US - Great Lakes FIB War Room

Help Support Talkbeer:

danbanana do you live around that area? It's not an area I get out to all that often and was wondering what else we should have hit. I love Kinslahger.

We also stopped at Oak Park Brewing and while we liked the space and the appetizers we had - lemon pepper wings were legit and the jalapeno poppers were the spiciest poppers I've ever had - the beers were really bad. The English porter was downright undrinkable.

danbanana do you live around that area? It's not an area I get out to all that often and was wondering what else we should have hit. I love Kinslahger.

We also stopped at Oak Park Brewing and while we liked the space and the appetizers we had - lemon pepper wings were legit and the jalapeno poppers were the spiciest poppers I've ever had - the beers were really bad. The English porter was downright undrinkable.
Yeah I'm in Oak Park. I'm about a mile NW of One Lake. I would give them a ton of business but I really haven't loved their beer. That said, I was there for their opening and things definitely weren't up to snuff at that time. I hated Lando and haven't tried it since, but maybe kinks were worked out.

Kinslahger is great. Maybe not on the lager level of Dovetail but they're local, treat their people well, do delivery now, and are just good folks.

Oak Park Brewing is indeed not good.

Exit Strategy is worth a stop in the area, too.

Damn. I like Hop Butcher well enough but I don’t see myself getting up to Balmoral for limited releases. Good for everyone involved even though I’ll never get to a HA party in the Lincoln brewery now. Ah well.
(Link to media)
Not surprising that they are leaning fully into Balmoral. Lincoln was great, but the second they started serving food it was a royal pain to actually get seated with any group of more than 1. Also Lincoln had zero outdoor space, which we now know is more important than ever.

Good for Hop Butcher as well. That's a nice location that will be a nice stepping stone for them.

Looking for recs:

My wife and I are going to take an actual fucking vacation this weekend: a few days in Galena where we can do outdoor walking and just get the fuck away from kids for a while.

Any thoughts on breweries between the city and there? It looks like Penrose has gone all hype styles, and in general I'm not particularly interested in hazies or pastry stouts. I have heard Riverlands is good and it looks like that they have a couple WCIPAs available. Anything else, preferably along 90 or even further out west, that might be worth trying?

E: Also food recs?

Looking for recs:

My wife and I are going to take an actual fucking vacation this weekend: a few days in Galena where we can do outdoor walking and just get the fuck away from kids for a while.

Any thoughts on breweries between the city and there? It looks like Penrose has gone all hype styles, and in general I'm not particularly interested in hazies or pastry stouts. I have heard Riverlands is good and it looks like that they have a couple WCIPAs available. Anything else, preferably along 90 or even further out west, that might be worth trying?

E: Also food recs?
Art History Brewing in Geneva is great for traditional lagers. Really enjoyed both the Bavarian and Czech Pilsners. They also have a bitter on cask and a WCIPA.

Art History Brewing in Geneva is great for traditional lagers. Really enjoyed both the Bavarian and Czech Pilsners. They also have a bitter on cask and a WCIPA.
Oh nice. That's up my alley and it looks like they have a good selection of to-go stuff.

dan

I love to drink massive barrel-aged beers in the middle of summer:
SUMMERTIME DEEP WOOD RELEASE
Here is the news you've all been waiting for! Supermassive Café Deth and Strawberry Jacket join V.S.O.J. in the summertime Deep Wood Series release. Preorders will begin Tuesday, July 13th followed by the release the weekend of July 16-18. More details to come on the release, scheduled preview parties around town, and limited edition V.S.O.J. merch.

VSOJ isn't for me but I thought Strawberry Jacket was just delightful. Supermassive Cafe Deth is always a winner, too.

I love to drink massive barrel-aged beers in the middle of summer:
SUMMERTIME DEEP WOOD RELEASE
Here is the news you've all been waiting for! Supermassive Café Deth and Strawberry Jacket join V.S.O.J. in the summertime Deep Wood Series release. Preorders will begin Tuesday, July 13th followed by the release the weekend of July 16-18. More details to come on the release, scheduled preview parties around town, and limited edition V.S.O.J. merch.

VSOJ isn't for me but I thought Strawberry Jacket was just delightful. Supermassive Cafe Deth is always a winner, too.
The release of all three at once have me pondering the economics of a July weekend in Chicago. The Sox are in town too, it's been a while since I went there & booed the starting nine...

I've all but penciled it in on my calendar. My luck I'll strike out on them but I'm hoping not.

Reactions: dan

middlebrow

yr mouth is 4 eating tinfish & not talking IPA's
Contributor
View attachment 10840

VSOJ still 100% worth it at that price point
the question i have (is beeraficionado still around) is what triggers the points program presale link? I got one once, but never again. I spent like over 1K in pandemic bucks on pick ups every month, but never got the emails. was it 2k in pandemic dollars that needed to be spent?

the question i have (is beeraficionado still around) is what triggers the points program presale link? I got one once, but never again. I spent like over 1K in pandemic bucks on pick ups every month, but never got the emails. was it 2k in pandemic dollars that needed to be spent?
My email for Cuvee du grace went to my spam and I missed it. Maybe take a look in there? Fingers crossed I qualify for this one after not buying any CdG from them

Latest posts