Fieldwork Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly getting a few crowlers sent over this week (if a friend of a friend comes through... Ugh).. Stupid excited. Coconut milk DIPA is tops on my list, but what else should I be asking for since that sea salt grapefruit IPA doesn't seem to be on?

Eta: how much do they generally cost? Trying to be responsible over here (ha ha ha right)

Last edited:
Supposedly getting a few crowlers sent over this week (if a friend of a friend comes through... Ugh).. Stupid excited. Coconut milk DIPA is tops on my list, but what else should I be asking for since that sea salt grapefruit IPA doesn't seem to be on?

The Amarilloweisse and Mandarina Saison were both very good.

I visited for the first time yesterday. Great space and nice location. Lots of staff to help dog friendly and the Saison was really unique and good. Also never take the Gillman exit. Forgot what a cluster **** that can be.

What am I missing with this brewery? I've been 4-5 times wanting them to be as good as everyone says. All their beers taste pretty much just "OK" to me. The IPAs and pales are their best work, the doubles and triple are way too sweet for me, in a pretty unpleasant way. A majority of their flavored beers I find mostly undrinkable. The coffee stout was good, and the "weisse" series has been all right, but not better than something I could go pick up off a shelf locally. Yet I keep going back, because usually when this many people are excited about something they are right. But each time I bring a growler to fill and leave with it empty, wondering what the hype is about...

What am I missing with this brewery? I've been 4-5 times wanting them to be as good as everyone says. All their beers taste pretty much just "OK" to me. The IPAs and pales are their best work, the doubles and triple are way too sweet for me, in a pretty unpleasant way. A majority of their flavored beers I find mostly undrinkable. The coffee stout was good, and the "weisse" series has been all right, but not better than something I could go pick up off a shelf locally. Yet I keep going back, because usually when this many people are excited about something they are right. But each time I bring a growler to fill and leave with it empty, wondering what the hype is about...

Palate differences. Just because a lot of people like Alex's beer doesn't mean that everybody will. C'est la vie.

Ya'll create too many threads. ;)

Giant Fieldwork homer. Been a fan since day 0. Sat in on a few business planning meetings over a pour of Pupil in San Diego and c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶h̶i̶e̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶i̶o̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶. Owner's a jerk, brewer's unbearable. Terrible tasting room. I'll be there twice this weekend.

Ya'll create too many threads. ;)

Giant Fieldwork homer. Been a fan since day 0. Sat in on a few business planning meetings over a pour of Pupil in San Diego and c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶h̶i̶e̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶i̶o̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶. Owner's a jerk, brewer's unbearable. Terrible tasting room. I'll be there twice this weekend.

The Bay Area gang seems to like a little more compartmentalization than the San Diego free for all.

You'll be around, eh? I'll be busy and drunk on Saturday, but I probably should figure out when you will be around on Sunday. When Ben shows up, free beer seems to appear. LOL

Edit: I see that Friday is a key release. I may get there around 3 or 4 - BA Eliza will probably be gone, but perhaps it will still be up on tap?

Last edited:
I'll be there Sunday around opening. Plus lunchtime on Thursday or Friday

Serac bottle release sounds right up my alley.

12573881_1749789035239353_428673449249225420_n.jpg

Eta: how much do they generally cost? Trying to be responsible over here (ha ha ha right)
Their Crowlers are great. However they don't hold carb as well as I would have hoped. I got two last thursday and both were pretty much flat when I opened them on Friday (Still tasted great).

Although I don't think they're quite on par with Societe yet, their beers are generally solid. Great place to hang out, bring in food, great staff. I see a lot of potential.

Last edited:
Went there to meet tosh ~4 weeks ago. Pretty nice spot though I can imagine it getting packed at times if people like it as much as it sounds like.
Didn't have the chance to try any of the hoppy stuff, but I WILL be back. Had two beers, greatly preferred Amarilloweisse.

The Amarilloweisse was "Pretty good, lightly tart, lightly hoppy, drinkable, not complex."
20151229_133206_zpsvpxb2jp1.jpg

The Mandarina Tart Saison was wholly disappointing. It was "barely tart, very mandarin orangey, like a mix of juice and syrup."
20151229_135238_zpsgme1zsvh.jpg

tosh was pleasant but gif'd less in person and gifted more. Thanks for the pringles and beers mate.
hqdefault.jpg

I'll be back to try the hoppy stuff, and hopefully good tart beers.

