Excel Tips & Tricks ITT

Help Support Talkbeer:

I have 26,000 unique numbers in column A. Each number has a corresponding dollar figure in column b.

I am trying to format this into three columns of the number dollar combination for printing (so 6 columns of data). I would like the first page of the printed three column sheet to contain the highest dollar figure unique number combinations. Essentially, this means col A rows 1-50 are the biggest numbers, col C rows 1-50 are the next biggest, col E rows 1-50 the next, then shift back to col A rows 51-100 the next biggest because it starts the second printed page.

Is there a way to do this other than manually?
Excel isn’t Word. It doesn’t make “pages” like that. Just change your print layout instead of moving the columns.

Halp

I have a column with text separated by colons
Abcdef: ab: abc: abcd

I just want the first 2 sections
Abcdef: ab

Is there a good way to do this in a formula, I dont want to do text to columns and the squish them back together. I need it to be sustainable.

Halp

I have a column with text separated by colons
Abcdef: ab: abc: abcd

I just want the first 2 sections
Abcdef: ab

Is there a good way to do this in a formula, I dont want to do text to columns and the squish them back together. I need it to be sustainable.
A clever combo of left, right, search will get you there. Give me a few and I'll hammer it out

Dumb question- could this have been done text to columns using the colon as the delimiter?

Concatenate if desired on the back end to add the colon back in

Dumb question- could this have been done text to columns using the colon as the delimiter?

It could, but some strings have many colons, so i didn't want a bunch of loose columns floating around, and it'd be a pain to do on the regular

That assumes a static dataset that needs to be handled once. By using a formula it allows an algorithmic solution that can be applied automatically.

Text to columns function is pleb

Group Builder