Germany circuit (q: Hamburg vs Copenhagen)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 306926

Reaction score
Getting the itinerary set for a trip to Bavaria (work related) in early March.

Going to spend time bookending the necessary stuff with a bit of sight seeing.
Since we have to be in the Regensburg area (which is pretty great in its own right) I'd love to hit Innsbruck which is a few hrs by train, but also want to do Neuschwanstein because fairytales, etc.
Gotta figure all that out and I'm sure several beers to be had (for other threads).

At the tail end we'll be in Flensburg and debating Hamburg (2hrs) vs Copenhagen (5hrs).
Visited CPH this past spring and loved the city, but never visited Hamburg.
I'll be travelling with a couple colleagues.

Thoughts on which to do? Food/drinks/culture/history/vibe?

Obviously CPH food is world class. Beer scene is too.
The rest is bonus material. Heavily leaning towards CPH again. Talk me out of it.

Definitely hit bamberg as was suggested.

I love Copenhagen, but Hamburg is probably my favorite city in Germany, and since you haven’t been...

I’ll say what is obvious, it depends what you’re looking to do. For beer and super highly rated restaurants Copenhagen definitely has the edge, by far, but Hamburg is a fun city, really pretty and plenty of history.

Definitely hit bamberg as was suggested.

I love Copenhagen, but Hamburg is probably my favorite city in Germany, and since you haven’t been...

I’ll say what is obvious, it depends what you’re looking to do. For beer and super highly rated restaurants Copenhagen definitely has the edge, by far, but Hamburg is a fun city, really pretty and plenty of history.
Cool cool.
CPH is out. Hamburg is in.

We may have a free day mid week between work in Regensburg and before work in Flensburg.
Debating stopping in Nuremburg or Bamberg, or possibly Hanover.
I hear the recommendations for Bamberg. Thoughts on the other two?

Cool cool.
CPH is out. Hamburg is in.

We may have a free day mid week between work in Regensburg and before work in Flensburg.
Debating stopping in Nuremburg or Bamberg, or possibly Hanover.
I hear the recommendations for Bamberg. Thoughts on the other two?

Bamberg and it’s not even close.

Nuremberg is pretty and has history, Hanover is worthless, and Bamberg is small, beautiful, and has just an amazing beer culture.

Bamberg and it’s not even close.

Nuremberg is pretty and has history, Hanover is worthless, and Bamberg is small, beautiful, and has just an amazing beer culture.
Yasssss.... thank you, bud. This is why TalkBeer is my number one source for beer travel info.

I lived in Germany for a little while and I would ask the locals what their favorite German city was (besides their home town of course). It was 1 and 1A between Berlin and Hamburg. I never did make it to Hamburg, though.

OP - I've never been to Regensburg, either, but I've had Kneitinger's Dunkel and Pils and love them both. Be on the lookout for Brauerei Eck's Wilderer Dunkel, which I also thought was delicious.

Flensburger never appealed to me, YMMV. Don't drink the Astra and REALLY don't drink the Astra Rotlicht.

Would try to talk you out of Neuschwanstein too. Picturesque, yes absolutely, but from a distance. Partially under reno, small, crowded, not much to see when on site...all the disappoints and way overrated, IMO. Recommend Hohenzollern Castle or even something like Lichtenstein Castle instead, if Neuschwanstein somehow isn't a lock for you.

Would try to talk you out of Neuschwanstein too. Picturesque, yes absolutely, but from a distance. Partially under reno, small, crowded, not much to see when on site...all the disappoints and way overrated, IMO. Recommend Hohenzollern Castle or even something like Lichtenstein Castle instead, if Neuschwanstein somehow isn't a lock for you.
Well put!!!

Not a lock. But I’m travelling with colleagues so I have to consider their preferences. I also want to do Zugspitze and Innsbruck so Neuschwanstein isn’t a huge out of the way stop.

Back