AMA Chad Wiltz (Garagiste Meadery)

Help Support Talkbeer:

Can you confirm people weren’t asked back for not spending enough? There really wasn’t an ask back process. There was a window to renew. If you did, you did. If you didn’t you didn’t. They did say that because there were people that joined and didn’t buy a single bottle, they wanted members that would buy bottles. Not sure why someone who didn’t buy any bottles would want in anyway.

I don’t think they kicked out people who “didn’t buy enough.” I could be wrong, so that’s why I’m asking. Lot of info getting spread out there these days in this hobby and I’m just trying to see what’s accurate.
I got the impression everyone was asked back this round but this new “if you don’t buy enough you can’t stay” rule is for this round. It was high on the list of reasons why I didn’t sign back up.

I got the impression everyone was asked back this round but this new “if you don’t buy enough you can’t stay” rule is for this round. It was high on the list of reasons why I didn’t sign back up.
I can understand that. I just wanted some clarity on the whole thing about people not getting asked back. I never heard that.

I can understand that. I just wanted some clarity on the whole thing about people not getting asked back. I never heard that.
I would quote the actual thread but I am fortunately no longer in the FB owners group.

Was my post perhaps overly dramatic? Of course but the point being made is valid.

It’s a really shitty business model to force large purchases to stick around. If your product is good enough you shouldn’t have to do that, right? I mean if folks were confident this Vitis was so delicious just set the limit at 6, don’t make it 6 or none. That’s just being transparent as fuck that you are desperate.

I am not getting involved in that aspect of it. I got out of the club, so not my monkeys, not my circus. Also, it bit me in the ass to speak up about how Superstition was treating their members. This is a different methodology, but feels similar.

No no i know what you’re referring to. Yes that’s clear as day. I’m referring to MordorMongo saying that members were not asked back for the new round due to not buying enough. Never saw that.
I was extrapolating based on the whole decision making process where they definitely were considering pursuing the option. Intent to be guilty is pretty close to guilt. Besides the question at hand I feel is still very valid about whether increasing purchase requirements is a sound business model in the expanding mead marketplace. Lot more options out there for your dollars, doesn’t seem wise to handcuff your devotees

I was extrapolating based on the whole decision making process where they definitely were considering pursuing the option. Intent to be guilty is pretty close to guilt. Besides the question at hand I feel is still very valid about whether increasing purchase requirements is a sound business model in the expanding mead marketplace. Lot more options out there for your dollars, doesn’t seem wise to handcuff your devotees
Again, my question was about one specific aspect of your post. I don’t love the idea of purchase requirements. I was merely asking about folks who were actually not asked back for round 2 because I did not believe that to be accurate. I wasn’t intending for this to turn into an argument but I should have known better.

Again, my question was about one specific aspect of your post. I don’t love the idea of purchase requirements. I was merely asking about folks who were actually not asked back for round 2 because I did not believe that to be accurate. I wasn’t intending for this to turn into an argument but I should have known better.
Ok Ryan you got me, it was a bit of an over reach. Now stop deflecting as you know it was something they showed concern over.

I’ll change. Who gives a fuck if someone pays to be a member and doesn’t buy X amount? You charge for the membership? Now are you going to say there WASN’T a clear indication from them they have “purchase expectations” from members???

Ok Ryan you got me, it was a bit of an over reach. Now stop deflecting as you know it was something they showed concern over.

I’ll change. Who gives a fuck if someone pays to be a member and doesn’t buy X amount? You charge for the membership? Now are you going to say there WASN’T a clear indication from them they have “purchase expectations” from members???
I am not deflecting anything. I don’t run the club so I don’t need to justify anything. I asked my question and you just not answered it. Thank you.

I am not deflecting anything. I don’t run the club so I don’t need to justify anything. I asked my question and you just not answered it. Thank you.
They absolutely considered not asking members back who did not purchase enough, you know this. So yeah they didn’t kick anyone out (which I never said) but they most certainly could not invite someone back, but as it turns out enough people were going to renew so it wasn’t an issue and they changed directions.

