Haarlem (Netherlands)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoudreGuy

Reaction score
So I'm heading to Morocco later this month and on the way home to Seattle my wife, daughter and I have an overnight layover at Schipol. We're staying across from the airport at a hotel, so we'll have an evening to catch a train, walk around, eat dinner and hopefully a beer or two. We're pretty familiar with The Netherlands from previous time spent there, and we love Haarlem. It's more compact and easier to do in a few hours as opposed to Amsterdam (De Pijp is our favorite neighborhood in Amsterdam, which is a bit of a trek from Centraal Station) Never looked for beer in Haarlem before, but it looks like Jopenkirk and Uiltje Bar are good central options. Anything else I'm missing? Good beers from either brewery I should try? We probably won't get into Haarlem until 6 or 7pm, which is after the bottle shops close, so whatever I can get to go at Uiltje or Jopen and share with friends back home is good enough for me.

Jopen has a beautiful brewery but I'm not impressed by their beer very often. I'd recommend to get a couple beers there but don't stay all night, nothing too interesting to drink.
Uiltje bar is super small but the tap list is usually one of the best in the country. Their IPA's and stouts can be great, I've had a few **** ones but you're mostly good there. Good guest beers on tap and a solid lambic selection

METSBWD anything to add?

Jopen has a beautiful brewery but I'm not impressed by their beer very often. I'd recommend to get a couple beers there but don't stay all night, nothing too interesting to drink.
Uiltje bar is super small but the tap list is usually one of the best in the country. Their IPA's and stouts can be great, I've had a few **** ones but you're mostly good there. Good guest beers on tap and a solid lambic selection

The last time I was in Europe (Brussels, Amsterdam and all over Spain) my daughter was welcome everywhere (BierCab, Moeder Lambic, etc.). She probably had more fun at Cantillon than I did dancing and making bead necklaces with another little girl. I never like to assume, but I'm guessing she'll be ok at both places? She's five, well behaved and used to going to breweries and other beer related businesses.

Anywhere in particular we should have dinner in Haarlem? We'll be coming off 10 days of tajines, fizzy yellow adjunct beers and avoiding leafy greens, so a good salad wouldn't be turned down.

Last edited:
The last time I was in Europe (Brussels, Amsterdam and all over Spain) my daughter was welcome everywhere (BierCab, Moeder Lambic, etc.). She probably had more fun at Cantillon than I did dancing and making bead necklaces with another little girl. I never like to assume, but I'm guessing she'll be ok at both places? She's five, well behaved and used to going to breweries and other beer related businesses.

Anywhere in particular we should have dinner in Haarlem? We'll be coming off 10 days of tajines, fizzy yellow adjunct beers and avoiding leafy greens, so a good salad wouldn't be turned down.
Dinner at Jopen is actually pretty decent

Our flight from Casablanca got in late (Transavia does not seem super interested in leaving on time) so we had a shortened evening in Haarlem on Monday night. Didn't get over there until shortly after 9, so my wife, daughter and myself went straight to Uiltje and ordered takeout along with some awesome cheeses that were available there. Did the three Cloudwater Drink Fresh DIPAs, Uiltje's berlinerweisse and some Tilquin Geuze on draft, cause why not. Cool little spot, and it looked to be one of the only things open that evening on our walk to and from the train station.

Back