US - Great Lakes Guide to Milwaukee

Help Support Talkbeer:

Interesting. This is in Stonefly's old location. Only went to Stonefly once. Was not impressed. I assume they are not affiliated.
No affiliation. Was initially 50/50 owned by owner of Bavette and ex-director of coffee at Collectivo. Collectivo dude is now the brewer at company brewing. The food was going to be supervised by owner of Bavette (great place) but she had to back out because of some weird law that says since she had liquor license at bavette she couldn't be partial owner of brewery.

Last edited:
The Malt Shoppe in Wauwatosa is becoming a fast favorite bottle shop for me. Nearly everything is available as singles. The IPAs are stored in cooler (but w/ singles - still have to watch bottle dates) There are 30 taps (will growler fills on most) so you can drink as you peruse the selection.

Hey guys, I'm coming back to the motherland in a few weeks (I live in Florida now....) and was wondering if there are any new must hit places that have opened in the past couple of years. I haven't been back since my wife was pregnant maybe 3 years ago.

Thanks and Cheers!

We've had a rash of new breweries in Milwaukee of late that all seem to be producing good beer.

Third Space
Good City
Like Minds
Raised Grain (Waukesha)

I thought City Lights' beer was middling at best, but they have a cool space, and you can park there for free and take a shuttle to Miller Park on game days.

I'm sure I'm missing some others.

What they said above.

Third Space and Good City should be on your list. Also Black Husky if you like hops.

Pass on City Lights, Mobcraft, Fermentorium and Broken Bat.

New restaurants with good food and good beer lists: Camino, Vanguard, Doc's Commerce BBQ.

Thanks for the quick responses! I am super excited to get out of this heat and try some new breweries up there. I've been to most of the usual suspects a few times and was looking to Branch out.

Edit : I'll be hitting the Milwaukee/Madison/Janesville triad with a couple days in each. I'm going to be at Chilimania in Edgerton if anyone else is going I'm down to bring some FL stouts to share.

Last edited:
Nothing from Third Space? For shame. You can get tall cans of Happy Place at Brewers games. And I find their space in the Menominee Valley to be the most inviting of any on my list. Although I haven't been to Raised Grain - they might as well be in Iowa as far as I'm concerned.
been a few months since i've been in Milwaukee. i will be out at Songbird golfing in a couple weeks, though.

anywhere out near there (or off 41) that carries Third Space?

Close to 41 Woodman's in Men. Falls will be your best bet. They always seem to have something from Third in stock.
that's near the office i work out of when i have to be in Milwaukee (adjacent)

guess i'll have to make a point of checking the shelves a little more closely next time

Latest posts