Wine Drinking Etiquette Question

Help Support Talkbeer:

Okay friends, I have a question maybe you guys can help me out with... we get together with our neighbors every couple of weeks and share drinks. Usually we are out in front of the house or at a local community park while the kids play.

My wife and another neighbor always bring out a bottle of wine. One of our neighbors always seems to forget or fail to bring any wine with her. She drinks glasses out of my wife's bottle as well as our other neighbor's.

Yesterday, she had a bottle of wine in her bag and watch my wife proceed to open two straight bottles. She had three glasses (she brought her own glass) from my wife's bottle without batting an eye.

This is starting to piss my wife off...thoughts? Suggestions?

Okay friends, I have a question maybe you guys can help me out with... we get together with our neighbors every couple of weeks and share drinks. Usually we are out in front of the house or at a local community park while the kids play.

My wife and another neighbor always bring out a bottle of wine. One of our neighbors always seems to forget or fail to bring any wine with her. She drinks glasses out of my wife's bottle as well as our other neighbor's.

Yesterday, she had a bottle of wine in her bag and watch my wife proceed to open two straight bottles. She had three glasses (she brought her own glass) from my wife's bottle without batting an eye.

This is starting to piss my wife off...thoughts? Suggestions?
Call her out or get new friends.

KevSal

Supremium Porter
option number one is calling her out,
"maybe some day we'll try one of your wines" lol

but since it's not your wife's style, yea i'd "forgot" to bring one too. although if they are super mooch be prepared to not drink wine that time lol

bringing her own glass is the final straw to let her have it tho, even in a very polite way.

i don't get people like that, if anyone would share something with me i'd immediately like to share something with them, especailly if i have something good

Last edited:
You could start asking about preferences and then plan what everyone is bringing the next time. Text or email in advance to see who's bringing what, you could tag it as not wanting duplicate offerings or something.

Or if you want to be sneaky about it, start bringing wine the neighbor doesn't like.
Bring some MD 20/20 and Thunderbird.

You could start asking about preferences and then plan what everyone is bringing the next time. Text or email in advance to see who's bringing what, you could tag it as not wanting duplicate offerings or something.
I think this might be the best strategy. Since it sounds like a planned gathering they could decide ahead of time for one person to bring a red, one a white, and one a rose, or everyone brings a Cabernet or something like that. That way it is set that everyone is showing up with something and it is expected to compare.

New glasses?

I feel your pain. Unfortunately, my wife has a couple of very cheap friends. After a few drinks, I always provide the subtle jab. I must be terrible at it as they still never bring anything. Just once, one bottle and I'd happily support the next many times. It's just the point.

Good luck with this battle that will never be won. Some people are born to be cheap.

New glasses?

I feel your pain. Unfortunately, my wife has a couple of very cheap friends. After a few drinks, I always provide the subtle jab. I must be terrible at it as they still never bring anything. Just once, one bottle and I'd happily support the next many times. It's just the point.

Good luck with this battle that will never be won. Some people are born to be cheap.
Snap, that's a bottle of Tizzy in the background. Very effective with Sprite mixer for laid back summer days.

Got a buddy that crooshes this regular

Latest posts