Central Europe (Slovakia, Poland, Hungary)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoudreGuy

Reaction score
Working on a trip to Central Europe this coming Thanksgiving to meet up with my wife's sister and her family who currently live in Morocco.

I thin our plan right now is 10 days split between:
Budapest (Hungary)
Kosice (Slovakia) and the high Tatras mountains
Krakow (Poland)

Any good food or beer recommendations? Things to check out?

Working on a trip to Central Europe this coming Thanksgiving to meet up with my wife's sister and her family who currently live in Morocco.

I thin our plan right now is 10 days split between:
Budapest (Hungary)
Kosice (Slovakia) and the high Tatras mountains
Krakow (Poland)

Any good food or beer recommendations? Things to check out?

I had a great time in Budapest and Krakow, but was 20 and shitfaced basically the entire trip so I don't have any memory of specific places.

One memory I do have is of sitting in an Italian restaurant in the main square in Krakow with a youth dance group (the girls were probably 12) dancing to an entirely obscene 2 Live Crew song - maybe they didn't understand the lyrics?

We also went on a booze cruise in Krakow alongside an amateur rugby team in from England. They lived up to reputation, drank all of the alcohol before the cruise was halfway done and were pissing on the deck as the workers were directing us off of the boat.

I had a great time in Budapest and Krakow, but was 20 and shitfaced basically the entire trip so I don't have any memory of specific places.

One memory I do have is of sitting in an Italian restaurant in the main square in Krakow with a youth dance group (the girls were probably 12) dancing to an entirely obscene 2 Live Crew song - maybe they didn't understand the lyrics?

We also went on a booze cruise in Krakow alongside an amateur rugby team in from England. They lived up to reputation, drank all of the alcohol before the cruise was halfway done and were pissing on the deck as the workers were directing us off of the boat.

Hah.

Yeah, that’s not gonna work with my 7 year old daughter and 6 year old niece.

Been to Budapest a couple times and love that city.
I'm no foodie so I rarely check out highly rated spots but we did make an effort and reservation at Hungarikum Bistro (downtown Pest) and loved it. Old school home style dishes. My wife and kids loved the meal, and the city. Its one of my favs in Europe.
Previous trip with just my wife we hit up Comme Chez Soi. Fois gras is one of their specialties and they focus on french and italian cuisine. But what is most noteworthy is the service. Not been spoiled like that in some time. Lots of extras on the house (shots, deserts, apps). We didn't need a res when we went but may be worth getting one.
I wish I remembered the name of this spot we had lunch at on the first trip. All you can eat fois gras for the equivalent of 14E.

I've heard great things about Onyx. Didn't go but my friend raved about it.

Drinking spots? I wouldn't say there were any highlights here. Aperol spritzers and espresso or turkish coffee at cafes during the day walking around the city. Grab a bottle of wine after dinner and drink on the steps of St.Stephen's in Pest with all the cool kids. :) Seriously.

I'll write a bunch more within the next few days or so. My wife is Slovak, we spend 2-3 weeks per year there to see her family and we've been to Budapest and Krakow in the last 16 months, so I'll jot down some beverage/food spots and recs. For now, I'll second drinkypoo's recommendation of Hungarikum Bistro (I'm a TripAdvisor restaurant junkie and hasn't failed me yet). Great local, traditional fare at a very good price. Also, High Tatras won't be inexpensive, especially when compared to Košice.

I'll write a bunch more within the next few days or so. My wife is Slovak, we spend 2-3 weeks per year there to see her family and we've been to Budapest and Krakow in the last 16 months, so I'll jot down some beverage/food spots and recs. For now, I'll second drinkypoo's recommendation of Hungarikum Bistro (I'm a TripAdvisor restaurant junkie and hasn't failed me yet). Great local, traditional fare at a very good price. Also, High Tatras won't be inexpensive, especially when compared to Košice.

Not a concern, but thanks for the heads up.

Went to Budapest last year and here are my rec's. I'll have a following post asking for Krakow suggestions as I'll be there in Aug:

Budapest.
Food:
Zeller Bistro (dinner)
Belvárosi Disznótoros Károlyi utca
Neked Csak Dezső! - Brewpub & Bistro (brewery wasn't open last year, but food was good)
New York Palace Café (just get a coffee, crazy expensive, but beautiful inside)
Mazel Tov
Regős Vendéglő (lunch)

Beer:
One Beer Söröző
Krak'n Town
Hopaholic
Beer Point Budapest

Must do:
Szimpla Ruin Pub (the whole area at night)
Time-lapse photos of Parliment at night from Buda side at the water and above Budapest Castle Hill Funicular
Walk around Vajdahunyad Castle

Crap...forgot to post. Will do this weekend.

Thanks for the recommendations!

My sister-in-law has nixed Kosice, but we'll still stay somewhere in the Tatras mountains. Still doing Budapest and Krakow.

Back