DDT 5/21/21 Inaugural Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhalezB4Rarez

Migrant
Reaction score
This brewery eight minutes from my house started selling beer to the public today. Variety four packs. Neat to see a Red Ale. Makes me nostalgic for going to brewpubs like ten years ago.

B9F83781-9D85-4276-9332-B20CBF9FCA57.jpeg

E791184C-DBE6-4A76-BBD7-8FB89D00959E.jpeg

It is my "big beer" glass due to the shape, but the least I can do is retire it or shave the logo off. I have no affinity for the brand.

its a question I’ve pondered regarding the whole thing. Like, if one was a fan of a brand when the awfulness was going on and now that awful person is gone do you boycott the brand or still drink it? Guess it’s up to the individual. One of my favorite breweries has a lawsuit against them and the case is for firing an employee that got pregnant.

its a question I’ve pondered regarding the whole thing. Like, if one was a fan of a brand when the awfulness was going on and now that awful person is gone do you boycott the brand or still drink it? Guess it’s up to the individual. One of my favorite breweries has a lawsuit against them and the case is for firing an employee that got pregnant.

Yards?

I've wrestled with this question for years, too. In the industrial and metal worlds, you run into white supremacists and Nazis often enough that you have to make a call.

- If I've bought it already, do I keep it?
- Do I sell it used, such that one fewer person might buy it new and give money to the artist?
- Do I simply throw it away?
- Do I refuse to buy/listen to their stuff going forward?

The last one is the easiest to answer for me. I know people here generally hate boycotts, but your voice and power in this country is directly proportional to your spending ability. Actions should have consequences, and so I direct my spending away from people or places I don't like. No different than people deleting Facebook because they hate Zuckerberg, I won't spend money at places that treat employees badly.

Then that opens up the whataboutism. "This place treats people badly, too! Both sides!" I entertain that information if it's in good faith, and I'll stop spending there, too. But if they generally treat their employees well, I will continue to support them. A good sign to me is when turnover is low and there's an even, diverse mix of employees.

Then there's the question of redemption. Places did some bad **** before this all came out. What if they make an effort to change, should I reward that? I think I should, if it's real. The only way to get an insight into that is to talk to servers and bartenders more, to learn what changes are sticking.

In the case of TH, I don't think I've had their beers in years. The glass was probably an extra. I have no attachment to it.

Edit: food for thought

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/blake-baileys-unforgivable-incuriosity/618723/

Last edited:
Yards?

I've wrestled with this question for years, too. In the industrial and metal worlds, you run into white supremacists and Nazis often enough that you have to make a call.

- If I've bought it already, do I keep it?
- Do I sell it used, such that one fewer person might buy it new and give money to the artist?
- Do I simply throw it away?
- Do I refuse to buy/listen to their stuff going forward?

The last one is the easiest to answer for me. I know people here generally hate boycotts, but your voice and power in this country is directly proportional to your spending ability. Actions should have consequences, and so I direct my spending away from people or places I don't like. No different than people deleting Facebook because they hate Zuckerberg, I won't spend money at places that treat employees badly.

Then that opens up the whataboutism. "This place treats people badly, too! Both sides!" I entertain that information if it's in good faith, and I'll stop spending there, too. But if they generally treat their employees well, I will continue to support them. A good sign to me is when turnover is low and there's an even, diverse mix of employees.

Then there's the question of redemption. Places did some bad **** before this all came out. What if they make an effort to change, should I reward that? I think I should, if it's real. The only way to get an insight into that is to talk to servers and bartenders more, to learn what changes are sticking.

In the case of TH, I don't think I've had their beers in years. The glass was probably an extra. I have no attachment to it.

Edit: food for thought

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/blake-baileys-unforgivable-incuriosity/618723/

yup, Yards

Back