Founders Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 305963

Reaction score
Figured I'd start up a thread for "all things Founders".

First topic on deck, a new beer from their Pilot System. From their FB page,

"The latest offering from our Pilot Brew System is now on tap!
*It's simply called, 'Smokey Porter', and is a robust porter utilizing smoked malts and clocking in at 7.7 ABV!"

http://foundersbrewing.com/whats-on-tap/

Love visiting the brewery. The people there are great and the one off beers are usually really tasty.

Backwoods should be hitting stores in your area soon, if it hasn't already, and starting Dec. 2, Sweet Repute will be released.

Picked up some Backwoods Bastard last week, had one over the weekend. I'm not sure if I like it more fresh and hot or aged and smooth. Either way, I love it.

I'll be in GR this weekend, looks like I'll have to pop by the brewpub for a pint of the smokey porter.

Can we assume that Sweet Repute is basically a rebrew of Nememis 09?

This was asked directly on the blog post on their website...the response:

"This is a new beer, though it may have inspiration from a beer or beers we’ve brewed in the past…"

So no, but yes. This is the first Backstage I've been looking forward to in quite awhile since I really enjoyed that 09.

This was asked directly on the blog post on their website...the response:

"This is a new beer, though it may have inspiration from a beer or beers we’ve brewed in the past…"

So no, but yes. This is the first Backstage I've been looking forward to in quite awhile since I really enjoyed that 09.

Agreed on the looking forward to part. I still have one 09 left that I'd like to do a side by side with for fun. I mean just based on the description alone it is very similar, but I obviously don't really know what malt bills and hops were used in either one so it could be a different recipe just brewed with the same process.

FYI, Founders posted on Facebook today that they have another shipment of KBS glasses on stock. Still for sale in their online store.

This is the first Backstage I've been looking forward to in quite awhile since I really enjoyed that 09.

I think they hit a lot of homeruns with their Backstage releases. I loved Better Half, Bolt Cutter, and Doom. Unfortunately, I never got to try the CBS or Blushing Monk, buy I hear they were really good.

Update on Founders 2014 availability:
http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2013/2014-availability-calendar/

A few highlights:
- Reds Rye IPA/Rubeaus/Breakfast become the new seasonals (4 months each)
- Imp Stout/Curmudgeon/Double Trouble/ TBD become the new special releases (3 months each)
- KBS/Devil Dancer/Harvest/Backwoods become the new Limited releases (1 month each)
- Pale and Oatmeal on nitro distro'd in kegs
- Backstage Series remains

I have it on trusted authority that the TBD release is an Imperial Black IPA. Presumably a double Artist Inspired. No I don't have sources, so take it for what you will. I may or may not gloat excessively if it turns out to be the case.

With Grand Moff on tap now, you might be on to something. They've also been tinkering with their Foreign Spy series of DIPAs, along with Mosaic Promise. Good times to be close to the taproom.

I have it on trusted authority that the TBD release is an Imperial Black IPA. Presumably a double Artist Inspired. No I don't have sources, so take it for what you will. I may or may not gloat excessively if it turns out to be the case.
I had Opening Night Black IPA at the brewery. Was supposed to be a double black IPA. Wasn't much different than the Inspired Artist.

IMG_20131123_125920_zpsbae83452.jpg

I guess Founders has a new Backwoods shirt, but when I asked for a picture (It's not on their online store), they never responded. I'll probably still buy it over the phone.

Announcement made today (6/16/14) by Founders regarding their next installment of the ArtPrize series of beers....

We’re excited to announce that we’re going to release Mosaic Promise, an ale brewed with a single malt and a single hop, this September. Proceeds from the sale of this new ale will benefit ArtPrize, the world’s largest art competition that takes place annually in Grand Rapids, Mich. Mosaic Promise will be sold in Michigan, Wisconsin, greater New York City and greater Chicago both on draft and in 12 oz. bottles with a suggested retail price of $9.99 per 6-pack.

http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2014/mosaic-promise-artprize-2014/

Mosaic_Promise-350x1000.png

Can we talk about how crazy it is that the Founders thread has practically the least amount of posts of any brewery thread on this forum? I mean, I get it because they've been making some pretty crappy Backstage beers, but just to think of the hype that they used to have even three years ago vs where they are now.

I wouldn't associate the "crappy" Backstage beers with inactivity in this thread.
thatslikeyouropinionman.gif

I liked a few of them and still think Founders puts out good stuff.

But they're old hat for a lot of folks and aren't the new and hip.
They've set the bar pretty high for themselves so its tough to live up the expectations of beer geeks anymore.

Back to new and hip.... sorry, but the few I've had from Tired Hands and Crooked Stave.... tripe compared to the hype.
thatslikeyouropinionman.gif

Sorry not trying to **** on Founders or anything. Still enjoy Breakfast Stout, Porter, Harvest, etc...but yeah just my opinion that the Backstage stuff has not been up to snuff for a year or two at this point.

I felt Sweet Repute was a very strong release for the Backstage...a few of the other most recent releases have left something to be desired.

Interested to see how the IPL is...

I'm assuming it's probably going good, but they'd have to cut the price point in half for me to even consider buying it. I'm just hoping it shows up locally on draft for a reasonable price and not something stupid like $9 for a 10 oz pour.

I'm assuming it's probably going good, but they'd have to cut the price point in half for me to even consider buying it. I'm just hoping it shows up locally on draft for a reasonable price and not something stupid like $9 for a 10 oz pour.
there was a founders tap takeover close to my house once i saw the prices of $9-10 for a snifter i didnt bother going. real depressing.
but sweet repute was delicious. a shame a traded my last bottle of it, was craving one last weekend. Smoked Porter was my least favorite by far.

