Quantcast

US - Great Lakes FIB War Room

Help Support Talkbeer:

Reactions: dan
Again, I'm not the biggest Apex fan outside of the fact that it's cheap and readily available. But Maranon... The yeast gives it a lemony thing to balance the sweetness. It tastes much lighter. Just a perfect beer. It's been a long time since I had any of the HF shelf saisons but this is as good as those and as good of a non-BA'd/mixed fermentation saison that exists in the world.
I very much like maranon and will purchase it regularly for $10 a 4pack. That being said it is nowhere near as good as shelf Hill Farmstead saisons.

beeraficionado

Premium Supporter
Contributor
The free six pack of Ghost Ride with my Mixed Berry Ryeway purchase was greatly appreciated today. Really love this easy pickup method.
It was even better for me since I came up on foot. I was asked if I wanted a case - I graciously accepted a sixer instead.
A rival site that will go unnamed, which I'm sure contains a lot of Kölsch experts, is unimpressed by Ghost Ride. Glad you found some enjoyment in yours.

vav

because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer
Contributor
If they're doing Sex on the Beaches then i also want Teaches of Peaches

vav

Contributor
btw, Windy City was fully absorbed by Chicago Beverage the other day.

Back story: like 8 years ago Chicago Beverage (Reyes Holdings beer distributor who not only does Miller but also Coors, Constellation, Heineken, Guinness as well as Boston Beer, Sierra Nevada, Revolution, Half Acre, lots of other stuff) bought into Windy City Distribution (craft distro mavericks, came outta Two Brothers and handle FFF, Lagunitas, Stone, North Coast, Metropolitan, yadda yadda)

Why it mattered then: CBS as part of "the cluster" (all the Miller houses) was and is a giant Miller house for Reyes, Windy was *the* king shit Craft/Artisinal wholesaler since forever. It eventually was gunna happen no matter what, but it's interesting to see regardless. Consolidation is good for big companies, so here we are.

What it means for you if you're a Bar, Restaurant or Liquor store: you'll probably see your salesperson go away at some point as they fuck around with staff, sales techniques etc. Honestly i'm super curious, Windy has always been *SO GOOD* at selling beer while CBS is good at taking orders, and that makes all the differencein the world.

What it means for you if you're a beer drinker: Windy has been quietly releasing brands/breweries/cider houses here and there for a little while now (which they needed to do anything, WAY too many supplies) so unless they find other distro houses, some folks may drop out of the market. Otherwise, it's wait'n'see....CBS is kinda notorious for killing SKU's so it may not effect you at all. Or, your favorite beer might suddenly only be available on draft between the months of Feb-March. So who knows.

vav

Contributor
ok so now Breakthru is selling their entire beer portfolio to Lakeshore Bev. This is weird for Spiteful probably, and several others. The bigger thing tho is that now that Windy City is being completely folded into CBS, options are slimmer than ever for distribution: If you're looking for a wholesaler, your choices are now:

Team Bud
Team Miller
Glunz, who could be poised to become big relevant again should brand choose to go there (more on that in a minute)
Team small-but poised to be in a good position for larger small-midsize breweries (that's Heartland, and a few in the 'burbs like Grant and Schaumberger)
or
Team Small Fry (AJ Maka, MSV, and me.)

That's more or less it.

Breweries are allowed a 30-day opt-out if they don't like the sale & can choose to go to another wholesaler within that timeframe. So i bet a bunch of folks are chewin' their nails right now.

beeraficionado

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Hey Pals - For those who don't follow my crap on the Instas, I'm doing a fundraising push for a project at Lurie Children's Hospital. In addition to a big raffle, there's experience-driven silent auctions and I thought next Monday's might be of interest to someone in here, or someone you know perhaps.

The winner (and a reasonable number of friends) get to collaborate with Mike Schallau and the Is / Was Brewing founders on a commercial saison release, helping to design the recipe, art direction, name, etc going through the entire process. You'd get your name on the label and hooked up with plenty of the beer too. He's also then going to donate a portion of the proceeds from its retail sales to the hospital as well.

Then the following week will be a silent auction for a Virtual Tasting with the Half Acre team, along with every release (x2) from 10/1 - 12/31, including the Benthic release.

Every cent of the winning bids will go to the hospital.

Latest posts