Considering 348 bottle wine refrigerator , thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly

Reaction score
All my storage places for this hoard of beers I feel fluctuate too often. been thinking of storing beers in one of these for long term storing, my concern is I still want to age my Lambic. I'm kinda under the impression that putting them into a fridge might hold back the aging process until what 55 degrees?

I guess I can easily research more , but if anyones done some term storing in a refrigerator let me know what your thoughts are on the matter.

Thanks

tn375_2X-VSWR177-1BWT-wine-cooler033115084434.jpg

Storing all bottles on their side long term could be problematic. Had an issue with some de molen stouts that I put on their sides. Metal caps rusted and beer got infected :/

Of course corked bottles will do fine

Last edited:
Storing all bottles on their side long term could be problematic. Had an issue with some de molen stouts that I put on their sides. Metal caps rusted and beer got infected :/

Of course corked bottles will do fine

did the caps not have a plastic liner? How would rust infect a beer?

I've searched a lot but never found anything other than anecdotal evidence that with modern bottling storing capped bottles on their sides is a bad idea. Or am I wrong?

Since the shelves can be removed you can have a designated side or designated shelves for upright storage and the other side/shelves for horizontal storage.

I purchased two scratch/dent Eurocave units and did exactly this with one of them, which is primarily standing. I would absolutely recommend a storage unit (or multiple) if you're interested in aging some bottles but don't have an otherwise adequate storage location, whether you leave it as-is to lay bottles or convert it to a partial/full standing.

The biggest thing I'd note is that there is absolutely no way that you'll be able to accommodate for the number of 75cl bottles that the unit specifies it will fit. I've done a count in the past, but a quick estimate would be that the one I have that is nearly all laying 75cl bottles only safely holds around 75ish, but the specs say something like +125. The standing unit holds far more bottles, but it is mostly full of 33cl/12oz/375ml bottles. Just know that if you have ~150 bottles that you want to lay down, the ~200 bottle unit may not hold all of them unless it has individual slots for each bottle.

I have a beer frig and I know I would love to have my beer frig in my cellar, but there is another possible down side to Beer/Lambic refrigerators. If you store your refrigerated cellar within a cellar, the unit puts out a lot of heat and compromises the temperature in your cellar. So you either need to vent the frig or keep it a separate room.

I'd avoid laying down bottles at all costs, even corked lambic I store upright.

Better way to go is to buy a Freezerless refrigerator (something like this)
http://www.abt.com/product/87048/Danby-17.78-Cu.-Ft.-White-Freezerless-Refrigerator-DFF177A1WDD.html

and an external temperature controller (this one I have found is best, although mine is blue, maybe an older model)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00368D6JA/?tag=talkbecom09-20

Set it to 55 and done. I'd recommend a freezer-less refrigerator instead of a chest or upright freezer for multiple reasons. Most importantly.. humidity. Chest and upright freezers tend to get damp inside, where a refrigerator keeps things very dry. Secondly.. if your temperature gague malfunctions the coldest your beer would get is fridge temp, ie it will not freeze.

I use 5 x Leiber wine fridges to store and cellar beer. I store approx 550 bottles and all are stored upright. I have only been doing this for a year but the results so far are great. I store ipa at 8 degrees C, sours at 9 degrees C and darks at 10 degrees C.

I use 5 x Leiber wine fridges to store and cellar beer. I store approx 550 bottles and all are stored upright. I have only been doing this for a year but the results so far are great. I store ipa at 8 degrees C, sours at 9 degrees C and darks at 10 degrees C.
Interesting... which model Liebherr? And how did you configure them to get that many bottles in there upright? Got any pics?

Back