GABF 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stupac2

Reaction score
Kinda surprised there's no thread about this yet. My wife and I are going out, visiting some old friends of ours. We're doing the Thursday session and Rare Beer on Friday. I'm definitely interested in other things to do, was hoping for some guidance on what other events/breweries/restaurants are cool. My wife and I will have our toddler (and our friends have a kid about the same age) so advice on cool Denver things to do with kids is welcome too!

Kinda surprised there's no thread about this yet. My wife and I are going out, visiting some old friends of ours. We're doing the Thursday session and Rare Beer on Friday. I'm definitely interested in other things to do, was hoping for some guidance on what other events/breweries/restaurants are cool. My wife and I will have our toddler (and our friends have a kid about the same age) so advice on cool Denver things to do with kids is welcome too!
Normally someone local posts a calendar with everything that is going on that week. I'll throw up the link if I see it.

Almost all breweries are kid friendly. With GABF happening a little earlier this year, a ride up in the mountains would be great with Fall colors.

What area of town you staying? Assuming you'll have a car? Kinds of food? Beer related food joints? Obviously tons of questions and based on answers we can offer different suggestions

What area of town you staying?
Uh... Lakewood? We're staying with friends so I'm going off what Google Maps says. (I see Casa Bonita on the map! Hide Butters!)
Assuming you'll have a car?
Yup!
Kinds of food?
Tasty!
Beer related food joints?
Sure!
Obviously tons of questions and based on answers we can offer different suggestions
Cool. Is there typically any kind of TB share? Could potentially escape for that if so.

Uh... Lakewood? We're staying with friends so I'm going off what Google Maps says. (I see Casa Bonita on the map! Hide Butters!)

Yup!

Tasty!

Sure!

Cool. Is there typically any kind of TB share? Could potentially escape for that if so.
Casa Bonita for the Colorado touristy thing to do? Sure.

I'll post as soon as I see the calendar to give you a better idea. But it's Denver Beer Week so places like Freshcraft, Hops and Pie and Falling Rock have great tappings during the week. I'm sure quite a few breweries are going to have releases that week. Cerebral, Weldwerks (about a 90 minute drive from Lakewood), Casey (if heading up to the mountains) and several others had releases that week last year.

Food: depending if you're looking for family stuff or a night out with the wife and don't mind spending more. Lets talk.

I know there is always some shares going on. I usually have family in town and I'm not against meeting strangers and opening great beers. I'm sure I'll get word of shares closer to the date.

VIP for Rare Beer or with the peasants during GA?

Casa Bonita for the Colorado touristy thing to do? Sure.
South Park reference. I have 0 interest in actually doing that.
Food: depending if you're looking for family stuff or a night out with the wife and don't mind spending more. Lets talk.
Both, potentially. We have Saturday night all to ourselves, other nights will be with our friends/kid.
I know there is always some shares going on. I usually have family in town and I'm not against meeting strangers and opening great beers. I'm sure I'll get word of shares closer to the date.
Cool, lmk. Have SARA will travel.
VIP for Rare Beer or with the peasants during GA?
Peasants :(. We waited too long to decide to do this to buy tickets, got them off a guy on BA.

It looks like there are events on the calendar now: https://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/info/week-events/

Anything worth doing?
Oh jesus. All that Geeks Who Drink.

Don't go to any of that **** is my advice.

http://fallingrocktaphouse.com/2018-gabf-week-events/

Check out the Falling Rock tap takeovers. They're packed, but they usually have the coolest takeovers. I'd check that GABF calendar a little closer to the event as I don't see a huge amount of takeovers. Freshcraft down the street from Falling Rock usually has a bunch of stuff going on as well.

I took this year off after going the last 4 years... needed a break from all the damn people.

Any advice? My knowledge of the Denver scene outside of, like, Crooked Stave and I guess Casey if that counts is minimal.
Falling Rock, freshcraft and Hops & Pie will have some great tappings during the week. All will be packed.

If you're looking for a food/beer pairing Euclid Hall does a great job of it.

Tons of stuff going on at a bunch of bars with tap takeovers the whole week. What time you looking to do stuff and I can list some other stuff out. Some local FB groups have some posts going with lists of stuff going on all week

Anyone in need of a Thurs GABF ticket, message me if so. Not going, and just want to sell at cost.

200.gif
Seemed fine last year. I was under the impression Saturday PM was the worst.

They made "a lot". Maybe head right up and get the leftovers :rolleyes:
hahah, yeah I saw that. I wish they would have just done a ticketed release. I am planning on going there Sunday but it wouldn't be a very fun time to try and rush out there and get back for the evening session. Flight lands at 11:40. Oh well, at least I pre-traded for an 18 mo.

Ha doing the same, no idea who they are but my GF is a big fan. I figured I will support her event if she supported mine haha.

Greensky is pretty dope... I’m by no means a bluegrass fan, but ended up at Winter Wondergrass in Steamboat last winter and really enjoyed their performance. They have a big sound and mix in some interesting covers, seque songs together, and you can actually dance to their music. It’ll seem less like you’re supporting your GF and more like ‘thanks for bringing me, behbeh’

Seemed fine last year. I was under the impression Saturday PM was the worst.
I don't know why but the members session always feels like it has a lot more people in it than the general sessions. At least in the past 4-5 GABFs I've gone to.

I don't know why but the members session always feels like it has a lot more people in it than the general sessions. At least in the past 4-5 GABFs I've gone to.
Same, that's why I've switched to the Thursday session in recent years. Saturday's member crowd is generally more "educated" on what beers to chase too so the hypey lines are a lot longer compared to the other sessions.

Same, that's why I've switched to the Thursday session in recent years. Saturday's member crowd is generally more "educated" on what beers to chase too so the hypey lines are a lot longer compared to the other sessions.
Huh, glad I didn't join to get that session, I figured it would be calmer. We're doing Thursday as well.

Huh, glad I didn't join to get that session, I figured it would be calmer. We're doing Thursday as well.
Don't get me wrong, Saturday member session is tight. It's probably the 2nd best session, but Thursday is where it's at in my experience. Plus, the fact that it hasn't even sold out yet makes it even more roomy.

Ha doing the same, no idea who they are but my GF is a big fan. I figured I will support her event if she supported mine haha.
They’re pretty fun as others have said. I’m not a super fan, but I dig them. I’m mostly going for the Red Rocks aspect, and I live in the NY/CT area.

Don't get me wrong, Saturday member session is tight. It's probably the 2nd best session, but Thursday is where it's at in my experience. Plus, the fact that it hasn't even sold out yet makes it even more roomy.
I’d agree with this. I’m doing those 2 and Friday. And rare beer on Friday.

Didn’t know about this. What are the details?

If it’s wednesday, I have the whole day and night open.
Weldwerks is releasing 2 versions of their Medianoche beer. Coconut and then 18year (no adjuncts). 2pp on each. Plus they will have a few things in cans.

Also, I may have a Rare Beer Tasting VIP ticket for trade for a GA and price difference if anyone is interested.

Back