Quantcast

Dave's Music

Help Support Talkbeer:

To those asking about recording and mixing, this is my friend's studio which isn't entirely off the ground yet. Amoung the coastal oaks near...Monterrey I guess? Not sure how to explain to people outside of CA, but for 101 travelers, it's near that big ass red barn antique place in Prunedale area where traffic is always fucked on holiday weekends. Anywho, gorgeous down there:

http://kenalberto.wixsite.com/sabetha

Any rhyme or reason to the "if you like Dave Hughes, you may also like...." suggestions at the bottom of the page? That Here Lies Man record was one of my faves from last year.

Will give the EP a listen today after work.
Zope. Bandcamp is new to me, so I am not too sure how they come up with that. Likely has to do with subgenre tags or something.

just posted to FB:

In early 2011, Kat, Zachary, Isaac, and I were all hanging out at a bar in Oakland. If I am not mistaken, it was a fundraiser for Critical Resistance, and possibly Isaac's birthday. At the time I was a heavy smoker, so naturally, while at the bar, I'd spend most of my time on the smoking patio if there was one.

Out on the patio, I was bullshitting with a guy whose name I believe was Elijah (hoping I got that right). Some how we got to talking about music to the point where it made sense for me share my perspective as a musician. This is the first time I said "I used to make music," and it felt kinda weird, but seemed more honest and appropriate than saying "well, I can tell you as a musician blah blah..."

Elijah (we'll keep calling him) stopped me and challenged that. "Whoa, whoa whoa, what do you mean used to? What is that? How does that work?"

I tried to explain that there was a long period of time when I best expressed myself through music, and that while it was awesome, that time had passed. He wasn't having it, and started asking those reasonable questions I loathe. "What kind of music? What instrument do you play?"

To expedite past this moment and get back onto what we were previously discussing, I simply said. "You can check it out for yourself if you are interested in what I used to do, it's all online. There are some bedroom recordings up on my site DaveHughesMusic.com "

He repeated it back to me for clarity, and he said "ok, I will. " He reiterated this as we went our separate ways. "Alright man, Dave Hughes music dot com, I will check it out!" I believed he was sincere, but didn't expect that he would follow through on this temporary desire inspired by bar talk.

Many months later, Kat and I were in pursuit of a decent pint of IPA - which at the time was a bit of a hunt believe it or not - and found ourselves walking up to Barclays in Rockridge. It was after work one evening, so cars were being pushy, and the neighborhood was a little noisy. Suddenly, we both heard someone yelp my name. We looked around and assumed it was for someone else. Then again. Eventually as we see what appears to be a stranger in a car waving with both arms out the window. His light turns green, and he has to awkwardly manuever in this commuter traffic, turning onto College, parallel parking almost violently, and then getting out of his car and approaching us with a sheepish smile and shaking his head in disbelief.

"I can't believe I am running into you," he said as I am slowly becoming convinced he has mistaken me for an old friend. "I am so glad to I got to see you to tell that I love your music."

Both Kat and I must have worn our confusion loudly, as he quickly cleared things up for us. "Sorry, Elijah, remember? The Layover," he said as he put his hand out for the emphatic shake.

"Ooooooh, yeah, of course, sorry for not recognizing you, I'm bad at face AND names...so you checked out the old site? Cool, glad you dug some of it," I said before shifting the subject to describe how confused Kat and I were a second prior.

"Nah, man. You have no idea! I f*cking love it. I love it all. So much. All of it. I listen to it every day man. Seriously, every day. I can't believe I am standing here telling you this, this is so crazy. I just had to say hey and I wanted to shake your hand." Not word for word, but you get the idea. It was a showering of praise I was not prepared for at all.

The conversation ended abruptly and he gave the half hug goodbye to both of us, and we continued up the road for a pint. Kat looked at me, "Well that was weird and awesome." She was right.

To this day we joke that he was an actor I hired to impress Kat. Never saw the dude since. Definitely left an impact on me and taught me that when I do this music stuff, it isn't about me. I thought of that when I was putting Keep Doing together. I learned to stop fighting what these songs wanted to be, rather than worry about it being perceived like I'm trying to sound like this or that.

I am pushing this EP that isn't for everyone - while this time letting everyone else make that call instead of me doing so -because of those that pushed me. I sure hope Elijah finds it. Or maybe his name was Ezekiel?

#KeepDoing #KeepDoingEP #DaveHughesMusic #2018music#oaklandstories #oakland #rockridge

So far so good, but any success from this grassroots release campaign is entirely contingent on community keeping it going. If you dug Keep Doing, do me a solid and mention it on social media with either hashtag. It will go a long, long way for me.

#KeepDoingEP #davehughesmusic

Reviews don't hurt either. Even bad ones help it some (don't make me regret saying that). Cheers guys!

Pandora is fucked for a few weeks possibly. Once it gets going though, anyone who makes a station based off Spent or WO specifically, and then thumb me up and things that don't make sense down...I am told by my friend who is an analyst there that my shit will start popping up in tons of already developed stations. Will hit y'all up then.