Comedy (Standup, Film/TV, Podcasts, Improv, etc.)

Help Support Talkbeer:

There seem to be plenty of people here that love comedy, which makes sense. If you put a bunch of dorks in the same place together for awhile, somebody is eventually going to start quoting The Simpsons or Monty Python or whatever. So I was surprised that there wasn't already some place for us to discuss standup, comedy film and tv, improv, podcasts, and whatever other forms comedy now takes. I know I couldn't find one and wasn't sure if maybe at one time it existed, but was locked and deleted because somebody declared Jeff Dunham to be the funniest man alive.

Anyway, to get the ball rolling, I'll mention that I'm going to a screening today of this movie:

Afterwards, there's a Q&A with some of the stars (though I'm honestly not sure which ones). Ira Glass will also supposedly be there, so I'm really excited.

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Got this thread on watch. I'm a big fan of the UK darkcom stuff but loads of it doesn't translate so will hold off rather than killing this thread stone dead. :)

There seem to be plenty of people here that love comedy, which makes sense. If you put a bunch of dorks in the same place together for awhile, somebody is eventually going to start quoting The Simpsons or Monty Python or whatever. So I was surprised that there wasn't already some place for us to discuss standup, comedy film and tv, improv, podcasts, and whatever other forms comedy now takes. I know I couldn't find one and wasn't sure if maybe at one time it existed, but was locked and deleted because somebody declared Jeff Dunham to be the funniest man alive.

Anyway, to get the ball rolling, I'll mention that I'm going to a screening today of this movie:

Afterwards, there's a Q&A with some of the stars (though I'm honestly not sure which ones). Ira Glass will also supposedly be there, so I'm really excited.
So, how was it? Tami Sagher and Keegan Michael Key were both in/around improv/Second City in Chicago same time I was into it. Looking forward to this!

Also, I don't follow standup that closely, but a friend of mine who has recently transitioned from improv to taking years off to be a dad to young kids to standup sent me this link as something he enjoyed. I liked it too (but again, apologies if it's old had to you SA (standup advocates)).

So, how was it? Tami Sagher and Keegan Michael Key were both in/around improv/Second City in Chicago same time I was into it. Looking forward to this!
I enjoyed it quite a bit. If you like improv, and especially if you like NYC improv and SNL behind the scenes/origin stories type stuff, you're going to love it. All of the characters just feel so authentic. Without spoiling anything, the character Mike Birbiglia plays has to have been written with a specific person or some people in mind.

Everybody was great, but Gillian Jacobs was the standout. Chris Gethard was also awesome, but I have an irrational love of that guy, so I'll admit my bias.

After the movie was over, there was supposed to be a Q&A with Mike Birbiglia and Ira Glass (he was a producer), but we got some special guests and were joined by Tami Sagher and special guest moderator JUDD FUCKING APATOW!

Intern Gino and John Lennon are without question my two favorite more recent characters. Lauren Lapkus, PFT and James Adomian are probably my top three favorite guests, with Zouks, Nick Kroll, Andy Daly and Brendon Small rounding out the rest. There are so many good ones though, honorable mention to Joe Wengert and Jon Daly. And who could forget Benny Schwaz.

Wompler and Listler are actually among my least favorite :(

Hoping for a new ep of UTU2TM soon.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. If you like improv, and especially if you like NYC improv and SNL behind the scenes/origin stories type stuff, you're going to love it. All of the characters just feel so authentic. Without spoiling anything, the character Mike Birbiglia plays has to have been written with a specific person or some people in mind.

Everybody was great, but Gillian Jacobs was the standout. Chris Gethard was also awesome, but I have an irrational love of that guy, so I'll admit my bias.

After the movie was over, there was supposed to be a Q&A with Mike Birbiglia and Ira Glass (he was a producer), but we got some special guests and were joined by Tami Sagher and special guest moderator JUDD FUCKING APATOW!
I haven't seen it yet, but after everything I've read Birbig's character is 100% based on Gethard. Gethard was the one that started at UCB in 2000 and had a lot of his students going on to fame and fortune. Seth Myers tried to get him a job on SNL but Geth sadly wasn't up to snuff. Bobby Moynihan is one of his best friends who wound up getting a job there. Then you have Zach Woods, Ellie Kemper, etc.

I haven't seen it yet, but after everything I've read Birbig's character is 100% based on Gethard. Gethard was the one that started at UCB in 2000 and had a lot of his students going on to fame and fortune. Seth Myers tried to get him a job on SNL but Geth sadly wasn't up to snuff. Bobby Moynihan is one of his best friends who wound up getting a job there. Then you have Zach Woods, Ellie Kemper, etc.
The WTF podcast with Gethard is super interesting and hilarious, highly recommend. My only prior knowledge of him was as Ilana's boss on Broad City so it was nice to learn some background.

The WTF podcast with Gethard is super interesting and hilarious, highly recommend. My only prior knowledge of him was as Ilana's boss on Broad City so it was nice to learn some background.
Much like Chris I'm a complete shill for Geth. The Chris Gethard Show is one of my favorite things to ever exist haha. The new cable version is much more streamlined, but still a lot of fun. Public Access Years are crazy. Also highly recommend his book, standup, podcasts, etc.

This is one of the newest episodes and among the best they've ever done.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a47018/chris-gethard-profile-ucb-dont-think-twice/

Some of his students included Parks & Recreation's Aubrey Plaza and Ben Schwartz and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend creator/star Rachel Bloom. He was "immensely proud" of them and also thrilled to watch his friends Zach Woods and Bobby Moynihan score gigs on The Office and Saturday Night Live. His own efforts were not going as well. (Though Birbiglia says the character he plays, also a couch potato that can't get a TV or movie role, isn't based completely on his friend's experience, he admits there are elements of Gethard there.) "I could not get a gig," he remembers. "I definitely had moments where I was like, am I just the guy who missed?"

Chris Gethard's WTF with Maron was fantastic. One of the better ones in recent memory.

Also, I don't follow standup that closely, but a friend of mine who has recently transitioned from improv to taking years off to be a dad to young kids to standup sent me this link as something he enjoyed. I liked it too (but again, apologies if it's old had to you SA (standup advocates)).

Nate Bargatze is fuckin' hilarious. I don't know if it's his accent, his delivery, or his storytelling, but he is just one of those dudes who I just start laughing at right when I hear them.

Latest posts