US - Great Lakes FIB War Room

Help Support Talkbeer:

Chiming in to say that Rev's Deep Wood series is one of the explicit reasons my other BBA buying is down.

"$30 bomber of BBA stout? Fuck you - cans of Deth's Tar run $6.25 each and they're probably better than whatever this is."
Plus I walked in a week later (This last Saturday) and was still able to buy all the varieties of Deth's Tar from the release a week before.. Can't beat that.

beeraficionado

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Would it be fair to say that societies like Patron Sinners are the ideal avenues for these throwback beers: the kinds of things that still mean a lot to the old guard but probably wouldn't appear on the radar of the Hazebois or the Pastryarchy?beeraficionado, Lost Abbey needs to stay relevant with people who care about Lost Abbey and this is much more interesting that another Tracks Box retread.
For sure, with the exception being the hucksters who will join just in case Yellow Bus b2 is the next megawhale (it won't be). If they had chosen CCK, they would have gotten a lot of traders joining in the mere hopes of landing a valuable piece of trade bait, to flip for a pastry stout, to flip for a Pappy bottle, to eventually sell, then repeat the cycle.

There's still plenty of time, no?beeraficionado, Lost Abbey needs to stay relevant with people who care about Lost Abbey and this is much more interesting that another Tracks Box retread.
Yep, only need to pull one lever at a time and hopefully create a few new levers in the meantime. I wrote a blog post about this awhile ago: http://www.beercrunchers.com/blog-20/game-of-levers-pull-wisely
more interesting that another Tracks Box retread.
I think the Track Set is one of the most innovative projects for its time and am offended by this comment :(

Last edited:
Would it be fair to say that societies like Patron Sinners are the ideal avenues for these throwback beers: the kinds of things that still mean a lot to the old guard but probably wouldn't appear on the radar of the Hazebois or the Pastryarchy?

There's still plenty of time, no? While he's at it, couldn't Tomme revive some old Pizza Port-era stuff like SPF or Woody Brune?

And to clarify my stray thoughts: I don't consider this to be a "cheap ploy" by Lost Abbey to drum up interest in their brand. They make beer that a lot of people continue to enjoy despite no longer being on the bleeding edge of trends. To your point, beeraficionado, Lost Abbey needs to stay relevant with people who care about Lost Abbey and this is much more interesting that another Tracks Box retread.
i stopped buying lost abbey in bottles years ago because i didn't want to place a $17/375ml gamble on whether my bottle (which is expensive today but was REALLY expensive back then) was going to be flat or a gusher, and while they may or may not have fixed the issues in the small format bottles (have they?), their consistent quality issues back then made me completely swear off their non-draft product.

personally, i would personally love to see a correctly-carbed wider release of cuvee de tomme. if they made it, i would buy the shit out of it.

I drank someone else's collection as part of their big tasting so I kept mine for myself. Drank them slowly over the course of a year.
Can't say that was the wrong move.

Speaking of, can we agree that mega tastings are kinda bullshit? I'd wager that you were able to enjoy each beer on its own merits rather than each one being made utterly ordinary by virtue of stacking them against one another and experiencing them all through varying stages of palate exhaustion.

Speaking of, can we agree that mega tastings are kinda bullshit? I'd wager that you were able to enjoy each beer on its own merits rather than each one being made utterly ordinary by virtue of stacking them against one another and experiencing them all through varying stages of palate exhaustion.
One of my favorite beer memories is trying to race through the entire Vertical Epic series as fast as possible with Jason Allen while the rest of the room savored that garbage. 11 years in the making, a lot of money spent by someone acquiring 02.02.02, and I think we finished the whole lineup in under 20 minutes.

I enjoyed blowing my box set load all in one night and we had 10-12 additional Lost Abbey beers that night too. Fun to compare and contrast the box set beers with some of their other similar or remixed beers.

If anyone had the Fantome that was on at Maproom for Zwanze, the one we just put on at BT is VERY different.

The Hopleaf one was the super phenolic peppery version, this one is fruity with a touch of tartness. It's beautiful. Pours like a piece of shit of course.....

If anyone had the Fantome that was on at Maproom for Zwanze, the one we just put on at BT is VERY different.

The Hopleaf one was the super phenolic peppery version, this one is fruity with a touch of tartness. It's beautiful. Pours like a piece of shit of course.....
If someone complains that your keg of Fantome tastes different from another keg of Fantome, tell them that they are doing Fantome wrong.

Latest posts