US - Great Lakes Great Taste of the Midwest

Help Support Talkbeer:

I got to Vintage around 10 PM and we did go up with our friends who were closer. I understand that's a gray area. But we were going to be sitting there for a good 14 more hours at that point.

Sat out, bottle shared, and chilled till about 2 AM.

I slept in my car from about 2 till 630 AM.

Enjoyed some beers in line again until about 10 AM when we went inside for Man U / Arsenal and more coffee.

Vintage was pretty overwhelming (our first year there) compared to past experiences at Steve's Junction.

I got to Vintage around 10 PM and we did go up with our friends who were closer. I understand that's a gray area. But we were going to be sitting there for a good 14 more hours at that point.

Sat out, bottle shared, and chilled till about 2 AM.
Cool. No issue with that.

I slept in my car from about 2 till 630 AM.
Curious if people think this is kosher. I think I'm ok with it, but getting sketchier.

Would you be cool with me putting a chair out at midnight, then showing back up at 6 after going home to sleep? What makes that not ok, the time? Me leaving the line? How far do I have to go to actually leave line? How much time out of the line disqualifies me?

Last edited:
Cool. No issue with that.

Curious if people think this is kosher. I think I'm ok with it, but getting sketchier.

Would you be cool with me putting a chair out at midnight, then showing back up at 6 after going home to sleep? What makes that not ok, the time? Me leaving the line? How far do I have to go to actually leave line? How much time out of the line disqualifies me?
I wouldn't mind an hour or maybe even two in the car to warm up if it's cold. I don't know how you would tell between Alum's scenario and someone plopping a chair down and going back to a hotel for 5 hours, though. Again, there's no way to enforce any of this.

Edit: Alum isn't a shitheel, so I know he's not going to screw anyone over. I can't say I trust most of humanity to do the same.

That's the issue right? Honestly, its been my experience that people on this site aren't dickwads, and most people in beer aren't either.

Nowadays, you just have to build in a certain amount of asshats into any beer equation. And that sucks.

I wouldn't mind an hour or maybe even two in the car to warm up if it's cold. I don't know how you would tell between Alum's scenario and someone plopping a chair down and going back to a hotel for 5 hours, though. Again, there's no way to enforce any of this.

Edit: Alum isn't a shitheel, so I know he's not going to screw anyone over. I can't say I trust most of humanity to do the same.
I'll screw Frank over at any chance he gives me, fwiw.

for me the baseline is that one should establish themselves in line until after sun-up anyways. let people see your face, make it known that this is your spot in the line.

if you do that and want to duck out for breakfast, grab a nap, whatever.. no big deal. when you come back people will know where you belong.

what irks me is when one or two people set out chairs and then 10-15 of their friends slowly trickle in over the course of the rest of the morning.

hell, at least make it inconspicuous if that's the plan. don't start with 2 chairs and wind up with a big green egg, 2 card tables, a pair of 16" subs bumping techno, a footbath and 12 double-wide chairs spilling out in to the street.

And the whole thing of -- oh you can find day-of tix outside the gates from someone...that died like 3 years ago, right?

And the whole thing of -- oh you can find day-of tix outside the gates from someone...that died like 3 years ago, right?
I can't speak to it as a general trend... but I got in early last year and ended up selling my ticket for less than face outside the gates. There were several people trying unsuccessfully to sell tickets at face value and I wanted to get my ass back inside for those pre-GA pours. Have faith!

Also, I heard there were only 190 people at Wine and Hop Shop at 10AM. On the flip side, I heard the first person in line at Steve's got there at 10:30PM.

I can't speak to it as a general trend... but I got in early last year and ended up selling my ticket for less than face outside the gates. There were several people trying unsuccessfully to sell tickets at face value and I wanted to get my ass back inside for those pre-GA pours. Have faith!

Also, I heard there were only 190 people at Wine and Hop Shop at 10AM. On the flip side, I heard the first person in line at Steve's got there at 10:30PM.
First people at Vintage got there on Friday afternoon....

Why? Because they're idiots.

The line at Vintage filled up much faster this year. We've showed up around 4-5 PM (this is our third year at Vintage after a long stretch at Steve's) & we were 70th in line rather than in the 20-25 range. The people who were about where we usually were showed up at 11 AM. The last people who got tickets showed up at 6 AM.

FWIW, if there was any line-cutting up front at Vintage, it was minimal. I estimated we were 50-60 (just eyeballing since I didn't really care) back & our wristbands were 68-71. Not far behind us, the line morphed into what appeared to be a rubgy scrum.

The line at Vintage filled up much faster this year. We've showed up around 4-5 PM (this is our third year at Vintage after a long stretch at Steve's) & we were 70th in line rather than in the 20-25 range. The people who were about where we usually were showed up at 11 AM. The last people who got tickets showed up at 6 AM.

FWIW, if there was any line-cutting up front at Vintage, it was minimal. I estimated we were 50-60 (just eyeballing since I didn't really care) back & our wristbands were 68-71. Not far behind us, the line morphed into what appeared to be a rubgy scrum.
There was DEFINITELY cutting at Vintage. Probably between you and the end of the line. Unless there actually were 7 people sleeping inside a 4 person max tents.

I think #200 showed up at 5 am. Not sure how many people actually got tickets though.

There was DEFINITELY cutting at Vintage. Probably between you and the end of the line. Unless there actually were 7 people sleeping inside a 4 person max tents.

I think #200 showed up at 5 am. Not sure how many people actually got tickets though.
Yeah, sorry, I meant "there was minimal if any cutting in front of us", not none at all. Wasn't paying any attention to the plebians behind us.

They didn't put up the yellow police-style tap to keep the snaking line in place either like previous years, which I was concerned about even further up. In other 'lines' I've noticed that there tends to be less cutting up front where the hard-core congregate, & more towards the mid-back where the less dedicated (or stupid, idiotic, moronic, choose your word) show up.

I talked to the last guys in line with wristbands & they said they arrived just before 6AM. I did see a few unwristbanded folks come later & stand in line, I assume in hopes there was a leftover or two. Seemed awfully optimistic to me.

Group Builder