6yrs of posts.

Need Fantome though, there's no way I get the full experience reading it without wetting my whistle. Cheers
The first fantome thread is what drew me to this site. I found some old Tomes and wanted info, it came up on Google and after reading it I never left. So you can blame danyP for me being on this sorry ass site.

I used to get bottles of sur lie at cyclone liquors every time I had a few bucks to spare. Funky lime/lemonade. They never lasted more than the time it took to cool down in the fridge. Probably had 30 of them from 2003 to 2005. God I wish I had saved some. I knew nothing about beer at the time. Bought one cause the ghost looked cool and then just kept buying them. Basically drank Milwaukees best and fantome. I actually don't think there was all that much bottle variation.

Opened a 2015 Allagash Martina Rose. Sad shell of its former glory. Jammy raspberry notes have left and it’s borderline acetone at this point. Maybe some bottle variation but this was one of my all time favorite beers from Allagash a couple of years ago. Let it warm up hoping it might improve. Sadly dumping the rest.

Opened a 2015 Allagash Martina Rose. Sad shell of its former glory. Jammy raspberry notes have left and it’s borderline acetone at this point. Maybe some bottle variation but this was one of my all time favorite beers from Allagash a couple of years ago. Let it warm up hoping it might improve. Sadly dumping the rest.
Mattina I feel doesn't age well but Nancy is phenomenal with a couple years.

Drank my last 2011 120 Minute last night. It was just perfect. Carmel color and flavor. Not discernible hop bit. Just rich and smooth.

Really wish I had a few more.

Moving on to some 2009 WWS in the next few months.
Lmk... I only have 1 x 2009, but I've been eyeing it for a while now wondering if it's time.

2012 Alaskan Baltic Porter

This beer continues to be stellar with age on it. Bought a case in 2012 and have been slowly working my way through them and sharing them. Zero signs of oxidation. Dark fruit notes galore and the cherry presence is still fairly pronounced. A very good bottle but I think I enjoyed the one I cracked last fall better. Time to drink down the last couple I have.

Latest posts