Copenhagen - A beer geek's rough guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macpete

Reaction score
Having followed this forum for a while and enjoyed all the great knowledge, I thought it was time to contribute a bit myself. I will try to keep this guide updated (and extend it). Also, feel free to PM me for Copenhagen tips and tricks.

Introduction:

The Copenhagen beer scene has developed immensely over the last 10 years with a number of world class bars opening up. In the last few years the expansion of Mikkeller has set a big mark on the city with the opening of about 8 locations (bars, restaurants and bottle shops) in the city. However, a few other world class beer bars (besides Mikkeller’s) are scattered around the city so hop on a bike (as we do in Copenhagen) and try them out.

Since the beginning of the 2000’s Denmark has seen an explosion in the number of breweries (and contract brewers) from less than 30 to more than 150. Many of them have had international success including Mikkeller, To Øl and Amager Bryghus.

Of the lesser (internationally) known breweries I recommend trying brews from Hornbeer (does a lot of different styles very well), Beer Here (allround contract brewery with some great hoppy beers), Dry & Bitter (lots of cask and sour stuff), Rocket Brewing (brett beers) and Flying Couch (great IPA’s).

Last edited:
Bars:

With new bars opening all the time, it’s hard to keep up. However, here’s a selection of the top beer bars serving beer out of the ordinary.

Mikkeller Bar – Viktoriagade 8: The original Mikkeller Bar on Vesterbro is a small place and space may be tight, but the selection is always great. Both Mikkeller’s own beers as well as other Danish and international breweries’. Lots of great vintage bottles available too. Mikkeller’s restaurant Øl & Brød is right next door. Taplist available on http://mikkeller.dk/location/mikkeller-bar-viktoriagade-copenhagen/

Mikkeller & Friends, Stefansgade 35: Mikkeller’s second bar, which is co-owned by To Øl, is located on Nørrebro. The bar boasts 40 taps and most of the time something rare/special is flowing. Not to be missed. The 200+ bottle list is also a bit of a treasure chest. A new lambic bar, Koelschip, has just opened next door in the space previously used for the bottle shop. Taplist available on http://mikkeller.dk/location/mikkeller-friends-norrebro/

Mikkeller Barrel Room, Refshalevej 169B,
The latest addition to the Mikkeller family (haven't been there yet). The Barrel Room is the home of Mikkeller's barrel aging project and is set in a large old warehouse. On Saturdays the roll in some food trucks. Tap list available on http://mikkeller.dk/location/mikkeller-barrel-room/

Koelschip, Stefansgade 35
Another recent addition to the Copenhagen beer scene, Koelship is run by Mikkeller and To Øl and located next door to Mikkeller & Friends. Contrary to the more streamlined interior of the other Mikkeller bars, Koelship has the feel of a local Belgian pub with hop vines hanging from the ceiling and a small bar. There is always something nice on the 4 taps and a very extensive (although a little pricey) bottle list including quite a few rarities. Tap list available on http://mikkeller.dk/location/koelschip/

BRUS and Restaurant Spontan, Guldbergsgade 29F
Another new bar, brewpub and restaurant opened by the guys behind To Øl. The bar (BRUS) features a 33 tap setup while the on site brewery has 13 fermenters and a big barrel room. Besides beer they also specialize in craft soda. The restaurant (Spontan) serves upscale Nordic cuisine at relatively reasonable prices paired with great beer. Tap list available on http://tapperietbrus.dk/bar/

Fermentoren, Halmtorvet 29C: Close to Mikkeller Bar (and even closer to Warpigs Brewpub) this basement bar is great in the summer with a nice space outside. Friendly staff and around 20 taps of good beer. Big couches and a selection of board games makes it a great hangout in the winter too. The Big Lebowski rules the restrooms... Occasionally they fire up the BBQ on weekends.

Ørsted Ølbar, Nørre Farimagsgade 13: Recently refurbished with a new tap system (20 taps). Lots of Danish craft beer on tap and a bottle list that includes some real gems. Great ambiance and knowledgeable staff. Often sports games are running on the TV’s. Tap list available on http://oerstedoelbar.dk/oel/

Søernes Ølbar, Sortedam Dossering 83: Nice basement bar run and owned by the same people running Ørsted Ølbar. A strong focus on hoppy beers usually dominate the 20 taps. They have a decent cellar including a few interesting sours. Doubling as a sports bar so football/soccer may be on screen. Taplist available on http://soernesoelbar.dk/beer/

Himmeriget, Åboulevard 27: Recently (Feb 2016) this bar is owned by the guys behind the beer importer/distributor Drikkeriget (including evil twin Jeppe Borg-Bjergsø). Lots of very rare and hard to get bottles can be had at relatively reasonable prices. The flux capacitor powered tap system is also a sight to behold. Beer geek heaven!

