US - Great Lakes FIB War Room

Help Support Talkbeer:

beeraficionado

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Would you say more, the same, or less SJ in distro as last year?

I need to know because I am going to try to buy all of it.
in the ballpark of last years quantity, but keep in mind we’re releasing it at a better time of year with the holidays and *all* of Winter still ahead ahead of us, so it might move a little faster than when it comes out in January.

I personally really liked prop 19. It's sweet, but I think it still works and the flavors meld. Cafe de Olla though is a weird hodge podge that just doesn't really come together. Was far and away my least favorite variant I tried at Prop day.

I personally really liked prop 19. It's sweet, but I think it still works and the flavors meld. Cafe de Olla though is a weird hodge podge that just doesn't really come together. Was far and away my least favorite variant I tried at Prop day.
Had it on draft at Prop Day and all I could taste was orange peel. Opened a bottle the next day and the coffee more of a presence (could simply be the temperature difference of 40F at Prop Day vs 68F room with the bottle). Either way, it's reminiscent of Midnight Orange but with coffee added

I had a ticket to the tasting session at Clybourn at 9am. Rolled up around 8:40, saw there was no line at Binnys and walked straight in and got a full allotment with no line. Then at the tasting session they gave you a Prop and a ticket which allowed you to buy a bottle of Double Barrel (for about $61 after tax).

No lines.

Saw plenty of people going through getting their 3rd or 4th allotments when I got there though. Not sure what you would do with that much BCBS...

I had a ticket to the tasting session at Clybourn at 9am. Rolled up around 8:40, saw there was no line at Binnys and walked straight in and got a full allotment with no line. Then at the tasting session they gave you a Prop and a ticket which allowed you to buy a bottle of Double Barrel (for about $61 after tax).

No lines.

Saw plenty of people going through getting their 3rd or 4th allotments when I got there though. Not sure what you would do with that much BCBS...
That’s about as good as it gets. Also saw Clybourn had VR on tap in the morning.

For me, after Prop Day and Fobab, no desire to go out at all. Mainly just felt it was (mostly) another set of duds, at least compared to 2014 and earlier. Each year have been chalking it up to just some experimental ones that missed. Now 3+ years running, not sure it will ever get back to that.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Bourbon County but I wasn't really not energized to wait in the cold for the "good" variants or willing to pay secondary, not that there's anywhere to do that business now locally.

As poorly thought out as the adjunct variants have sometimes been* I'm more worried that they plan to go further down this boring** barrel treatment path and we'll end up in 2020 with the hottest BA stouts of 2009, as if they were completely unaware that FiftyFifty Eclipse gathers dust at a significantly better price point (in $/fl.oz.) than the BCBS reserve stuff they're currently parading.

*I think the GI brain trust have done the thing that lots of well-meaning people do, that is, to conflate being boring with being sophisticated and being unintelligible with being clever. "Neapolitan Ice Cream BCBS would be stupid and childish. What's really cool is Luxardo cherries, candied pecans and mashed Anaheim chilies."

**I say boring not because barrel treatment BCBS is uninteresting, but rather that they don't have the guts to do anything meaningfully different than the base. They made an Ardbeg BCBS and ultimately wimped out on releasing it as BCBS. We're not going to see anything in package more adventurous than an EC11->EC12 "double barrel".

Latest posts