Anyone going to founders fest? I remember someone saying it sucked last year...but I enjoyed it for what it was and I'm going again tomorrow.

Cheers fellas

New release announced by Founders today......

We announced today that we’ll be releasing Dark Penance, an Imperial Black IPA, as a specialty release this October 2014 with availability through the end of the year. It’s replacing the TBA in our availability calendar that many of you noticed when we published it late in 2013. Dark Penance will be available throughout our distribution footprint both on draft and in 12 oz. bottles with a suggested retail price of $11.99 per 4-pack.

Dark_Penance_email.png

Dark Penance is the newest addition to our lineup of world class IPAs, which includes Centennial IPA, Red’s Rye IPA, Double Trouble, Devil Dancer and All Day IPA, a session IPA.

“We don’t just add beers to our lineup to have something new on the shelves,” said Dave Engbers, co-founder and vice president of brand and education at Founders Brewing Co. “Our Backstage Series is for experimentation and keeping things fresh, and we still only put those out a few times a year. Dark Penance, on the other hand, went through many recipe iterations before we were willing to put it up there with the other beers that we release again and again, year after year.”

The recipe for Dark Penance took about a year to develop, time that was mostly spent perfecting the beer’s balance and hop profile. It’s the first new beer to be added to our lineup since All Day IPA, which was released in spring 2012 following three years of development.

Dark Penance starts with a heavy malt foundation of Crystal malt for sweetness and just enough Midnight Wheat to push the color to black. The bitterness is huge (100 IBUs huge), but balanced by malt sweetness and alcohol burn. The hop flavors and aromas range from citrus to floral to pine—most everything that hops can be—thanks to a delicious blend of hand-selected Chinook and Centennial hops. The Imperial Black IPA is 8.9% ABV.

“Black IPAs are becoming more common, but Imperial Black IPAs aren’t, and imperializing things is what we do,” said Brewmaster Jeremy Kosmicki. “Plus, we thought this beer would fit in well with our specialty lineup alongside Imperial Stout, Curmudgeon Old Ale and Double Trouble.” Dark Penance will be available as the follow up to Double Trouble in our specialty calendar, from roughly October to December, dependent on distributor shipments. It will be released in our taproom on draft and in bottles as of October 2014.

A little more news on Founders' next expansion

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-...ll_double_in_size_b.html#incart_river_default

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — If you thought Founders Brewing Co. had gotten big in the last couple years, wait until you see it next spring.

By May 2015, the Grand Rapids brewery plans to complete a $25 million expansion project that will double its beer-making capacity to 600,000 barrels.

The brewery is just a couple weeks away from deciding whether to build the new manufacturing space at its downtown facility or in another location around the Grand Rapids area, said CEO Mike Stevens.

A little more news on Founders' next expansion

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-...ll_double_in_size_b.html#incart_river_default

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — If you thought Founders Brewing Co. had gotten big in the last couple years, wait until you see it next spring.

By May 2015, the Grand Rapids brewery plans to complete a $25 million expansion project that will double its beer-making capacity to 600,000 barrels.

The brewery is just a couple weeks away from deciding whether to build the new manufacturing space at its downtown facility or in another location around the Grand Rapids area, said CEO Mike Stevens.

Does that mean... California?

Probably not.

Does that mean... California?

Probably not.

Sadly no. Founders ownership has said in the past that it just doesn't make financial sense to distribute to the west side of the Rockies due to cost. They would need to open a brewery out there, as Sierra Nevada did in NC.

Here's another article regarding this new expansion,

http://www.brewbound.com/news/2014/founders-brewing-looks-to-double-capacity-with-expansion

and a snippet from that article regarding going out west....

"One thing is certain: the company will not immediately look to build out of state.

“I think the western breweries look to build east because the eastern side of the U.S. is where most of the population and volume is,” said Stevens. “For us to look west doesn’t make much sense. If we ever get to the point where we are selling out west, I have to make sure that there is volume before we start building breweries.”

Sadly no. Founders ownership has said in the past that it just doesn't make financial sense to distribute to the west side of the Rockies due to cost. They would need to open a brewery out there, as Sierra Nevada did in NC.

Here's another article regarding this new expansion,

http://www.brewbound.com/news/2014/founders-brewing-looks-to-double-capacity-with-expansion

and a snippet from that article regarding going out west....

"One thing is certain: the company will not immediately look to build out of state.

“I think the western breweries look to build east because the eastern side of the U.S. is where most of the population and volume is,” said Stevens. “For us to look west doesn’t make much sense. If we ever get to the point where we are selling out west, I have to make sure that there is volume before we start building breweries.”

And yet, it's available in Europe!

So Dissenter has been released. I really enjoyed it. So let's start speculation as to the next Backstage. Anyone have any idea or guess as to what it might be?

So Dissenter has been released. I really enjoyed it. So let's start speculation as to the next Backstage. Anyone have any idea or guess as to what it might be?
My guess is that, whatever it is, it will lead to approximately 3,819 posts on BA, more or less evenly split between those who are super excited and those who are pissed it isn't CBS.

Recently went to founders. Every beer on tap I could buy at either Meijer or local bottle shop with ease basically 365 days a year. I do enjoy founders beer at but what drives ppl to go here? Other than their cars and founders great deli food? Was very disappointed with the list.

ArtPrize is starting up soon and I suspect they're holding back some beer for that. The entire downtown core of GR gets slammed for 2.5 weeks during ArtPrize. I had heard from one of the servers that Founders went through 115 kegs of Rubaeus in one month, if that's any indication of how hard its been for them to keep up with demand at the taproom this summer.

Back