Ølbaren, Elmegade 2: One of the first bars on the serious beer scene in Copenhagen. Always something interesting on tap. Close to Nørrebro Bryghus (restaurant and brewpub). Great bottle selection including great lambics. Beer list available on http://oelbaren.dk/oel/

Charlie’s Bar, Pilestræde 33: This very small bar in central Copenhagen has been around for years and is a personal favorite. The place specializes in British cask ales and is the only bar in Copenhagen holding the “Cask Marque”. Chances are you’ll have to stand as seating is scarce. Good place to stop by for a pint outside peak hours.

Taphouse, Lavendelstræde 15: A fairly new bar right downtown. 61(!) taps with big screen overview of what’s on. Quite spacious and conveniently located close to the Town Hall Square (Rådhuspladsen). Tables can be booked to secure a seat. You can always see what’s on tap by going to the live-updated taplist on their website - http://taphouse.dk/ (click "English" in the top left corner).

Lord Nelson Bar, Hyskenstræde 9: Small bar downtown focusing on Danish craft brews. The place looks a little tired and local. However, the 12 taps usually offer some great brews. Good place for a pit stop while sightseeing downtown (it is a stone throw away from the central walking street, Strøget). Please note that smoking is allowed, which may be a deal breaker to some.

Last edited:
Food:

The Copenhagen food scene has (like the beer scene) reached world class heights over the last 10 years with numerous Michelin star restaurants such as NOMA and Geranium (which has just been awarded 3 stars as the first ever Danish restaurant). However, there are also many great places to eat in the slightly more affordable price range. The below is a small selection of beer related restaurants and personal favorites.

Restaurant Spontan, Guldbergsgade 29F: See above. The new hot place in town :) More info coming once I've had a chance to eat there.

Øl & Brød, Viktoriagade 6: Another partly Mikkeller owned establishment right next to Mikkeller Bar serving a modern take on the classic Danish open sandwiches (smørrebrød). Open both for lunch and dinner this restaurant boasts great food and complementing Mikkeller beers (as well as Mikkeller wines). Menu and beer list available on http://www.ologbrod.com/

Banksia Food & Beer, Gothersgade 8D: I Must admit I haven’t been to this Australian inspired place, but rumor has it that the food is good. The beer list is not huge, but the selection seems to include some great beers (both on tap and bottle).

Warpigs, Kødbyen: A 3 Floyds and Mikkeller collaboration, this Texas inspired BBQ joint and brewpub is situated in a large rustic space in the old meat packing district (Kødbyen) close to Fermentoren. With lots of picnic table seating and canteen style self service it’s a bit rough, but don’t be fooled. The food is usually quite tasty (although not so much on my last visit) but priced high considering the self-service concept. The beer selection includes one-off brews made on premise as well as some great imports. Come early as food tends to sell out. Lots of outside seating in the summer. Food and beer list can be found at http://warpigs.dk/eat-drink/

Torvehallerne, Israels Plads: Torvehallerne is Copenhagen’s leading food market full of specialty shops and restaurants. Gourmets will have plenty of stuff to be excited about from great coffee (at Coffee Collective) to great food (including an awesome duck confit sandwich) to the Mikkeller & Friends bottle shop which boasts a great selection of rare (and a bit pricey) beer.

Copenhagen Street Food, Trangravsvej 14: Located on Papirøen (Paper Island) this is in my opinion a must when visiting Copenhagen. This old newspaper storage facility (which used to hold stock of the large roles of paper used for newspaper printing) has been converted to a great indoor street food mecca with lots of very high quality food trucks and stalls. Situated right on the waterfront it has a great outside space full of beach chairs in the summer. Beer is limited but there is one place in the far back selling Herslev Bryghus’ beers which are indeed quite nice. Close to Christiania and the Royal Opera House. Check out the current list of stalls here: http://copenhagenstreetfood.dk/en/

Ramen To Bíiru, Griffenfeldtsgade 28. Yet another newly opened Mikkeller affiliated place. This very small space specializes in Japanese Ramen noodles both to-stay and to-go. 5 taps of beer with beers pairing well with the food (including Boon single foeder lambic). Menu and beer list available at http://ramentobiiru.dk/ramen-to-biiru_menu.pdf

Nørrebro Bryghus, Ryesgade 3: This brewpub has a downstairs bar serving pub food as well as an upstairs restaurant offering a more upscale menu. Very nice ambience with a view of the kettles and fermentors. Menu and booking at http://www.noerrebrobryghus.dk/english

Last edited:
Bottle Shops:

A number of good bottle shops can be found in Copenhagen. Here are a non-exhaustive list of my highlights.

