• the show!

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • you mean the show is based on books?

Votes: 54 26.7%
  • they're both great

Votes: 73 36.1%

• Total voters
The ending was basically:

"Gee wiz guys, it turns out it wasn't about the Throne at all, it was about the friends we made along the way!"

Which is not really in keeping with the show at all.
Right-o. Secret alliances, backstabbing, and treachery are what the show is based upon and what made it so popular. No reason to not have at least some of that in the end.

I was fine with how everything ends although the episode itself just sucked. Lots of wasted time that served no purpose (watching Brienne right, Tyrion adjusting chairs, etc.) when they could have filled in story. There was a great opportunity to bring back some palace intrigue and vying for different outcomes among the houses and what the kingdom will be after all the carnage of this storyline. So many little things in the story that could have been added to make more sense out of everything.

Personally I think the story makes a little more sense with the houses agreeing that it was time to end the seven kingdoms brought to kneel beneath a Targaryen by the death of the last would be Targaryen ruler but I can live with this outcome.

Honest question, if you hated the ending what did you expect and want to happen?
My honest expectation for the "ending" based on the entirety of the series was:

a. X characters from the 7 (6) kingdoms remain alive.
b. Somehow through some begrudgingly desperate alliance a new king is chosen.
c. Immediate scheming/murder to remove the new king.

Fin.

Is the actual show ending closure? Should there be closure? Did someone actually win? I wasn't convinced by how the events in the final season unfolded that there was a realistic need to band together and protect the every day citizens of Westeros. The big bad threat that was supposed to end the world was eliminated, the X kingdoms were in chaos and a whole lot of Lords and Ladies needed to be replaced.

Seemed like the exact right time to kick off the "game" once again.

Last edited:
1.) The Night King destroying Westeros
I'd vote for this one. NK completely bypassing Winterfell and just showing up in KL, like, what, a day and a half later?

2.) Arya killing Cersei, peaceful transition of power in 7 Kingdoms
Transitioning to whom? Dany?

3.) Dany ending up on the throne
Well, she did, if only for a little while.

I'd vote for this one. NK completely bypassing Winterfell and just showing up in KL, like, what, a day and a half later?
I felt that would've been most in line with how the series consistently deferred to the least happy outcome. I actually would've been really happy with that. Especially if after everyone died and the screen was going black, they flashed "Eat Arby's".

Transitioning to whom? Dany?
Ya, fuck Sansa.

Well, she did, if only for a little while.
Never physically sat on it

I felt that would've been most in line with how the series consistently deferred to the least happy outcome. I actually would've been really happy with that. Especially if after everyone died and the screen was going black, they flashed "Eat Arby's".

Ya, fuck Sansa.

Never physically sat on it
I feel like the series DID end up deferring to the least happy outcome. Look at all of us bitching.

Ending was good. Not sure what more you could expect. No way the writers could live up to expectations. I think they did a good enough job tying a lot up, providing a few shock/surprises and ending it kinda happy but also open ended.

Although I was fully expecting a final scene with a crop circle of bodies when Jon went north of the wall, or something to signify the NK/Whitewalker storyline wasn’t completely dead. Although that would be a bit too cheesy/obvious.

I was fine with how everything ends although the episode itself just sucked. Lots of wasted time that served no purpose (watching Brienne right, Tyrion adjusting chairs, etc.) when they could have filled in story. There was a great opportunity to bring back some palace intrigue and vying for different outcomes among the houses and what the kingdom will be after all the carnage of this storyline. So many little things in the story that could have been added to make more sense out of everything.

Personally I think the story makes a little more sense with the houses agreeing that it was time to end the seven kingdoms brought to kneel beneath a Targaryen by the death of the last would be Targaryen ruler but I can live with this outcome.
I thought the Brienne scene was great and necessary. She got closure by filling in Jamie's King's Guard page and he did as well in a round about way. Yeah his character arc was botched this season but this was one of the best final touches out all the characters.

Ending was good. Not sure what more you could expect. No way the writers could live up to expectations. I think they did a good enough job tying a lot up, providing a few shock/surprises and ending it kinda happy but also open ended.
I find that very rarely should a good ending have everything tediously explained to the viewer nor should it leave everyone in a good place.

Curious as to which surprises you liked, though.

Latest posts