Dallas for a night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 306926

Reaction score
Situation: flying in, work stuff nearish to airport, opting to stay the night somewhere/anywhere in decent proximity to flying home (planning to Uber rather than rent).

Area to stay? Uptown? Design District?
Must hit taps/brewery? Moth? Community? Deep Ellum?

Help me out Texas. :)

All of those areas and locations you mentioned are probably ~30 mins without traffic to the airport.

The cost to Uber all over Dallas might outweigh the cost to rent for one day, but if work is buying, go for it. Driving in Dallas can be intimidating for first time visitors, so keep your head on a swivel if you decide to rent a car.

Not sure what you're after in terms of styles which would help with suggestions.

As for taps, Moth has a wide selection of styles on tap as well as bottles. Food is pretty decent there as well.

The Deep Ellum area is a big music venue/bar/restaurant/tattoo parlor section of Dallas. Personally, I would skip Deep Ellum Brewing and instead head over to Braindead Brewing. Pecan Lodge is also a great BBQ spot in Deep Ellum, do yourself a favor and get there early (there will likely be a line, wait in it). Beef ribs, brisket, burnt ends and the fried chicken are all standouts.

Also, which airport are you flying into?
DFW.

I'm on the fence about driving and Uber. Being it a work thing I'm impartial but the idea of renting a car for a day when I am making a stop or two and then don't want to be driving anyway.
Also want to keep it to a centralized area or neighborhood so I can hoof it around to a couple spots.

Styles? I'd prefer access to Texas brews of all shapes and sizes but not be limited to a styles. Live Oak standards plus JK stuff on tap will suit me just fine.

Also, driving in Dallas intimidating? lol Now I'm tempted to rent.

Live Oak standards plus JK stuff on tap will suit me just fine.
Live Oak stopped distro'ing in Dallas a year or two ago.

Jester King always seems to be on at the Meddlesome Moth when I'm there.

Personally I'm a fan of staying near the Bishop Arts District area but Dallas sucks as far as having any "brewery districts" go. I'd just go to near Downtown and take Ubers.

DFW.

I'm on the fence about driving and Uber. Being it a work thing I'm impartial but the idea of renting a car for a day when I am making a stop or two and then don't want to be driving anyway.
Also want to keep it to a centralized area or neighborhood so I can hoof it around to a couple spots.

Styles? I'd prefer access to Texas brews of all shapes and sizes but not be limited to a styles. Live Oak standards plus JK stuff on tap will suit me just fine.

Also, driving in Dallas intimidating? lol Now I'm tempted to rent.

If you're looking for an area to be able to bounce around, Deep Ellum is probably your best bet in terms of variety of places to check out. Dallas isn't a very walk friendly city.

Live Oak stopped distribution to DFW a few months back :(, so you likely won't find any on tap (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). Same goes for JK, you rarely see it on tap anywhere outside of special events. Braindead may have some JK bottles for onsite consumption. There are a number of places in the DFW area that will have JK bottles in stock on the shelves if you're looking to haul some back in your luggage.

Live Oak stopped distro'ing in Dallas a year or two ago.

Jester King always seems to be on at the Meddlesome Moth when I'm there.

Personally I'm a fan of staying near the Bishop Arts District area but Dallas sucks as far as having any "brewery districts" go. I'd just go to near Downtown and take Ubers.

^Bishop Arts area is also a very cool/trendy area with a number of good food/drink options. I live about 8 mins away from there. Bishop Cider Co. has a cool little tasting room there.

Oak Cliff Brewing just opened up a few weeks ago, which might be worth a visit if you decide to go to Bishop Arts.

Small Brewpub is also nearby in Oak Cliff - great happy hour.

Last edited:
Sad news on the Live Oak front. JK is a bummer too.
So tell me WHO TO DRINK when in Texas. :)

And no brewpub/bar neighborhood worthy? WTF.

Pulled this list from a thread on BA: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...ere-first-summer-edition.511408/#post-6172969

DALLAS
Breweries
1) Peticolas
2) Community Beer Co.
3) Noble Rey Brewing
4) Deep Ellum Brewing
5) Four Corners Brewing
6) Texas Ale Project
7) Oak Highlands Brewing
8) Pegasus City Brewery
9) Lakewood Brewing Co.
10) Four Bullets Brewing
11) 3 Nations Brewing Co.
12) Nine Band Brewing
13) Tupps Brewing
14) Franconia Brewing
15) Oak Cliff Brewing
16) Small Brewpub
and more...