Ølbutikken, Istedgade 44: This world class bottle shop is known for its yearly release of Cantillon Blåbær, which is specially made for the shop. The release attracts beer geeks from far and wide queing up outside. Just like the little mermaid, the size may be a bit underwhelming, but the selection usually makes up for that. Good place for lambics. Friendly service and a good menu of beers that can be had to-stay.

Mikkeller & Friends Bottle Shop, Torvehallerne: This place recently moved to Torvehallerne and is a great place for special beers both from Mikkeller’s own range as well as international breweries (including 3 Floyds). New arrivals are often posted on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MikkellerandFriendsBottleShop/.

Kihoskh, Sønder Boulevard 88: A small corner store with an unusual selection of great beer sold alongside candy, bread and newspapers. Lots of stuff in fridges and a few tables outside to hang out in the summer. Lots of hard-to-find bottles. Remember to check out their cellar, which is easily missed if you don't know it's there. Also, check out their webshop (although only in Danish) on http://www.kihoskh.dk/collections/all

Belgisk Bryg, Emdrup Mosevej 12: A personal favorite. The shop is situated in in a residential neighborhood and run out of the owner's basement. Although on the outskirts of town it is only a 3 minute walk from Emdrup Station, which again is a 10 minute train ride from central Copenhagen. It is only open on Saturdays from 10am - 1pm and sells exclusively Belgian beers. Price are cheap and the selection excellent. Great place for Belgian strong ales (including Trappists). Webiste (Danish only): http://belgiskbryg.dk/

Last edited:
Awesome info, thanks. We're visiting in April and it appears our Airbnb is just a 2 minute walk from Himmeriget.

Bottle Shops:

Kihoskh, Sønder Boulevard
88: A small corner store with an unusual selection of great beer sold alongside candy, bread and newspapers. Lots of stuff in fridges and a few tables outside to hang out in the summer. Lots of hard-to-find bottles. Check out their webshop (although only in Danish) on http://www.kihoskh.dk/collections/all

Worth noting that the majority of the beer is in the cellar here. It isn't necessarily obvious unless you've been told.

Btw, "latest Copenhagen news" is that To Øl will be opening their own new 8000 sq ft food and beer place in Copenhagen. They have hired "Michelin chef" Christian Gadient to run the restaurant part, which will be named "Spontan". They will also run a craft soft drink bottlery ("Tapperiet Brus") out of the premises which will also house To Øl's barrel programme (currently located in Belgium).

The place is expected to open in a few months with a "soft launch" during CBC.

awesome! very helpful!

i'm in copenhagen the weekend from 05 till 08 august.
maybe we can share some beers, and buy some bottles at himmeriget.
i'm travelling alone, so a talkbeer meeting would be nice.

awesome! very helpful!

i'm in copenhagen the weekend from 05 till 08 august.
maybe we can share some beers, and buy some bottles at himmeriget.
i'm travelling alone, so a talkbeer meeting would be nice.
Unfortunately, it currently looks like I won't be in town that weekend.

Koelschip was fantastic. 2013 Cantillon Geuze on draft. 4-5 Lambics on. Intimate setting, knowledgeable staff, English friendly, and extensive bottle list.

Sorry for not answering earlier. I have now been to Koelship a couple of times and the place is great. Very "local" Belgium feel (especially compared to Mikkeller's other bars, which are much more Scandinavian and streamlined). Always a few good options on tap and an extensive bottle list including quite a few rarities. These do, however, come at a price. They also have some snacks (sausages etc). and usually a very knowledgeable guy is behind the counter.

Last edited:
Was just in Copenhagen last week. Hit War Pigs, Fermentoren, Koelschip, and Himmeriget. Thought WP sucked and was incredibly overpriced. Their BBQ is garbage. The other 3 bars were ****ing excellent. Fermentoren had a great selection of taps, Himmeriget had a nice selection of bottles (Blabaer was actually well priced), and Koelschip was one of the best lambic bars outside of Belgium that I've been to. Great selection, solid decor, and ya, very knowledgable staff. Dennis is about as good as they come in the beer scene.

Was just in Copenhagen last week. Hit War Pigs, Fermentoren, Koelschip, and Himmeriget. Thought WP sucked and was incredibly overpriced. Their BBQ is garbage. .
To be honest I wasn't impressed myself either on my last visit. I may have to modify my above review a little bit. In any case I also think prices are a little steep compared to what you get (including the whole self-service concept). The tap list is usually quite good though.

To be honest I wasn't impressed myself either on my last visit. I may have to modify my above review a little bit. In any case I also think prices are a little steep compared to what you get (including the whole self-service concept). The tap list is usually quite good though.

