Votes: 50 24.8%
  • the show!

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • you mean the show is based on books?

Votes: 54 26.7%
  • they're both great

Votes: 73 36.1%

• Total voters
This would have actually been everything I could have hoped for. Would've given that ending a standing ovation.

Also got a total Jedi council vibe when they were choosing the next king. Was hoping instead of, "Why do you think I came all this way?" or whatever Bran would've just said "King I will be"

Last edited:
Honest question, if you hated the ending what did you expect and want to happen?
I think this question is always unfair.

We're not writers, we're consumers. When you create a great, layered show with magic, action, and so many threads, the consumers expect to be impressed with how all of that pays off. To end on such a whimper should leave consumers unwhelmed because the prior work of the creators built an expectation.

What would I want? How about something that brings the magic (Jon is a Targareon: fireproof,) politics (Sansa, Tyrion, etc) and action together in a way that would leave people saying "I didn't see that coming, but it works given the passed seasons."

Bottom line though is it's not our jobs to make something that most people think ends on a positive, but it looks like those whose job it is didn't quite nail it.

I think this question is always unfair.

We're not writers, we're consumers. When you create a great, layered show with magic, action, and so many threads, the consumers expect to be impressed with how all of that pays off. To end on such a whimper should leave consumers unwhelmed because the prior work of the creators built an expectation.

What would I want? How about something that brings the magic (Jon is a Targareon: fireproof,) politics (Sansa, Tyrion, etc) and action together in a way that would leave people saying "I didn't see that coming, but it works given the passed seasons."

Bottom line though is it's not our jobs to make something that most people think ends on a positive, but it looks like those whose job it is didn't quite nail it.
It depends what you wanted from the show too because those who were invested in what the show was doing politically and as a narrative experiment on the nature of power might want something different from those more invested in the magic/myth/prophecy, or those who saw it all as a big climate change metaphor vs people who just liked the realistic character development... The show worked on all these levels for a long time but it was unlikely to ever be able to fully satisfy all those threads and we had to be prepared for that of course. The problem is it didn’t end in a way that satisfies any of those threads.

I think an ending that has Dany winning and consolidating her rule by making some brutal (but calculated, not insane or delusional) decisions that shock all the moralizer dudes around her and presumably the audience too, likely including having Jon and/or Tyrion executed, works on a lot of levels. It’s the obvious ending on one level but also in a way that isn’t expected; it’s bleak, not happy, and stays true to the themes of the brutal nature of power; it’s actually subversive in the sense of building audience expectations around this liberator character and then throwing it in our faces when we get what we want that it was never what we should have wanted. It gives all the major characters room to end their stories in a way true to character development.

This isn’t so different from the actual ending except that they made Dany’s arc this abrupt change and pinned on messianic madness, rather than making it a logical outcome of where she’s come from and been going; and then they have the boring good guy kill her followed by a reactionary restoration of the monarchy which feels like it throws out everything the show and its audience learned along the way about the consequences of actions and how power works etc. All very dull and Lord of the Ringsish.

For a more magic centered ending hey also could have had the big battle in the north play a much more final role, being the showdown between fire and ice where both lose (Dany and dragons and White Walkers all dying) and humanity is left to pick up the scraps.

Last edited:
The thing I really like in a big-picture way is that a reluctant leader, Bran, also chose an advisor who didn't want it and has made mistakes before.

Those in power shouldn't want it, but they should be the ones who are best suited for it. I think they got that little thing right.
Why does a leader who know's everything need any kind of advisors? He's going to be a lazy fuck king. He ducks out of the meeting to "look for fucking Drogon" and just leaves all the work to them.

Why does a leader who know's everything need any kind of advisors? He's going to be a lazy fuck king. He ducks out of the meeting to "look for fucking Drogon" and just leaves all the work to them.
He made it clear he wanted Tyrion to work the rest of his life fixing his mistakes.

Also he needs those positions so the structure is passed on. The next King won't be able to be the three eyed Raven necessarily.

So the Children of the Forest lived in Westeros before the First Men came. The First Men eventually become hostile to the Children. The Children create the White Walkers to protect themselves. The White Walkers are a threat to all life in Westeros.

"I'm going to go colonize new lands, what's the worse that could happen?" - Arya

That or he is already consolidating power. He is a powerful warg.

It’s ambiguous what he plans to do with said dragon once he finds Drogon, but there is an independent North and then there is Mereen. Maybe his plan is to keep Daario and Mereen in line before they can avenge Dany. The war and fighting isn’t over. It’s just a temporary respite.

That or he is already consolidating power. He is a powerful warg.

It’s ambiguous what he plans to do with said dragon once he finds Drogon, but there is an independent North and then there is Mereen. Maybe his plan is to keep Daario and Mereen in line before they can avenge Dany. The war and fighting isn’t over. It’s just a temporary respite.
I think you're giving those shitty writers too much credit with this. Competent writers maybe would have intended this but thos3 clowns I'm not so sure.

Latest posts