So yes it was overly dramatic but the question IS valid

I've never been in the club, so my opinion means nothing, however I found the "six bottles or nothing" purchase requirement rather strange too.

If their intention was to sell as many bottles as possible online to help with parking, they should have made it a max of six or anything in-between. Especially since they also released a handful of other meads for online purchase, it would allow people to buy a few reboog and a few of the other varieties available, then pick them all up together.

Instead, they now have allocations lasting multiple days and that doesn't look all that great for a meadery that used to sell out immediately with crazy lines, etc.

I've never been in the club, so my opinion means nothing, however I found the "six bottles or nothing" purchase requirement rather strange too.

If their intention was to sell as many bottles as possible online to help with parking, they should have made it a max of six or anything in-between. Especially since they also released a handful of other meads for online purchase, it would allow people to buy a few reboog and a few of the other varieties available, then pick them all up together.

Instead, they now have allocations lasting multiple days and that doesn't look all that great for a meadery that used to sell out immediately with crazy lines, etc.
Kane has started doing something similar with their more high profile bottles. Eventbrite tickets for a lot of however many and sometimes a glass or something. Makes it easier on pick up days when you just have to hand out one bag per person because everyone gets the same thing. I get not everyone likes to have to buy 6 bottles of something however.

Yes good post. My dramatic post ruffled some feathers but questions this business decision does seem pretty legitimate. Doubt we will get a reply but I agree.

Kane has started doing something similar with their more high profile bottles. Eventbrite tickets for a lot of however many and sometimes a glass or something. Makes it easier on pick up days when you just have to hand out one bag per person because everyone gets the same thing. I get not everyone likes to have to buy 6 bottles of something however.
Especially when in the past that Meadery has discussed possible ramifications of NOT purchasing “enough”.

I regret not adding “considering” to my statement about members not being invited back as I have muddied the waters as Ryan has graciously pointed out.

To be clear it is ABSOLUTELY something Garagiste has brought up in the past. Did it actually happen to a member? Guess not since they had to open up memberships anyway but still.

I get the ease of packaging things up so they can just hand out and go, but it could also be like the New Glarus releases where it's packaged in more reasonable quantities. They always have a two bottle allocation for the special on-site only releases, which is super easy to package and hand out. However in this case, Garagiste could package in two bottle increments and sell allocations like that: purchase two bottles, four bottles, or six bottles. It gives a lot more flexibility for the consumer and would likely drive more sales instead of the six or nothing method.

I would also reference Huna day and their tickets / allocations. You could buy the four bottle allocation, or if you want more, they offered eight or twelve. I never wanted more than four bottles, so that was always my choice, but I can certainly understand people wanting more and they had that option.

I get the ease of packaging things up so they can just hand out and go, but it could also be like the New Glarus releases where it's packaged in more reasonable quantities. They always have a two bottle allocation for the special on-site only releases, which is super easy to package and hand out. However in this case, Garagiste could package in two bottle increments and sell allocations like that: purchase two bottles, four bottles, or six bottles. It gives a lot more flexibility for the consumer and would likely drive more sales instead of the six or nothing method.

I would also reference Huna day and their tickets / allocations. You could buy the four bottle allocation, or if you want more, they offered eight or twelve. I never wanted more than four bottles, so that was always my choice, but I can certainly understand people wanting more and they had that option.
This. Also a lot of people use the same trustee. Homies are going to be handing out drink tolens to random strangers.

The last goober I had, for me, way too much peanut butter and not enough raspberry. Also was extremely tart compared to batch 1 making it very unbalanced. This recent news here has basically made my decision up whether I’ll be joining again, invited or not.

The last goober I had, for me, way too much peanut butter and not enough raspberry. Also was extremely tart compared to batch 1 making it very unbalanced. This recent news here has basically made my decision up whether I’ll be joining again, invited or not.
Tart should age out... too much peanut butter will not.

Group Builder