We walked to Fermentoren right after and they had a great taplist, so maybe I judged it unfairly. The area around War Pigs is cool, just dont think I'd get food next time I was there.

Thank you for the guide BTW. I love having knowledgeable locals give tips on where to go, always makes traveling easier:)

Last edited:
Was just in Copenhagen last week. Hit War Pigs, Fermentoren, Koelschip, and Himmeriget. Thought WP sucked and was incredibly overpriced. Their BBQ is garbage. The other 3 bars were ****ing excellent. Fermentoren had a great selection of taps, Himmeriget had a nice selection of bottles (Blabaer was actually well priced), and Koelschip was one of the best lambic bars outside of Belgium that I've been to. Great selection, solid decor, and ya, very knowledgable staff. Dennis is about as good as they come in the beer scene.

Yeah, the food at Warpigs is embarrassingly disappointing, and overpriced. The worst food by far from what I've tried in the meat packing district.

Sorry for not answering earlier. I have now been to Koelship a couple of times and the place is great. Very "local" Belgium feel (especially compared to Mikkeller's other bars, which are much more Scandinavian and streamlined). Always a few good options on tap and an extensive bottle list including quite a few rarities. These do, however, come at a price. They also have some snacks (sausages etc). and usually a very knowledgeable guy is behind the counter.

Literally stumbled upon Koelschip while wandering around before dinner one night. Super friendly, super knowledgable, great bottle and tap options. A tad pricey but just what we were looking for in a lambic bar.

Also, while not beer related, Ralae is right around the corner and is a really interesting/excellent dinner experience.

And here I was, excited to try Warpigs bbq when they came to Boston for CBC later this month. Guess I know to avoid it given the reactions in this thread.

Literally stumbled upon Koelschip while wandering around before dinner one night. Super friendly, super knowledgable, great bottle and tap options. A tad pricey but just what we were looking for in a lambic bar.

Also, while not beer related, Ralae is right around the corner and is a really interesting/excellent dinner experience.

Manfred's is right across the street (same restaurant group as Ralae) and is a fantastic option as well. Food was excellent and their selection of natural wines was top notch. Very affordable tasting menu as well.

Will be in CPH tomorrow with a few friends if anyone wants to meet up for a beer. Looking forward to the visit!

Manfred's is right across the street (same restaurant group as Ralae) and is a fantastic option as well. Food was excellent and their selection of natural wines was top notch. Very affordable tasting menu as well.
I can second that. Great place and relaxed atmosphere.

Planning to stop over to Himmeriget on Thursday October 6th if any Copenhagen people are around, shoot me a message. Meeting a couple people to trade/share bottles, more the merrier!

Also planning to hit Koelschip, but not sure when yet...
Plan on Oct 6th is Himmeriget then walk over to Koelschip. So far there are three of us, hit me up if you wanna join!

Gonna be in Copenhagen from the 15th until the 20th. I made a reservation at Ralae. What did you think? what was the food like?

Gonna be in Copenhagen from the 15th until the 20th. I made a reservation at Ralae. What did you think? what was the food like?
I was really impressed with the food. The dishes were simple, well composed, and creative. They didn't use any ingredients we hadn't already heard of/eaten in the past - they just ended up using/preparing those ingredients in ways we'd never even thought of - so it was a fun experience while still being really approachable overall. The portions are relatively small but if you've ever been anywhere similar, you'll know what to expect.

I was really impressed with the food. The dishes were simple, well composed, and creative. They didn't use any ingredients we hadn't already heard of/eaten in the past - they just ended up using/preparing those ingredients in ways we'd never even thought of - so it was a fun experience while still being really approachable overall. The portions are relatively small but if you've ever been anywhere similar, you'll know what to expect.

Awesome! thank you so much for the info. That's pretty much what I was expecting.

Yes, unfortunately that's true :( Had my last visit there a couple of weeks ago. I've now removed it from the list of bottle shops.

It was a shame, beacuse of his health right? He still does tastings and those things?

This seems like the best place to post about my Copenhagen trip. macpete's list was very helpful in planning my trip. Himmeriget and Koelschip are must-visits. Great bottle lists and reasonable prices. At Himmeriget it was funny seeing the locals go crazy for a Monkish hazy IPA on tap while I was obsessing over the bottle list.

I would strongly recommend skipping Ølbutikken. To say the shelves were half-full would be extremely generous. Selection is almost non-existent. With no inventory and one tap line, it's hardly a "business" in any meaningful way. Kihoskh, on the other hand, was very nice: a well-curated selection with good prices. As noted by others, the bulk of the bottles are downstairs.

There's no Uber or comparable service, but biking and walking will get you just about everywhere you'd want to go.

Back