Great Taste of the Midwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regards to your actual comments though..

Real Ale Tent has been fairly hew mew over the last few years.

Always looked forward to Surly's casks and anything wild in the past. Those sorts of things seem to be absent nowadays.

I might have a ticket but won't know for a couple days yet. I'll be sure to message you when I do know.

Bells is throwing the f$#* down.

Last edited:
I'm still looking for a couple tickets as well. I have a hotel and will be there regardless, but would prefer to find tickets without scalping the day off....

Few new beers (including a new Wild) from Une Annee for those whose interest has been piqued by their membership offer of late..

I know last year they indicated which beers were special tappings. Wonder why they left that out. Anyway, Dangerous Man and Right Brain sound fun.

In regards to your actual comments though..

Real Ale Tent has been fairly hew mew over the last few years.

Always looked forward to Surly's casks and anything wild in the past. Those sorts of things seem to be absent nowadays.

I might have a ticket but won't know for a couple days yet. I'll be sure to message you when I do know.

Bells is throwing the f$#* down.
Double Two Hearted?!?

I was more referring to all their early Thousand Batch Series offerings.

I imagine those might be rebrews for their 30th Anniversary Party in Sept?
Oh those are nice too, but I'd be smashing DTH all day.

Any little/lesser known IPAs (or doubles) that are worth checking out? Going to be all over that Todd the Axe Man firkin otherwise.

I hope the guys behind the Goose Island table area as smashed as they were last year.. those were some big pours of Sofie and Matilda

Im hoping to be shirtless by mid afternoon. That being said. I haven't really looked at the list. The cherry cafe deth sounds good. None the less I always seem to stop at the up and comers every year while people get stabbed for a pour of morning delight of abraxas. Also who had 1 for the amount of BADL's three floyds was bringing? Bring all to Firestone walker 1 to GTMW makes sense.

Looks like Pasta and I are looking for someone with a hotel and an open bed/floorspace for Saturday night.

So what is everyone looking forward to trying this year? What are the hidden gems?

I always try a few offerings from Bling Big Brewery out of Urbana Champaign, and usually they have a few killer beers on. I want to try the Bells stuff but I've heard it might have been rebrewed for the 30th Anniversary, and the above mentioned Chicagoland brewery that isn't pouring BCS.

Also go harass LT at the Imperial Oak booth in the afternoon as he will be pouring for a couple of hours.

For anyone not local to madison, I can't recommend a beer at the union terrace highly enough. I'm a badger and biased but they have a nice little selection of wisconsin craft and amazing setting.

Also, please do yourself a favor and eat paul's pel'meni.

I always try a few offerings from Bling Big Brewery out of Urbana Champaign

Saw this and got excited for a new brewery to check out when I go visit my parents, but then realized you meant Blind Pig, and was slightly disappointed. But I don't think beer by a brewery named Bling Big would be very good.

26k9Td7.gif

Saw this and got excited for a new brewery to check out when I go visit my parents, but then realized you meant Blind Pig, and was slightly disappointed. But I don't think beer by a brewery named Bling Big would be very good.

26k9Td7.gif

I accept full responsibility for your disappointment and my terrible spell checking.

Only 42 minutes until the weekend for this guy and I'm fading fast...

Some of the stuff I'm eyeing:

CW Call Me Old Fashion
CW Black Gold
CW La Naranja
Capital Vacation Request
Brugge Hope and Dreams
Bells Lavender Saison
Bells Double Two Hearted
Door County Grisette
Door County L'Hiver
Free State Chili Mac
Fulton 300
Indeed Wooden Soul
JP Clementina
Lagunitas Chicago Fusion
Metropolitan Riggens Altbier
NG 4B
O'so ________
Off Color ****ing everything
One Barrel Super Special Secret #1
Penrose Wild 10 w/ tart cherries
Rev Cherry Cafe Deth
Rochester Hills Blueberry Pancake Milkshake Stout
Short's Thai Coconut Oatmeal Cookie
Sweet Mullets EVERYTHING
Transient BB Henry
Une Annee Le Seul I
White Winter Bold & Snappy
Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter
Zwanzig Cucumber Lime Kolsch

Some of the stuff I'm eyeing:

CW Call Me Old Fashion
CW Black Gold
CW La Naranja
Capital Vacation Request
Brugge Hope and Dreams
Bells Lavender Saison
Bells Double Two Hearted
Door County Grisette
Door County L'Hiver
Free State Chili Mac
Fulton 300
Indeed Wooden Soul
JP Clementina
Lagunitas Chicago Fusion
Metropolitan Riggens Altbier
NG 4B
O'so ________
Off Color ****ing everything
One Barrel Super Special Secret #1
Penrose Wild 10 w/ tart cherries
Rev Cherry Cafe Deth
Rochester Hills Blueberry Pancake Milkshake Stout
Short's Thai Coconut Oatmeal Cookie
Sweet Mullets EVERYTHING
Transient BB Henry
Une Annee Le Seul I
White Winter Bold & Snappy
Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter
Zwanzig Cucumber Lime Kolsch

I'll probably copy your list and/or follow you around.

I'll probably find the mead area and camp out for a half hour.

For anyone not local to madison, I can't recommend a beer at the union terrace highly enough. I'm a badger and biased but they have a nice little selection of wisconsin craft and amazing setting.

Also, please do yourself a favor and eat paul's pel'meni.

Paul's is the best. If your don't eat there, you're the worst.

****ing line cutters at dexters. ******** the lot of you.

Curious as to others' thoughts, but this MD fell quite a bit short of how I remembered it. Granted it has been a few years, but I thought was essentially a better FBS.

Back