Growler Fills and Beer Bars
1) Craft and Growler
2) On Rotation
3) Lakewood Growler
4) Craft Beer Cellar
5) Whole Foods Dallas Park Lane
6) Central Market Dallas - Growler fills only
7) Lonestar Taps & Caps Lewisville

Beer Bars
1) Goodfriend Burger
2) The Libertine Bar
3) Anvil Pub
4) The Common Table
5) Flying Saucer Lake
6) The Brass Tap Allen
7) Meddlesome Moth

Brewpubs
1) Braindead Brewing
2) Humperdinks Greenville Ave
3) Gordon Biersch

Bottle Shops
1) Spec's Dallas Walnut Hill
2) Total Wine Park Lane
3) Central Market Dallas Lover's Lane
4) Whole Foods Dallas Park Lane
5) Craft Beer Cellar
6) Craft and Growler
7) Lonestar Taps and Caps Lewisville
8) Lonestar Beverages Carrollton

Mid Cities (Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Irving, Southlake, Grapevine, Colleyville)
Breweries
1) Legal Draft Brewing - Arlington
2) Grapevine Brewing - Grapvine
3) Division Brewing - Arlington

Grolwer Fills and Beer Bars
1) Dr. Jekyll's Beer Lab - Arlington
2) On Tap DFW - Arlington
3) Central Market - Southlake Growler Fills Only
4) Whole Foods - Colleyville
5) Bru City - Euless

Beer Bars
1) Ron's Corner Tavern - Bedford
2) Dallas Craft Co. - Colleyville
3) Bedford Ice House - Bedford

Bottle Shops
1) Hall's - Colleyville
2) Total Wine - Arlington
3) Spec's - Arlington
4) Liquor Depot - Arlington
5) Fossil Creek Liquors - Colleyville

FT. WORTH and Denton
Breweries
1) Rahr & Sons
2) Martin House
3) Collective Brewing Project
4) Wild Acre Brewing
5) Panther Island Brewing Co.
6) Chimera Brewing Co.
7) Cowtown Brewing Co.
8) Hop Fusion Ale Works
9) Shannon Brewing Co
10) Rabbit Hole Brewing
11) Audacity Brew House
12) Armadillo Ale Works
13) Denton County Brewing Co.

Growler Fills and Beer Bars
1) Pouring Glory Growler Filling Station
2) Lonestar Taps and Caps - Ft. Worth
3) Central Market on Hulen - Growler fills only
4) Whole Foods

Beer Bars
1) The Brass Tap
2) Chimera Brewing Co.

Bottle Shops
1) Spec's - Multiple Locations
2) Total Wine
3) Lonestar Taps and Caps

Brewpubs
1) BJ's Brewhouse

Thats great.

Howsabout a more better question: if you could spend a few hours at one watering hole in Dallas proper (not FW), and that has decent enough grub, where would that one place be?

If you had to kill 3hrs between Love Field and Grand Prairie, what would you do?

No more Live Oak Hefe on draft in Dallas?!?!??? Nooooooooooo!

I always look forward to a massive 22oz chalice of Hefe at Katy Trail Ice House with some bbq w/ friends when I’m there in January. :(

No more Live Oak Hefe on draft in Dallas?!?!??? Nooooooooooo!

I always look forward to a massive 22oz chalice of Hefe at Katy Trail Ice House with some bbq w/ friends when I’m there in January. :(
Honestly, if you see Big Bend Brewing Hefeweizen in cans or on tap up there, it's a VERY close beer to LO Hefe.

The founder of that brewery (Steve Anderson, who has since passed) literally designed the recipe for LO Hefe when he was working there.

We used to buy it all the time before LO started canning.

giphy.gif

Honestly, if you see Big Bend Brewing Hefeweizen in cans or on tap up there, it's a VERY close beer to LO Hefe.

The founder of that brewery (Steve Anderson, who has since passed) literally designed the recipe for LO Hefe when he was working there.

We used to buy it all the time before LO started canning.

giphy.gif
I will seek out, thanks!

Back