Went there to meet tosh ~4 weeks ago. Pretty nice spot though I can imagine it getting packed at times if people like it as much as it sounds like.
Didn't have the chance to try any of the hoppy stuff, but I WILL be back. Had two beers, greatly preferred Amarilloweisse.

The Amarilloweisse was "Pretty good, lightly tart, lightly hoppy, drinkable, not complex."
20151229_133206_zpsvpxb2jp1.jpg

The Mandarina Tart Saison was wholly disappointing. It was "barely tart, very mandarin orangey, like a mix of juice and syrup."
20151229_135238_zpsgme1zsvh.jpg

tosh was pleasant but gif'd less in person and gifted more. Thanks for the pringles and beers mate.
hqdefault.jpg

I'll be back to try the hoppy stuff, and hopefully good tart beers.
Is that pic of me or you? Hard to tell to be honest.

c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶h̶i̶e̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶i̶o̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶. Owner's a jerk, brewer's unbearable. Terrible tasting room. I'll be there twice this weekend

Totally agreed. Good to see you last night!

Is anyone there yet today? Please tell me the line doesn't suck. Viking's Lament is so ****ing awesome.

Last edited:
Thanks to tosh , I got to try Coconut Milk DIPA. It almost verges on too sweet but I was able to drink quite a bit of it. ABV is very well masked. The coconut is a more forward than I thought it would be.

I had some Tuesday evening at a local watering spot, and had similar impressions.

Thanks to tosh , I got to try Coconut Milk DIPA. It almost verges on too sweet but I was able to drink quite a bit of it. ABV is very well masked. The coconut is a more forward than I thought it would be.

It was very coconuty, it really was.

Interested in your thoughts on Sea Farmer? 'cos it was very grapefruity for me.

Last edited:
Got to try their hot chocolate mexican export stout off nitro at ISOBeers today while I was killing time waiting for my flight back home.

I didn't get as much chocolate as I would have hoped but got a nice spice from it. Would put it really close to Abraxas, with abraxas having more chocolate and less spice than this one. Damn tasty. Stupid plane...only had time for one.

Interested I thoughts on Sea Farmer? 'cos it was very grapefruity for me.

I tried that one before at their beer dinner at O'Brien's. I remember liking it better at the dinner than this new batch that almost had a solvent like character to it. Not sure what is going on but it was still drinkable out on the golf course.

Went Sunday and got some bottles of Good Conduct, and a pour of both Good Conduct and Vikings Lament. Both were damn good.

However, ****ing Fieldwork. Get your dishwasher fixed or replaced. I had to send back two glasses that were covered in lipstick stains all around the edges, and everybody in my group had issues with their glasses also. C'mon man, it wasn't like they were barely noticeable lipstick stains either.

I don't know if this has been an issue for them the whole time, or just this weekend, but damn, we all got turned off pretty quick from our beer, but after a few mins, got over it.

Went Sunday and got some bottles of Good Conduct, and a pour of both Good Conduct and Vikings Lament. Both were damn good.

However, ****ing Fieldwork. Get your dishwasher fixed or replaced. I had to send back two glasses that were covered in lipstick stains all around the edges, and everybody in my group had issues with their glasses also. C'mon man, it wasn't like they were barely noticeable lipstick stains either.

I don't know if this has been an issue for them the whole time, or just this weekend, but damn, we all got turned off pretty quick from our beer, but after a few mins, got over it.
Did you get there early for bottles? I went on Saturday and they said all the bottles of Vikings Lament were spoken for before they even opened. I guess ppl started lining up around 830ish.

Did you get there early for bottles? I went on Saturday and they said all the bottles of Vikings Lament were spoken for before they even opened. I guess ppl started lining up around 830ish.

I got there around 9:00am on Sunday, was close to 20th in line or so. It looked like people who showed up just before opening on Sunday still got bottles, but barely I think.

I wonder how it will be this weekend with the sours now. I can't imagine striking out if people are there after 10am, but I don't know the bottle counts on these. 160 for both Saturday and Sunday for the Lament and Conductor.

Thursday morning bottle releases do not draw much of a crowd. Happy about that, bet tomorrow or Saturday won't be like this.

Thursday morning bottle releases do not draw much of a crowd. Happy about that, bet tomorrow or Saturday won't be like this.

Interesting, even in the midst of beer week. Bottles being released tomorrow and Saturday will generate the same crowds that started lining up at 8:30 am last week.

I actually don't think that most dishwashers used by breweries/tasting rooms have the ability to remove lipstick stains. I always thought most were light heated rinse and drying. Some of those lipsticks you need a damn power-sander to remove.

Back