Quantcast

Question/Opinion Criteria that needs to be met to start trading.

Help Support Talkbeer:

I have been a member since last year and use to be able to post ISO:FT threads. I noticed the option has been taken away and certain "criteria" needs to be met before being able to post a thread for ISO:FT. I saw that Gene said one of the part of the required criteria was to upload a avatar. Any help appreciated on what's next?

Gene

Just happy to be here
We don't share the exact criteria to prevent abuse, but I've been recommending that people participate in the DDT as a start, and then browse around the site and find some threads on topics that interest you - reubens, Allison Brie, and weightlifting are all great examples. Participate around the site for a bit, and you'll be back on ISO:FT before you know it.

One other note: The BIF/LIF forum is open to anyone! Hands down, the fastest and easiest way to become eligible for ISO:FT is to run a LIF or participate in a a BIF.

I get placing limitations on people that just joined the site. I've been a member here for years. I've completed 100's of trades across several sites/platforms. I'm far from a newb to the scene. So it's pretty annoying I can't put up a trade here. I've been working the site the past couple days and I still can't post one. Yeah, its annoying.

I get placing limitations on people that just joined the site. I've been a member here for years. I've completed 100's of trades across several sites/platforms. I'm far from a newb to the scene. So it's pretty annoying I can't put up a trade here. I've been working the site the past couple days and I still can't post one. Yeah, its annoying.
Same boat. Still don't have posting privileges in trading forums. I'm basically over it at this point. Run into a lot of the same people from other places and there are some fun threads here not happening elsewhere. I'm sure it'll happen eventually but there are ways to complete trades w/o the "official" blessing.

Gene

Just happy to be here
Same boat. Still don't have posting privileges in trading forums. I'm basically over it at this point. Run into a lot of the same people from other places and there are some fun threads here not happening elsewhere. I'm sure it'll happen eventually but there are ways to complete trades w/o the "official" blessing.
Actually, quite different boats! tintin777, you joined just two weeks ago, and you've already contributed all over the site in a noticeable way. You've got a great likes-to-posts ratio going, which shows the quality of your posts. When you become eligible to post in ISO:FT (which will happen really soon!), you'll already have a recognizable identity around the site. This is exactly how it's designed to be.

fiver29 - you did join way back in 2013 (thanks!), but posted just five times between then and two days ago, all of which were in ISO:FT. You never even introduced yourself until these rules were in place! In the past few days, you've started an intro thread, contributed some knowledge of bottle conditioning, and compared the "milkshake" beer craze to the emergence of CDA as a style - a single post that accounts for one-third of your total likes received since joining in 2013. All good stuff. It really doesn't take much of this to get back onto ISO:FT, and I hope it's not too painful.

There are tons of places to post trade offers. TalkBeer is one of the only places it's still fun to discuss everything else about beer (and discuss everything else with people who also happen to really like beer). These new restrictions are in place to try and keep it that way - everyone who loves this site for the things that make it unique should be able to trade here, but if one's primary (or only) use for this place is to post trades in ISO:FT, I think there are probably more useful venues.

The number of people who seem to be scrambling around trying to obtain (or re-gain) trading abilities is just odd to me. If you only wanted to trade, why not just use a different site? Is it a pride thing? Or a "how dare I not be able to trade, I made my bones while you were banging cheerleaders, Moe Greene-type" thing?

I would think that if you really enjoyed this site, it would be because of the million other things you could do here aside from trading. In that case, wouldnt you keep contributing (because you enjoy contributing and enjoy the forums) and maybe trade elsewhere until you, eventually, get the ability to trade here again? Lets be honest, you are probably getting the least amount of eyes that are able to meet your trade ISO/FT on this site anyway.

fiver29 - All good stuff. It really doesn't take much of this to get back onto ISO:FT, and I hope it's not too painful.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I don't really like posting generally speaking. I looked at another web site I'm on and I've averaged 3 posts per month there over 9 years. I've posted here more in the past two days than I typically do in an entire month elsewhere. This takes me out of my comfort zone as I'm being forced to do something I don't want do.

That's fine. I'll keep at it. We're going to agree to disagree on this one.

Latest posts